Suns small ball lineups

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
STIX IS A PF.
Just not an NBA PF...yet! Muscles are good but weight is where its at in the post. I think he has the work ethic the skills AND the IQ. He will blossom within the next 2 or 3 years if he keeps working on size. But will he be a SUN?
Forget Summer League its a pissing contest for people with swollen prostates and it proves or disproves nothing.
Sometimes you need to be thrown in the fire to grow. I played Varsity in 7th grade I got bussed over from the Jr high, I needed to get kicked around a little bit before I got my bearings. Everyone was bigger stronger than me so I had to adapt.
I think Stix CAN do it but do we have the time?

If given time, I think the Jalen Smith we saw play for Maryland is still there. He does have skills.

The Suns do need to find a contributor with the open roster spot though.

Both Saric and Smith may be welcome contributors in the 2022-23 season or minimally used in a trade later this season.

1Sun

Banned
Reaction score
STIX IS A PF.
Just not an NBA PF...yet! Muscles are good but weight is where its at in the post. I think he has the work ethic the skills AND the IQ. He will blossom within the next 2 or 3 years if he keeps working on size. But will he be a SUN?
Forget Summer League its a pissing contest for people with swollen prostates and it proves or disproves nothing.
Sometimes you need to be thrown in the fire to grow. I played Varsity in 7th grade I got bussed over from the Jr high, I needed to get kicked around a little bit before I got my bearings. Everyone was bigger stronger than me so I had to adapt.
I think Stix CAN do it but do we have the time?

If it were just a matter of experience, physical (or even mental) maturity or strength, sure. The problem, however, is that his disproportionate physique makes him incredibly awkward and uncoordinated on the court. This isn't something the Suns can afford to try to work through if they want to try to contend for a championship. Steady progression cannot be expected, and the lack of coordination presents a significant risk of injury to other Suns players, not unlike what happened with Randy Livingston and Tom Gugliotta. I don't want to see CP3, Booker or Ayton blow out a knee due to a predictably awkward fall or misstep by Stix.

1Sun

Banned
Reaction score
If given time, I think the Jalen Smith we saw play for Maryland is still there. He does have skills.

If the Suns can find a contributor with the open roster spot I'm willing to roll with Saric and Smith. Both may be welcome contributors in the 2022-23 season or minimally used in a trade later this season.

Saric won't be ready to roll for at least a year. If Summer League is any indication, Smith might never be ready to roll. And as Alex Len showed, it doesn't take much to put up numbers like Stix put up at Maryland...just some height and a modicum of ability. That's a massive difference from being an actual NBA player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns do need to find a contributor with the open roster spot though.

Both Saric and Smith may be welcome contributors in the 2022-23 season or minimally used in a trade later this season.
He also may never get there. The Suns have to plan for that too which I think you do but doing exactly what you said here. Find another contributor.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also may never get there. The Suns have to plan for that too which I think you do but doing exactly what you said here. Find another contributor.
Yeah he may never get there, he might be a future superstar and anything in between. We have our guesses but by now I would expect the coaching staff and front office to have a pretty good feel for this kid and whether or not he is likely to succeed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MylerKurray