Suns @ Timberwolves Sunday game thread 2-28-2021

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Now would actually be the right time to buy low (not that it still wouldn’t cost an arm/leg) on a player of his caliber but I’m not sure his mindset with the injuries and family tragedies. Maybe he needs a change of scenery for more than one reason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now would actually be the right time to buy low (not that it still wouldn’t cost an arm/leg) on a player of his caliber but I’m not sure his mindset with the injuries and family tragedies. Maybe he needs a change of scenery for more than one reason.

I can see that but for us it would have to be Ayton plus assets and I just think that's a bad move. As I recall Towns was a more polished player entering the league and with his age he's probably fairly close to being a finished product. DA is still on the upswing and even right now I'm not sure Towns impacts the game at a much higher level than Ayton.

Kat is a more prolific scorer but that's mostly due to volume. Despite the knock about DA avoiding contact when he shoots, there really isn't much difference between their effectiveness as scorers. And for the season, DA actually has a higher TS%.

The real issue for me is that with Booker we will always have a premium scorer that requires a backstop on defense. Ayton gives us so much more potential in that area that I'd pass even on a straight up swap.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
They are both risks when it comes to max deals (and for similar reasons) but Ayton plays both ends of the court (sometimes). The big advantage on the Kat side is the Booker connection but unless that's a make or break issue, I'd rather have the inconsistent but sometimes elite defender who is almost 3 years younger.

Maxing out Ayton means you're betting on his potential. KAT is a known commodity and isnt likely to improve much, especially on his putrid defense. Meanwhile, Ayton is the 2nd youngest player on the team and is more than likely only scratching the surface.

It wouldnt surprise me if Ayton became the more well-rounded player by the time he's 25.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All I’m saying, and I’m the bad guy here, is that in a game we struggled for three quarters, we need more than 12 good minutes of play from Ayton.

We were just awful for 3 quarters. Glad we win, but you can’t simply ignore that.
Sure I can....we won. Season has been wonderful. After 10yrs of dog crap this has been awesome.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can see that but for us it would have to be Ayton plus assets and I just think that's a bad move. As I recall Towns was a more polished player entering the league and with his age he's probably fairly close to being a finished product. DA is still on the upswing and even right now I'm not sure Towns impacts the game at a much higher level than Ayton.

Kat is a more prolific scorer but that's mostly due to volume. Despite the knock about DA avoiding contact when he shoots, there really isn't much difference between their effectiveness as scorers. And for the season, DA actually has a higher TS%.

The real issue for me is that with Booker we will always have a premium scorer that requires a backstop on defense. Ayton gives us so much more potential in that area that I'd pass even on a straight up swap.

Towns is so much better offensively that I’d sacrifice Ayton’s edge on D. He can score from anywhere and you can run the offense through him. I’m never betting on DA making all-defense cause he goes thru too many stretches where he provides zero resistance protecting the rim. Other times he looks effective at it. The constant swings drive me nuts since college and it wears on the player/coaches. You can deal with it on a rookie salary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr