Suns sign Barbosa

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The best thing about vet guys like LB and Dudley is they accept their roles and do what they're told. Every team needs guys lile that.

sent from a fone

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not projecting a trade but the Suns do have a lot of guards. If an appealing trade comes along they might want to take advantage. Also we have not seen if Knight will be happy coming off the bench, if the Suns should go that direction. Presently I see Booker coming off the bench at SG or being given an opportunity to start at SF. It may not remain that way as the season progresses.

I would be quite surprised if Booker isn't starting at SG.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont really see the problem.

SF and SG are almost identical roles offensively.

Offensively they are similar but Booker's defense last season was already terrible (by defensive metrics), put him against even bigger players and his defensive impact will get even worse, if that's possible.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was said that Booker has grown to nearly 6'7 1/2 at that size he is taller than some SFs even and he looks much stronger too. Plus not many SFs are actually taking advantage of size matchups.

Someone else asked about this and it was passed over. Where did you hear Booker grew that much? I haven't heard anything like that, it's actually rare that an NBA player reports height increases. Like Durant was 6'9 when he was drafted and still listed as that even though he's about 7' now. You can find photos where he's clearly taller than Ibaka, and also the tallest guy on Team USA. The Wall Street Journal even wrote an article about why NBA player's reported height is often incorrect.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-nba-players-lie-about-their-height-1462316051

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Someone else asked about this and it was passed over. Where did you hear Booker grew that much? I haven't heard anything like that, it's actually rare that an NBA player reports height increases. Like Durant was 6'9 when he was drafted and still listed as that even though he's about 7' now. You can find photos where he's clearly taller than Ibaka, and also the tallest guy on Team USA. The Wall Street Journal even wrote an article about why NBA player's reported height is often incorrect.

So what?

The fact is that Durant grew. The (not confirmed) report by Gambo is that the Suns measured Booker at 6'7 or even 6'7 1/2 recently.

McD last year stated that they believed Booker was still growing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've seen it mentioned several times most recently by Coro in an article about Booker playing summer league and on Team USA. Here's a quote from an Azcentral article by Coro (Suns Devin Booker to lead summer team, learn from Team USA):

Booker has grown to 6 feet 7 but he said “time will tell” if he eventually plays more small forward.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what?

The fact is that Durant grew. The (not confirmed) report by Gambo is that the Suns measured Booker at 6'7 or even 6'7 1/2 recently.

McD last year stated that they believed Booker was still growing.
They also said they believe Marquese Chriss is still growing.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Booker and Chriss were the youngest players in their drafts. I grew 3 inches after I graduated from high school. Its not that uncommon to grow after your 18th birthday. David Robinson grew several inches in college.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be quite surprised if Booker isn't starting at SG.

I have read that Booker would be willing to come off the bench. I have not heard this message from Knight.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tristan-Thompson-5226/

PF, PF, PF.

Off course he is a PF. He is big and strong and does not have ball handling responsibilities. His job is to defend inside and rebound. I mean come on.

That's the definition of a pf from 10 years ago. That is not today's definition. Of course, in your defense, if there is nothing about "power" in the job description for the position, maybe they ought to call it something different.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tristan-Thompson-5226/

PF, PF, PF.

Off course he is a PF. He is big and strong and does not have ball handling responsibilities. His job is to defend inside and rebound. I mean come on.

I've seen the PF designation for him too but it sure looks to me like he's playing the NBA's current version of center. Or at least, he's playing it when the Cavs are at their best. I don't watch them often but when I have watched them it seems clear to me that he's a marginal player when he's lined up next to a true center and an asset when he IS the big man inside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta be kinda awkward for Knight to get a new number from the team, and then a couple weeks later get traded.lol

I think a trade will come later--maybe around the deadline.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
TT plays PF in normal/big lineups and C in small. His natural position is PF.

Do you think Booker can handle LeFlop, Durant, Tucker, World Peace, #2 on the Spurs etc. this year? I should think not. His natural and current position is quite obviously SG. Perhaps if he gains some muscle and gets up to 220 lbs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have read that Booker would be willing to come off the bench. I have not heard this message from Knight.
Watson said in an interview yesterday on 98.7 that he will do what is best for the group when it comes down to who starts. He also pointed to Ginobli and how he has been coming off the bench his whole career. Something tells me that this is somewhat foreshadowing Knight coming off the bench.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watson said in an interview yesterday on 98.7 that he will do what is best for the group when it comes down to who starts. He also pointed to Ginobli and how he has been coming off the bench his whole career. Something tells me that this is somewhat foreshadowing Knight coming off the bench.

I read awhile back that Knight does not see his status changing. He would still remain a starter. How Watson views it may not be the same as how Knight views it. As of now, I see Knight starting for the Suns because that may be what it takes to make him happy unless it comes down to a trade.

Miraculously, Booker is growing into the body of a SF so Watson may solve this problem by starting Booker at this position.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TT is bigger, stronger version of Paul Milsap, without the jumpshot making ability.imo

Well, considering how important Paul's jump shot is to his game, this comparison doesn't really hit the mark.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read awhile back that Knight does not see his status changing. He would still remain a starter. How Watson views it may not be the same as how Knight views it. As of now, I see Knight starting for the Suns because that may be what it takes to make him happy unless it comes down to a trade.

Miraculously, Booker is growing into the body of a SF so Watson may solve this problem by starting Booker at this position.

Yeah he said that near the end of the season. And I think Watson's been pretty clear on this too, he'll start whoever he believes gives the team the best chance.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I truly hope they don't start him just because they want to make him happy. That is just a bad idea IMO. You only start him if you believe it makes sense for basketball reasons. If Knight can't handle being 6th man than you start actively looking for a trade.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson