Suns sign Javale McGee

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I've only seen McGee on Shaqtin a fool. Are you all serious, is he good enough to get minutes in the playoffs?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ha, he's grown up a lot lately...considering he's our only backup big man, he'll be getting minutes whether he's playing well or not! :)

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Need to sign another big PF to take Saric minutes. More of a banger than a finesse player like Frank the Tank. Can we get Juice back?

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ayton probably needs to make the biggest leap and become a focal-point in the offense. He needs to be automatic like Jokic and Giannis respectfully. I saw glimpses of it in the finals and was looking like D-Rob with those post moves but it went away early. We need that in a bad way this year.
I actually don't really agree. If Ayton can be an 18-10 guy who plays really good defense, the Suns can win a lot of ball games. He needs to develop a little more at creating his own shot, but really only on a few possessions a game.

The Suns are going to win ball games with Booker and Paul. I think the biggest leap the Suns can make is from either Bridges or Cam Johnson. If one or both continue to get better off the dribble, the Suns will be a tough match up for most teams.

JCSunsfan

Reaction score
Interesting thing about the McGee signing.

1. He is CP3's guy. JJ and Monty might want him, but Chris had him picked out already.
2. CP3 recruited him for next year while the playoffs were still happening. That guy is always thinking.
3. In a game where most guys would be checked out and enjoying the victory, CP3 was scouting.
4. What CP3 saw in McGee was a guy who was physically talented and working hard even in a game already lost. He saw hustle and character. That is a difference between LeBron and Paul. LeBron likes stars. He wants to play on teams full of stars. Paul understands what a team is.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't really agree. If Ayton can be an 18-10 guy who plays really good defense, the Suns can win a lot of ball games. He needs to develop a little more at creating his own shot, but really only on a few possessions a game.

The Suns are going to win ball games with Booker and Paul. I think the biggest leap the Suns can make is from either Bridges or Cam Johnson. If one or both continue to get better off the dribble, the Suns will be a tough match up for most teams.
I think it needs to be more than a "little more". The finals would have turned out different if we had a steady reliable low post scoring presence who could put up high percentage shots when the outside wasn't going. He doesn't need to be the go to guy every game but he definitely needs to be a reliable threat down there as the next evolution of his game to be more than a pick and role guy who needs to be setup.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it needs to be more than a "little more". The finals would have turned out different if we had a steady reliable low post scoring presence who could put up high percentage shots when the outside wasn't going. He doesn't need to be the go to guy every game but he definitely needs to be a reliable threat down there as the next evolution of his game to be more than a pick and role guy who needs to be setup.

the finals would have turned out differently if Paul would have been able to deal with Holiday.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The finals would have turned out differently if Paul hadn't been mugged by Beverley, injuring his hand.

The Finals also would have turned out differently if the Suns had a playable big other than Ayton and Saric.

In terms of that scenario, what happens now if McGee similarly gets injured?

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Finals also would have turned out differently if the Suns had a playable big other than Ayton and Saric.

In terms of that scenario, what happens now if McGee similarly gets injured?

Then we try to fill the hole and are in trouble if we can't. What happened to the Nets when Kyrie went down? What happened to the Hawks when Trey got injured? What happened to the Lakers when AD went down? What happened to the Jazz when Conley got hurt, or even worse, what happened to them when Mitchell was hobbled? And so on.

Yes, we absolutely could use another big man that can legitimately earn minutes, but most of them don't want to be the 11th or 12th man. None of them, despite what you believe, are likely to put Cameron on the bench most nights. We need a late, late, late career Tyson Chandler type. And I'm hoping that we find one 7 or 8 months from now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've only seen McGee on Shaqtin a fool. Are you all serious, is he good enough to get minutes in the playoffs?

Pop chose JaVale McGee for Team USA this year also. He may not be a world beater but he'll be a solid backup for us, which is what we needed. He's a good rim protector and also someone who can grab easy lobs.

I'd compare him to a Tyson Chandler that hustles. Tyson didn't do that here much at all. McGee is all hustle and that's why he makes some stupid mistakes but they aren't that bad.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting thing about the McGee signing.

1. He is CP3's guy. JJ and Monty might want him, but Chris had him picked out already.
2. CP3 recruited him for next year while the playoffs were still happening. That guy is always thinking.
3. In a game where most guys would be checked out and enjoying the victory, CP3 was scouting.
4. What CP3 saw in McGee was a guy who was physically talented and working hard even in a game already lost. He saw hustle and character. That is a difference between LeBron and Paul. LeBron likes stars. He wants to play on teams full of stars. Paul understands what a team is.

Saw someone on Twitter discussing the Suns moves, can't recall who but it was an actual analyst, and they talked about the Suns moves being better than the Lakers so far specifically because each move that's been made will improve this TEAM as a whole while the Lakers are hoping that talent alone will be able to create something special. Every move the Suns have made has made them better than last years iteration, which is what other teams need to catch up to, we were the best road team in the NBA with the 2nd best record and Western Conference Champions. We didn't need huge changes.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Saw someone on Twitter discussing the Suns moves, can't recall who but it was an actual analyst, and they talked about the Suns moves being better than the Lakers so far specifically because each move that's been made will improve this TEAM as a whole while the Lakers are hoping that talent alone will be able to create something special. Every move the Suns have made has made them better than last years iteration, which is what other teams need to catch up to, we were the best road team in the NBA with the 2nd best record and Western Conference Champions. We didn't need huge changes.

I concur that we didn't need huge changes.

At the same time, we had holes to fill:

1. Back-up to Ayton. Check.

2. Back-up combo guard. Check.

3. True power forward. Our biggest need three offseasons running. Still not addressed.

4. Guard/Wing other than Booker and CP3 who can create offense for himself and others. Not filled.

5. Third point guard who can play back-up minutes when we need to load manage CP3. Not filled.

6. Replacement for Torrey Craig. Not filled, and he played a major role for us down the stretch.

7. Third string 4/5. Not filled.

The way I see it, we have two major holes and three minor holes to fill. I could live with the remaining minor holes if there was at least a good attempt to fill the major ones.