Suns @ Trail Blazers 10-10-18 (preseason finale)

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 10, 2018.

1. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I think Booker will help some, but with the dregs of the league at PG, I fear a team this young is going to struggle mightily until Ayton becomes what we hope he'll be... which is one of the most dominant forces in the league. That could change a lot, but it won't likely happen for at least a season or two.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I think both are the case. The average player hits his peak around 26. We have talent but most of it is well under that.

3. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker Contributor

My biggest issue is that Booker isn't really going to help on the defensive end. If anything, he's liable to make it worse. I get it though, defensive schemes are complicated and take time to work through the kinks. I just hope the team perseveres through these rough patches to get to a point where they can build that hive-mind like defensive execution.

4. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

The defense might look a lot better when our offense is more effective. Another problem with young players, they often lose defensive focus when things aren't going well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Errntknght like this.
  5. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

I'll tell you late next Wednesday night.

6. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

What I liked about the preseason?

It appears as though Ayton is going to be an all-star caliber player straight out of the gate and looks WAY better defensively than even his most bullish supporters thought he'd be at this stage.

I also liked the ball movement they displayed during the bouts of competence. Igor's system looks very promising. It has the makings of a very efficient system that will create a lot of open looks, it's just a question of the players buying into it and how long it takes for a roster of so many young guys to learn it.

I think Booker/Ariza/Anderson/Ayton and... someone who at least knows where to move will be a very potent lineup on offense very quickly. When 2 or 3 of those guys are off the court I think we're going to get thrashed on a regular basis.

What I didn't like?

Josh Jackson's play. (WARNING: this is not me remotely endorsing trading him or thinking he won't pan out). He continues to play recklessly. He has a ton of talent and potential in every aspect of the game, but he seems like he's trying to do and be 3 things at once. Hopefully when Booker is out there he won't feel as free to throw away possessions.

The point guards. (WARNING AGAIN: this was to be expected and I don't endorse a panic trade). I'd hoped one of them would look like, at least, a serviceable rotation player who could mascaraed as a starter here and there. But no. Harrison is no vision, Canaan is a jack of no-trades, Okobo isn't ready (but I think will be usable by the end of the year) and Melton belongs in the G-league. The defense that Harrison and Melton were supposed to possess was also a no-show.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Errntknght likes this.
  7. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

The only player on our bench that looks like a NBA player at this point is TJ Warren.

Chandler needs to be better.

Harrison, Reed, Daniels, Okobo, Canaan, Melton, Bender, Holmes, King simply are not rotation players in the NBA.

It is a bit much to have 9 players on the roster that really are not viable players right now.

Mikal Bridges there is hope he can play backup minutes this year maybe.

8. devilalum

devilalum Salary Cap Casualty

Good to see Tyson Chandler leading the team in assists last night.

9. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

I'd rather have him at PG than Bender.

devilalum likes this.
  10. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

yes, that's the story in a nutshell. too much dead weight will anchor us to the bottom this season
    that, and no pg, is why the GM was fired

Ayton and Booker, and pulling for Josh to get his act together, will be enough to keep me watching.

Ayton and Booker have to be healthy though. without one of them, and without a pg, it will become too painful to watch.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  11. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

Oh come the F on. In no way did I dismiss that. However we look a lot different with a much tighter rotation and Booker playing. Does that mean we win this game with everyone playing on both sides? Not necessarily, but we would be executing a lot better in that situation.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Agreed but the addition of the blazers bestvtwo players likely keeps the margin consistent. So we might look better but the result likely remains the same if everyone plays.

13. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Its the final game of preseason. Time to evaluate the end of the bench players. It is probably the worst of all games to try to take away anything from.

Chris_Sanders likes this.
  14. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I didn't see the effort on defense last night either. This is the second time in preseason the Trail Blazers have bulldozed the Suns. Anything the Blazers wanted to do, it was there for the taking. If the Suns play defense like this in the regular season it's going to be a long year.

Errntknght likes this.
  15. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

The Blazers have our number. It's not unusual for a team to have an edge on another team even though when comparing rosters it doesn't look like they are that much different. The Blazers have a lot of junk on their roster outside of Lillard and McCollum. I'm not saying we're better than them but our talent compared to ours should not lead to the blowouts the last 2 games have been. It's preseason though so it's nothing to worry about too much, especially since the Blazers aren't in our division. They're also a playoff team so getting throttled by them is better than getting owned by the Kings, for example. I think the Blazers have had the Suns number for a while though, it didn't start this preseason. They always seem to thump us pretty good.