Suns sign Barbosa

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Price been resigned?

To my knowledge Price has not been re-signed. Barbosa could filll the roles of both Price and Jenkins. IMO, Price should be a third PG at best.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think after the Morri debacle and incendiary comments by Dragic, this team is in need of a character makeover, and adding back two of the classiest, most beloved Suns in the past 10 years will help with public perception.

On the court, PHX will still be dreadful.

No doubt the Suns needed a makeover in regard to character players. Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa should help with this makeover. Also following a potential young star in Booker should help as well.

We agree the Suns will struggle to win but if their young talent is exciting to watch, I will be happy.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Barbosa is a nice pick-up, but if he ends up pushing Booker to spend more time at SF, that's subtraction by addition. The Suns were fortunate enough to find someone with real star potential; we can only hope that they don't screw up his development by playing him out of position in pursuit of some hollow feel-good nostalgic "excitement" narrative.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Guess Jenkins wont return

Chandler/Len/Williams
Dudley/Chriss/Bender
Booker/Warren/Tucker
Knight/Barbosa/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Ulis/Price

Maybe 4 out of those 15 play one position. This roster is very versatile. As long as the key pieces don't go down for extended periods they should be very competitive.

How many (you can't put Bled, Ulis and Price in the same) lineups will Watson put on the floor?

Here's one I want to see. Chriss, Warren, Booker, Barbosa, Bledsoe. Ultimate Chaos Squad.

Footnote: Cotton would have put Bled, Ulis and Price on the floor together.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Usually you go small to put more skill players on the floor at the same time. I don't really see Price as that type.

More like Ulis, Bledsoe, Knight, Booker, Dudley lineup

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I dont really see the problem.

SF and SG are almost identical roles offensively.

But they aren't identical defensively. If you try to have Booker guard a SF with legitimate size, then you're conceding the necessity of a whole bunch of scrambling make-up defense that is exactly what has held this franchise back for as long as any of us can remember. There is a reason that the historically great shooting guards like Jordan, Bryant, Wade, and Miller played alongside real SFs rather than less-able versions of themselves.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It was said that Booker has grown to nearly 6'7 1/2 at that size he is taller than some SFs even and he looks much stronger too. Plus not many SFs are actually taking advantage of size matchups.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I really hope they don't try Booker at SF.

C Len/Chandler/Williams
PF Dudley/Bender/Chriss
SF Warren/Tucker/Goodwin
SG Booker/Knight/Barbosa
PG Bledsoe/Ulis

I just want him on the court to develop, I am ok with him starting at SF, then moving him to SG when Knight or Bledsoe go out.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I like the signing, this team is building and not reaching to make it a playoff team. You may still see a deal for Knight if he doesn't accept the role.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont really see the problem.

SF and SG are almost identical roles offensively.

Yes. The traditional roles are not really in play anymore. NBA teams have basically three positions now--pg, wing, and big. Sometimes that play with three wings and a big and sometimes basically four wings and a pg (Warriors). No one posts up anymore either. Dudley was saying this in his interview. He said he could not play pf several years ago because he would get posted up. But now pfs play on the wing and he can move his feet fast enough to guard them out there.

Btw. If Booker has grown to nearly 6-8 and has added strength, he will be a monster. That's nearly two inches over where he was when he was drafted. That makes him the same size as Dudley who played minutes at center last year.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
But they aren't identical defensively. If you try to have Booker guard a SF with legitimate size, then you're conceding the necessity of a whole bunch of scrambling make-up defense that is exactly what has held this franchise back for as long as any of us can remember. There is a reason that the historically great shooting guards like Jordan, Bryant, Wade, and Miller played alongside real SFs rather than less-able versions of themselves.

Exactly my sentiment. He'll match up too often with bigger and stronger forwards. Can't see why we would put out an undersized starting five each night. Let Knight be hero balling sixth man and not mess up the ball movement from the toss up.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
GS is going to miss him if one of the guards goes down. On the other hand, I hope he is just a locker room player for the suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I really like bringing Barbosa back. Should be a stabilizing force in the backcourt. Now no need to rush Booker along.
That seems to say that Barbosa is going to get some of Booker's playing time at SG.

-- Booker has proven to be a legitimately talented Shooting Guard. They gave him the opportunity due to injuries and he far exceeded expectations throughout the season. I wouldn't call that rushing him along. He earned it and fulfilled it. Even at his young age, he is now the face of the Suns.

-- Barbosa is another undersized Shooting Guard with limited Point Guard skills. The Suns have set the record for having three players like that in the rotation year after year. This is just the 2017 version. I hope Leandro was brought back for his cheerleading skills.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When did Booker grow to 6'7? I haven't seen or read anything about this.

And even if he is 6'7, he'd have more of an advantage playing against SGs and shooting over them than he would at SF. That's the reason why Klay Thompson is the starting SG, not SF despite being much better than Barnes. And Joe Johnson in his actual prime played SG as well.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Exactly my sentiment. He'll match up too often with bigger and stronger forwards. Can't see why we would put out an undersized starting five each night. Let Knight be hero balling sixth man and not mess up the ball movement from the toss up.

What PF plays inside anymore? Most have moved to center or play outside to spread the floor. Davis is about the only one I know that still has the ball play through him, but he even is getting the ball more on the wing, than in the box.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GS is going to miss him if one of the guards goes down. On the other hand, I hope he is just a locker room player for the suns.

Barbosa can still play and he proved it during his time with the Warriors. If he hadn't fractured his right hand during the 2013-14 season he might still be with the Suns. I'm not saying he is more than a bench player, however, he is a very serviceable off the bench.

Also Barbosa might be needed if the Suns trade a guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What PF plays inside anymore? Most have moved to center or play outside to spread the floor. Davis is about the only one I know that still has the ball play through him, but he even is getting the ball more on the wing, than in the box.

Tristan Thompson came in handy for the Cavaliers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Also Barbosa might be needed if the Suns trade a guard.

Who would be traded at this point? Knight isn't without his warts, but considering the deals given up this offseason, it would have to be a pretty appealing trade to move him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would be traded at this point? Knight isn't without his warts, but considering the deals given up this offseason, it would have to be a pretty appealing trade to move him.

I'm not projecting a trade but the Suns do have a lot of guards. If an appealing trade comes along they might want to take advantage. Also we have not seen if Knight will be happy coming off the bench, if the Suns should go that direction. Presently I see Booker coming off the bench at SG or being given an opportunity to start at SF. It may not remain that way as the season progresses.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker will be in the Suns small lineup. Knight,Bled,Booker, Warner and a center. Maybe the center will be Bender. Run Suns Run

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave