Suns @ Trail Blazers 10-10-18 (preseason finale)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Anderson, Ariza and Warren have played 18 minutes combined so far. And Nurkic and Curry are far more experienced than our young guys. But we're talking about the team, not a couple of players on both teams.
Exactly. Almost all of the guys that will play big minutes in the regular season has played less than 10 minutes in this game. Couple that with Booker not playing at all. This game would look a lot different right now with everyone playing and the rotation being much tighter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly. Almost all of the guys that will play big minutes in the regular season has played less than 10 minutes in this game. Couple that with Booker not playing at all. This game would look a lot different right now with everyone playing and the rotation being much tighter.

If that's what is going on, we have a lot of players that should not be on the roster come next week, starting with all of our point guards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns defense looked bad. I'm not sure this can be sugar coated.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The defense has just been atrocious. Sure, Portland is making some shots, but a lot of them are wide open or on offensive rebounds where nobody rotated down to box out. It's ugly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If that's what is going on, we have a lot of players that should not be on the roster come next week, starting with all of our point guards.
What do you expect right now? Everyone knows we won't be a good team this year, but regardless of that we won't be nearly this bad with all of the main rotation players playing big minutes.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
How can these games not be on tv? We have a million channels. I tried the link but it was unwatchable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can these games not be on tv? We have a million channels. I tried the link but it was unwatchable.

There are other links listed on Reddit. Some are usable... some not so much.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Suns have picked up Bender's option?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
There are other links listed on Reddit. Some are usable... some not so much.

Got it to work, but it's still frustrating that I can't rewind or fastforward. I know I'm spoiled, but it's hard to watch a game without being able to rewind or fastforward through free throws and timeouts.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
What do you expect right now? Everyone knows we won't be a good team this year, but regardless of that we won't be nearly this bad with all of the main rotation players playing big minutes.
I don't expect to win, but certainly better effort on both ends on the floor. Better rotations on defense, and running the offensive scheme. There were a number of plays that just broke down and became a free for all on offense, while Portland's players are thoroughly slicing through our "defense".

The only solace is that it's the end of the bench that's causing the grief, tough the starters (minus Booker of course) weren't much better. Ayton has looked ok, but foul trouble has limited his action.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of 3rd quarter:

Blazers 88 - Suns 64

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bender, chandler, harrison, Reed, and Daniels.

This lineup is like a comedy crew on offense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Obviously in this pre-season finale, the Suns bench is getting most of the playing time in a blowout.

How do you guys feel about the pre-season? Not including General Manager moves, do you think the Coach did the right things to have the team ready for the opener?

If not, what might you suggest should have been done?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is bad. How do Portland's scrubs look like All Stars against us. I mean they have guys with zero draft pedigree just torching us. We can't get meaningful contributions from high draft picks like Bender. I think the losing culture has taken too stong a hold on this franchise and I'm not sure what can be done.
Team chemistry. Blazers playing have been playing together in their coach’s system for a long time compared to what the Suns have going on.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't expect to win, but certainly better effort on both ends on the floor. Better rotations on defense, and running the offensive scheme. There were a number of plays that just broke down and became a free for all on offense, while Portland's players are thoroughly slicing through our "defense".

The only solace is that it's the end of the bench that's causing the grief, tough the starters (minus Booker of course) weren't much better. Ayton has looked ok, but foul trouble has limited his action.
Again. Most of our main rotation players have hardly played tonight. That includes our best player not playing at all. This is not a direct indication of how good or bad the team is going to be.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it to work, but it's still frustrating that I can't rewind or fastforward. I know I'm spoiled, but it's hard to watch a game without being able to rewind or fastforward through free throws and timeouts.

I'm glad you got it working. There are not many perks on sports streams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well here are some of my thoughts

I want Harrison gone. He sucks. Much rather have Canaan get all his minutes.

I don't want Tyson Chandler to see the floor - He's glued to it, and Holmes looks much better to me.

Send Bender to the G-league or cut him, or trade him or whatever - he should not be on the team

Reed seems useless. Cant get his shot off unless he is wide open.

Starters should be

Canaan
Booker
Ariza
Anderson
Ayton

Bench players getting minutes in order of time - to start the season
Warren
Jackson
Melton
Holmes
Daniels
Bridges

Nobody else deserves to get off the bench IMO

I do like the motion offense, it is getting us some open looks, should get better as the year goes on.

Defense on the other hand is not looking good

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know this won't be popular, but Bender has had some really good passes in this game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BENDER!!!
Well here are some of my thoughts

I want Harrison gone. He sucks. Much rather have Canaan get all his minutes.

I don't want Tyson Chandler to see the floor - He's glued to it, and Holmes looks much better to me.

Send Bender to the G-league or cut him, or trade him or whatever - he should not be on the team

Reed seems useless. Cant get his shot off unless he is wide open.

Starters should be

Canaan
Booker
Ariza
Anderson
Ayton

Bench players getting minutes in order of time - to start the season
Warren
Jackson
Melton
Holmes
Daniels
Bridges

Nobody else deserves to get off the bench IMO

I do like the motion offense, it is getting us some open looks, should get better as the year goes on.

Defense on the other hand is not looking good
Anderson is not starting caliber. Everytime Ayton rotates to help, Anderson does not rotate to Ayton's guy and that guy ends up scoring or getting the offensive rebound off the miss.

Anderson is an off the bench shooter and that's it.

Ariza should start at the 4 and either Jackson or Warren at the 3.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns shouldn't have any difficult cuts. They should watch the waiver wire closely.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Blazers 116 - Suns 83

It certainly was not a feel good game for the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe some let down after the GS game where they really brought it. We are probably not near the level where we can consistently bring the level of play we did at GS, each and every night.