Suns sign Javale McGee

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam J wasn't getting the playing time in the playoffs because his defense was atrocious, and because he was getting bullied off the court. He really needs his time to come at the 3 at this point, not the 4.

Meanwhile, Nader is 3 inches shorter than Craig. It's a stretch to play him at the 3. It would be beyond laughable to play him at the 4 or as a small-ball 5.

When was the last time a 6'5" shooting guard played center in the NBA?

Say you don't watch Suns games without saying you don't watch the actual games.

What a joke.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm ok with Javale every team needs a mascot. He's a big body and can set a screen, Shamet works really well off the screen. Big plus for the second team.
As far as Kawai goes I think that may be a pipe dream. But I would take Kawai if they had to amputate one of his legs.
He would still be better than Elie Okbozo.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here is some video about the impression JaVale McGee made on Chris Paul.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's great Javale will play harder for CP3, because of that 1 min talk.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was AT some of the games in person. I saw what I saw.

Your bias against Cam Johnson says otherwise.

Also Nader regularly played SF last season.

I don't care if you sat on the bench, you didn't pay attention if you come up with awful takes like that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Your bias against Cam Johnson says otherwise.

Also Nader regularly played SF last season.

I don't care if you sat on the bench, you didn't pay attention if you come up with awful takes like that.

I have actually said I think Cam can play a nice role as a sweet shooting 3 off the bench. I also said that the bubble version of Cam J could make for a nice back-up stretch 4. Unfortunately, Cam J couldn't hold the weight/bulk, as it was entirely gone this past season. As a result, he struggled mightily defending and rebounding at the 4. Playing him at the 4 now is playing him out of position, and he is absolutely ill-equipped to play a small-ball 5 like Craig did at times.

As for Nader, yes he played small forward...out of position and with marginal effectiveness. You honestly think he is equipped to play the 4 or 5?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have actually said I think Cam can play a nice role as a sweet shooting 3 off the bench. I also said that the bubble version of Cam J could make for a nice back-up stretch 4. Unfortunately, Cam J couldn't hold the weight/bulk, as it was entirely gone this past season. As a result, he struggled mightily defending and rebounding at the 4. Playing him at the 4 now is playing him out of position, and he is absolutely ill-equipped to play a small-ball 5 like Craig did at times.

As for Nader, yes he played small forward...out of position and with marginal effectiveness. You honestly think he is equipped to play the 4 or 5?

You said Cam J was getting bullied off the court in the playoffs and was playing atrocious defense. Neither of those things are true.

There's no discussing things with you. You are unreasonable and refuse to accept anything other than a negative view on things. You are beyond pessimistic. You aren't a "this glass is half empty" guy, you're a "this glass is full of **** guy". I'm done.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Bucks bullied the crap out of us in the finals, and I don't see that strategy changing. Their ability to get second shots and shut down our drivers was a real problem, and I don't see the necessary additions in size or creation have been added to see a different outcome.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam J wasn't getting the playing time in the playoffs because his defense was atrocious, and because he was getting bullied off the court. He really needs his time to come at the 3 at this point, not the 4.

Meanwhile, Nader is 3 inches shorter than Craig. It's a stretch to play him at the 3. It would be beyond laughable to play him at the 4 or as a small-ball 5.

When was the last time a 6'5" shooting guard played center in the NBA?
I see you’re still capable of trash takes in complete denial of reality.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bucks bullied the crap out of us in the finals, and I don't see that strategy changing. Their ability to get second shots and shut down our drivers was a real problem, and I don't see the necessary additions in size or creation have been added to see a different outcome.
McGee is more defensive minded than any backup bigs we had. So he is not afraid to mix it up. That adds some toughness to our bigs and gives the Suns another option other than putting Crowder on an island when Ayton goes to the bench. I am not saying it's enough but it does address some of that. The Suns can't be done adding size. I hope.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Personally I feel all of Craigs minutes should all go to Cam Johnson. I feel he more than earned them the way he was playing in the playoffs, and he was not getting enough playing time.

Nice to now have Nader as well, who I think can be comprable to Craig if he gets worked into the rotation.
Agree. Can Johnson is ready for larger role. I hope he gets a little stronger and works on his handles. And yeah, of healthy Nader gives us hustle and a guy willing to drive the hole.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Paul can once again shoot, handle the ball and pass, I don't see the Bucks or any team shutting down our drivers. We're going to give up a little in the power positions against a lot of teams, that's typically the case for any team whose talent lies mainly in the guard spots but as Ayton develops, that becomes less of an issue.

Make both teams healthy and I have zero concerns about beating the Bucks going forward. My concerns are more about beating the Lakers, Nets, 76ers, Clippers, Nuggets, Jazz and maybe even the Hawks but not so much the Bucks.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Make both teams healthy and I have zero concerns about beating the Bucks going forward. My concerns are more about beating the Lakers, Nets, 76ers, Clippers, Nuggets, Jazz and maybe even the Hawks but not so much the Bucks.
I hope you're right...we were cruising through teams without much resistance, and then just got beat up 4 games in a row, and many of the issues were the same in those games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right...we were cruising through teams without much resistance, and then just got beat up 4 games in a row, and many of the issues were the same in those games.

Watching Paul try to defend, dribble or pass was almost painful. He pushed through the pain for stretches but for much of the time he was a huge liability. No way do we lose those leads if Paul is healthy IMO. I don't mean it as an excuse, lots of teams were injured, but looking forward that team just doesn't worry me. And there are plenty of teams that do.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm surprised you feel that way. I still think the Bucks are more of a problem than anyone we faced. Giannis was clearly the most dominant player we faced, and they neutralized Booker/CP and especially Ayton quite effectively.

Bucks scare me more than retirement home Lakers, broken Clips, and whatever Utah/Denver has to offer.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you feel that way. I still think the Bucks are more of a problem than anyone we faced. Giannis was clearly the most dominant player we faced, and they neutralized Booker/CP and especially Ayton quite effectively.

Bucks scare me more than retirement home Lakers, broken Clips, and whatever Utah/Denver has to offer.

I think the Bucks will have more problems getting out of the East next year. The Heat got a lot better, the Nets are super dangerous and should be better, Philly is still a contender. The Bucks lost PJ and won't be able to replace him since they're in tax hell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking them lightly but I think it'll be harder for them to repeat in the East than us in the West.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Agree. Can Johnson is ready for larger role. I hope he gets a little stronger and works on his handles. And yeah, of healthy Nader gives us hustle and a guy willing to drive the hole.
I agree as well. Cam Johnson probably has more balls than anyone else on this team. That dude will take a three with zero hesitation, he'll drive inside not giving a crap who is waiting for him in the paint. I just love watching this kid- he is afraid of nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Bucks will have more problems getting out of the East next year. The Heat got a lot better, the Nets are super dangerous and should be better, Philly is still a contender. The Bucks lost PJ and won't be able to replace him since they're in tax hell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking them lightly but I think it'll be harder for them to repeat in the East than us in the West.

I think the Knicks and Bulls might surprise.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree as well. Cam Johnson probably has more balls than anyone else on this team. That dude will take a three with zero hesitation, he'll drive inside not giving a crap who is waiting for him in the paint. I just love watching this kid- he is afraid of nothing.

He has balls, but here's the rub: Does he have muscle?

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Chances of facing the bucks in next years finals is slim to none. We need to prepare for and worry about a healthy Western Conf.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chances of facing the bucks in next years finals is slim to none. We need to prepare for and worry about a healthy Western Conf.

agreed. and the Nets.

the reality is that the greater source of improvement should come from within this team. If Ayton and Bridges are going to get big time extensions, they need to match those dollars with improved play across the board.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Totally agree. Cam is one of my favorite players in the entire NBA....maybe because of the negative reaction so many on this board had to the Suns drafting him.

His defense is improving quite a bit and he is a smart, tough player.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
agreed. and the Nets.

the reality is that the greater source of improvement should come from within this team. If Ayton and Bridges are going to get big time extensions, they need to match those dollars with improved play across the board.

Completely agree. Ayton, Bridges, Booker, Johnson, and even Payne should all get a little bit better (Booker should get better mentally and avoid those little but costly mistakes). If the Suns win it all, it will be because of their core getting better and developing properly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose