Suns sign Javale McGee

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd do this so people don't need to dig through the free agency thread for Suns moves. We've also resigned Cam Payne and Chris Paul, details for those deals are in the Chris Paul thread.

Suns have signed McGee to a 1 year deal for approximately $5 million dollars.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wanted Noel but he was probably too good to only play 12-15 minutes a game and got $30+ mil. This was a perfect signing.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I knew JaVale was pretty decent...but damn read his bio...hes exactly what we need! Had like 12 blocks in a game once and that was part of his triple double...I think with Paul boy is getting atleast 4 more points a game

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew JaVale was pretty decent...but damn read his bio...hes exactly what we need! Had like 12 blocks in a game once and that was part of his triple double...I think with Paul boy is getting atleast 4 more points a game
Yeah I think he's one of the better signings we could have hoped for.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McGee is the rare story of a goofball/knucklehead slowly evolving into a solid player. About 4 years ago I would have been nauseated to sign him, but now with our culture and his late maturity... this is a no brainer.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it. Its about what I expected, realistically. McGee is a good backup, which is what was needed. We weren't going to get anyone other than a veteran closer to the end of their career than beginning. Someone younger than 30 wasn't going to sign to be Ayton's backup.

Noel wasn't going to happen, neither was Holmes. Guys like that want to be paid and playing time. We couldn't really offer either of those things.

I would have liked someone who could play alongside Ayton but maybe Ayton can work on his range this summer and we might be able to see a few minutes of McGee/Ayton if the matchup calls for it.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like this signing. Is Kaminsky and Craig still on the team?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like it. Its about what I expected, realistically. McGee is a good backup, which is what was needed. We weren't going to get anyone other than a veteran closer to the end of their career than beginning. Someone younger than 30 wasn't going to sign to be Ayton's backup.

Noel wasn't going to happen, neither was Holmes. Guys like that want to be paid and playing time. We couldn't really offer either of those things.

I would have liked someone who could play alongside Ayton but maybe Ayton can work on his range this summer and we might be able to see a few minutes of McGee/Ayton if the matchup calls for it.

After some thought, I have warmed to the McGee signing as Ayton's back-up (he DOES provide the rebounding, interior defense and rim protection we so desperately need), with 2 provisos:

1. We still need an actual 4. The roster doesn't have one and hasn't had one since Chriss was jettisoned (not that Chriss was any good, but he WAS an actual 4, rather than a 3 or a 5 masquerading as a 4).

2. Sarver needs to put his money where his mouth is and actually use the full MLE, BAE and Disabled Player Exception to improve the roster.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After some thought, I have warmed to the McGee signing as Ayton's back-up (he DOES provide the rebounding, interior defense and rim protection we so desperately need), with 2 provisos:

1. We still need an actual 4. The roster doesn't have one and hasn't had one since Chriss was jettisoned (not that Chriss was any good, but he WAS an actual 4, rather than a 3 or a 5 masquerading as a 4).

2. Sarver needs to put his money where his mouth is and actually use the full MLE, BAE and Disabled Player Exception to improve the roster.

Spending money just to spend money would make us the Knicks. If we can add a piece that helps with the remaining funds available, great, but we shouldn't spend just to spend. All that does is create a high priced bench warmer. If there is a rotation piece out there for roughly $4 million, great, lets get them but we've already got a solid 9 man rotation right now.

Ayton - McGee
Crowder - Cam J
Mikal - Cam J
Booker - Shamet
Paul - Payne

That also gives us a little flexibility to get Jalen Smith some reps.

I'm totally fine with saving the DPE and a roster spot to add a piece later.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

The McGhee and Shamit signings improve this roster…

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spending money just to spend money would make us the Knicks. If we can add a piece that helps with the remaining funds available, great, but we shouldn't spend just to spend. All that does is create a high priced bench warmer. If there is a rotation piece out there for roughly $4 million, great, lets get them but we've already got a solid 9 man rotation right now.

Ayton - McGee
Crowder - Cam J
Mikal - Cam J
Booker - Shamet
Paul - Payne

I do think the Knicks got a lot better with the added shooting of Evan Fournier and they keep Derrick Rose.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ayton - McGee
Crowder - Cam J
Mikal - Cam J
Booker - Shamet
Paul - Payne

Cam J proved last season he no longer has the strength or rebounding ability to play out of position at the 4. And Crowder was getting manhandled by larger 4s.

And Jalen Smith shouldn't see a single minute of action other than in a G League game until he can show he can at least hold his own in the G League.

In addition to a 4, we could still use another 2/3 that can create shots for himself and others, plus a third string point guard.

Plus signing other quality pieces gives us salaries to match in a trade to put us over the top.

It wouldn't be spending money just to spend money

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam J proved last season he no longer has the strength or rebounding ability to play out of position at the 4. And Crowder was getting manhandled by larger 4s.

And Jalen Smith shouldn't see a single minute of action other than in a G League game until he can show he can at least hold his own in the G League.

In addition to a 4, we could still use another 2/3 that can create shots for himself and others, plus a third string point guard.

Crowder had issues with Giannis and Anthony Davis. He was fine against Aaron Gordon and Marcus Morris. Everyone struggles against AD and Giannis. Jae helped lead us to the 2nd best record in the league.

Cam J will be fine as a backup PF in some situations. The only matchup he'll struggle against are the ones Jae does.

Look at the top rebounders in the league, there aren't many PF's in the bunch because the position has changed, and so has the game. Get with the times.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crowder had issues with Giannis and Anthony Davis. He was fine against Aaron Gordon and Marcus Morris. Everyone struggles against AD and Giannis. Jae helped lead us to the 2nd best record in the league.

Cam J will be fine as a backup PF in some situations. The only matchup he'll struggle against are the ones Jae does.

Look at the top rebounders in the league, there aren't many PF's in the bunch because the position has changed, and so has the game. Get with the times.

The game has changed some, but as the Bucks and Lakers proved in the last two NBA Finals, it hasn't changed that much. We need guys who can at least contain AD and Giannis better, and who can match up better against the likes of Portis, Lopez, Harrell and the Morii.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea… cuz no other pro sports team has “holes.”
2 wins away from a NBA Championship and the team has only improved.
Your incessant screams that the theatre is “on fire” are tiresome and annoying.

Other teams have improved more. Right now, if Murray returns to health, the Nuggets are probably the favorites in the West. And the Lakers are already the favorites to win the division.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plus signing other quality pieces gives us salaries to match in a trade to put us over the top.

Only you can make an absolute out of things such as this. Yes, they were both undersized and taken advantage of on occasion. It's called match-ups. There were plenty of nights when each of them dominated the guy in the other uniform. And, I'll point out once again, despite all these "failures" in your mind we still made it to the finals and had the 2nd best record in the league.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only you can make an absolute out of things such as this. Yes, they were both undersized and taken advantage of on occasion. It's called match-ups. There were plenty of nights when each of them dominated the guy in the other uniform. And, I'll point out once again, despite all these "failures" in your mind we still made it to the finals and had the 2nd best record in the league.

And my precise point is that the Suns need a 4 for those nights where Cam J and Crowder can't match up, so that the Suns front court can't be "taken advantage of".

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other teams have improved more. Right now, if Murray returns to health, the Nuggets are probably the favorites in the West. And the Lakers are already the favorites to win the division.

Jamal Murray tore his ACL in mid April this year. He'll be lucky to be healthy by the playoffs next year. There wont be any time to acclimate him back into the lineup. The Nuggets won't be the favorites for anything.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’ve spent the last three days in 2000 posts screaming about the sounds holes but our biggest competition you’re willing to give a pass and say if Murray is healthy if Anthony Davis is healthy

Murray will not be ready to start the season. Anthony Davis has shown he’s going to miss at minimum 25 games due to injury

you’ve presented the worst case scenario for the sons but the best case scenario for the opponents.

can you analyze Jamal Murray‘s back up?

what about Anthony Davis is back up when he inevitably gets hurt?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my precise point is that the Suns need a 4 for those nights where Cam J and Crowder can't match up.
Coaching solves a lot of those issues but do you really think there is a team that has a magical nightly fix for every match-up disadvantage? It doesn't work that way, it's NEVER worked that way. It would be nice to add another rotation player, maybe even two, it's not a horrible failure if that doesn't happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA