Suns @ Spurs - Game Thread - Friday May 18, 2007 - 6:30pm

sunsfn

Reaction score
Friday, 6:30pm at Spurs TV: FSN AZ, ESPN

AP Sports Writer Andrew Bagnato in Phoenix contributed to this report.
By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Talking about Amare Stoudemire's return Friday night for Game 6, Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni went for the understatement.
"That'll help," D'Antoni said Thursday.

Stoudemire and Boris Diaw were suspended for Game 5 on Wednesday night for leaving the bench during a minor scuffle late in Game 4. Without the two players, the Suns lost 88-85 and the Spurs grabbed a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series.
"Every time you go through some tough times, and we have this year, we've snapped back from it," D'Antoni said.
Still, while Stoudemire's return will be key to getting a road win and staying alive Friday night, the Suns didn't wallow in his Game 5 absence.
"Although we were interrupted, that wasn't on our mind after the game. `If we just had Amare. If we just had Boris,"' Suns star Steve Nash said. "We were thinking, 'If I just made this play. ... If I made this shot."'
The Spurs went a little easier on the Suns, applauding their undermanned effort.

"We fought the whole way through. We made it a 48-minute game, a la Phoenix in the last game," Tim Duncan said Wednesday. "Credit to them for playing as short-handed as they did."
Nash, Raja Bell and Shawn Marion each played more than 45 minutes Wednesday to make up for the suspended players. Kurt Thomas, who averaged 18 minutes during the regular season, played 36 minutes.
"We all had to play a lot of minutes, and I'm sure we were all tired last night," Nash said. "But you bounce back, you take care of yourself and you get your rest."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he's not relying on any fatigue Phoenix might have to help his team close out the series.
"One more game doesn't tire anybody out or not playing a game doesn't make you any more fresh," Popovich said.

The Spurs' Robert Horry will sit out again Friday. His flagrant foul that sent Nash tumbling into the scorer's table on Monday and a forearm to Bell in the subsequent scrum just before the Suns sealed a 104-98 victory resulted in a two-game suspension. Stoudemire and Diaw left the bench, but didn't reach the confrontation.
Horry has averaged 6.4 points during the playoffs.

Helpless to prevent his team's loss, Stoudemire said he's more than ready to travel to San Antonio, where some fans have dubbed him "Stoude-whiner" for comments earlier in the series calling the Spurs a "dirty team" and criticizing Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili in particular.
"We understand what it takes to win in a hostile environment," Stoudemire said. "It's going to be pretty exciting. Their fans are going to be pretty amped, and so will I."

The Spurs traveled back to San Antonio on Thursday.
"We still have a lot of work to do here," Popovich said after the team landed at the airport. "And tomorrow's going to be a heck of a challenge against a very good team."

Phoenix is confident it can pick up Friday's road game to force a return to Arizona for Game 7. The Suns won Game 4 in San Antonio, while the Spurs have won twice on the road this series. The Suns were 28-13 on the road during the regular season, while the Spurs lost just 10 at home.
"I felt confident at the start of the series and I feel confident now," Nash said. "It hasn't gone our way thus far. We've had a lot of breaks go against us, but we still feel like we've got a great opportunity here. We're a capable road team."

The winner of the series will meet the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference finals.
"We've got to play like it's our last game because it is our last game if we lose," Diaw said.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Go Suns!!!!!! Lets Do This Guys!!!!

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Payback time against the Spurs

Go Suns :suns:

FSN Arizona adds an alternate channel Friday to ensure it can televise both Game 6 of the Suns-Spurs series as well as the Diamondbacks-Pirates game.

"FSN Arizona Plus" televises both games. The Diamondbacks start at 4:05 p.m., and the Suns pregame show begins at 6 p.m. The Diamondbacks telecast has been offered to all of FSN Arizona's cable and satellite partners on FSN Arizona Plus. Friday night the main FSN Arizona channel will start its coverage of Diamondbacks baseball from Pittsburgh at 3:30 p.m. with the pregame show. First pitch follows at 4:05 p.m. At 6 p.m., viewers will be switched to the Suns pregame show from the Fox Sports Grill in Scottsdale.

Fans wanting to continue to watch the Diamondbacks can then turn over to FSN Arizona Plus for the continuing coverage of the baseball game. The systems that have agreed to add this channel are listed below, along with the channel location for the baseball game.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0517dbtv0518c07.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Bump,

This almost got lost way down there.........

Lots of new threads today!

4:03 pm...............2+ hours!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets go suns one game at a time BEAT THE EVIL EMPIRE EYES ON THE PRIZE :)

AZZenny

Reaction score
I am really jumpy today and it's gotten moreso as the afternoon rolls on -- PUMPED!!!!

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I am really jumpy today and it's gotten moreso as the afternoon rolls on -- PUMPED!!!!

I had a follow-up check at the doctor's office this morning. Lost four pounds in a week and my blood pressure was up. My doc accepted my explanation and agreed it was probably only temporary.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Spurs favored by 2.5 or 3 tonight. As I understand it, there's a lot of "dumb money" on the Suns, which usually isn't a good sign.

With Bavetta out there and the Spurs at home, you can pretty much write off any chance of Duncan getting into foul trouble. Unlike Eddie F. Rush, Bavetta won't need the Spurs' bench to remind him before he starts to hand Duncan's fouls to other players.

I'd love to see the Suns come out and make some shots, and I'd love to see Barbosa have a productive game. I don't know if it's ironic, but the only player I'm not worried about tonight is Boris.

Time to see whether the Suns have enough class (no, not that kind) to overcome the extra obstacles the league has strewn in front of them...

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yup theirs always gametime chat for big games like these

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Really can't let big nose penetrate. Its tough to stop by he's the guy that can destroy us. Need to negate him.

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Man Bell needs to hit some 3's! And Diaw isn't being very aggressive. Lets go Frenchy you marshmellow!

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
TOO MUCH HESITATION ON OFFENSE. Too much passing and not enough attacking on offense. Steve needs to score more. Spurs suck. Thats all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave