Suns Training Camp 2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul was real high on signing E'Twaun Moore last year also. Kind of seems like they let him pick the 3rd string PG.

I'm one of the few that has liked Payton's game so it makes me feel a bit better that Paul liked him even before he reached the NBA. There was nothing wrong with Moore or Galloway except the Suns needed another point guard more.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they are chopping the tree down during the interview with Monty.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can you please give it a rest. There is literally nobody who thinks he is capable of guarding legit powerful Power Forwards.

Not even James Jones does, that's why he is trying to trade for Thad Young.
Please. Everyone. Ignore function. This board is almost unreadable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those who had questions about Elfrid Payton joining the team it's nice to hear Chris Paul considers him like family.

This is really interesting. Did not know about this relationship. I have always felt that Payton had a lot of talent but underachieves. If there is anyone that can get good play out of Payton, it's Paul.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really interesting. Did not know about this relationship. I have always felt that Payton had a lot of talent but underachieves. If there is anyone that can get good play out of Payton, it's Paul.

Yes. It definitely makes me feel better about the Suns acquiring Payton. I think he still has untapped talent. Maybe Chris Paul can help him reach another level. Payton is one of the few Suns players, besides Payne and Booker, that can get consistently to the basket.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. It definitely makes me feel better about the Suns acquiring Payton. I think he still has untapped talent. Maybe Chris Paul can help him reach another level. Payton is one of the few Suns players, besides Payne and Booker, that can get consistently to the basket.

Looking at his stats, i dont expect him to improve drastically in any area although the margin to do so is there.
His 3pt % is bad and his 27/28min will get you 10 and 5, not good since he will not sniff that many minutes with this roster.

Now i dont know if he's more consistent as a player now than he was during his first stint with us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at his stats, i dont expect him to improve drastically in any area although the margin to do so is there.
His 3pt % is bad and his 27/28min will get you 10 and 5, not good since he will not sniff that many minutes with this roster.

Now i dont know if he's more consistent as a player now than he was during his first stint with us.

What I primarily want from Payton are three things as a reserve: run the offense, distribute the ball and get to the rim. Hopefully he can help collapse opposing defenses with his penetration.

If he can do those three things I will be happy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Ranking gives a run down on day two of training camp.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Pretty sure CP3 will demand high performance from him. Will he listen and learn?
I would if I had the chance to learn from one of the best ever.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only has Deandre Ayton arrived in training camp in top shape, he is also telling the coaches what he wants to accomplish.

By Kellan Olson Arizona Sports:

“I put a lot of work behind it this offseason,” Ayton said. “Me and coach been talking and I’ve been telling him the things I want to do. That’s a step for me, where I’m telling the coaches what I want to do now, and being more of a threat on this offensive end to help my team win.”

When a reporter followed up on what Ayton wanted to do exactly, he replied with, “Everything. Every single thing, man. The game has completely changed. Mainly, just being a force down low and getting to that line, pushing that ball and just being more swift in our offense.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only has Deandre Ayton arrived in training camp in top shape, he is also telling the coaches what he wants to accomplish.

“I put a lot of work behind it this offseason,” Ayton said. “Me and coach been talking and I’ve been telling him the things I want to do. That’s a step for me, where I’m telling the coaches what I want to do now, and being more of a threat on this offensive end to help my team win.”

When a reporter followed up on what Ayton wanted to do exactly, he replied with, “Everything. Every single thing, man. The game has completely changed. Mainly, just being a force down low and getting to that line, pushing that ball and just being more swift in our offense.”

You back up those words with action on the floor and we become almost unstoppable, Big Man.

Now let’s see it!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton has been saying the "right things" for the most part since getting drafted. I will put stock in what I see on the court not what he says. Not taking anything away from him having the right attitude but none of that matters. Only what happens on the court. What is encouraging is this indicates to me he sees his potential now to dominate with improving this part of his game. Maybe that's the proverbial light bulb? We shall see.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If he just gets to the line more and replicates everything else it will have a huge impact on the game. Our collective scoring as a team increases, it places the opposition in foul trouble. So forget about the everything deandre, just do that as an add-on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton has been saying the "right things" for the most part since getting drafted. I will put stock in what I see on the court not what he says. Not taking anything away from him having the right attitude but none of that matters. Only what happens on the court. What is encouraging is this indicates to me he sees his potential now to dominate with improving this part of his game. Maybe that's the proverbial light bulb? We shall see.
FTs will speak loudly about what he’s willing to do.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FTs will speak loudly about what he’s willing to do.
Depends on what part of his offensive game develops. If it's jumpers away from the basket and he gets really good at it I will take that too. As you stated above though it sure would be nice for him to play more around the rim (power game) and get others into foul trouble while getting to the line more.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the playoffs he did a much better job of keeping the ball high when he got the ball in the paint, if he can combine that with also going at the rim instead of fading away it will do wonders for his efficiency.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the playoffs he did a much better job of keeping the ball high when he got the ball in the paint, if he can combine that with also going at the rim instead of fading away it will do wonders for his efficiency.
On the flipside what made GREAT centers great is not only the inside game but being a legit threat around the paint. It draws out the defenders and opens up cutters. I am so anxious to see what he has been "working" on in the offseason.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shortest off season I can remember. Maybe because they where in the finales again or Covid. All the Suns young guys need to improve but did they have the time. I know Mikal was with some NBAers, Ayton came in shape that's huge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave