Suns should snag Montrezl Harrell and Dennis Schroder as the new starting PF and Paul's backup PG.

Reaction score
It would be a good move i think both players are fairly young plus the suns being contenders. Imagine them with Dario Saric coming back like man the competition would be crazy though.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Welcome. I think Schroeder would be a really good snag, but I don’t think Harrel can play PF in our current offensive/defensive sets.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
No concern for Book's animosity toward him?
Given his stature I think you run it by him, but Book had beef with Crowder and Daniels before they got here and he was fine with it. I’m guessing that that Schroeder wouldn’t want to come here though since there will be no crunch time minutes available for him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would sign schroeder, but not Harrell.

No roster spot for him at the moment anyway.

Reaction score
With what money? The Suns have two very large contracts, and committed to a third.

Signing players like Damion Lee suggests that their free agency plans are pretty conservative.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With what money? The Suns have two very large contracts, and committed to a third.

Signing players like Damion Lee suggests that their free agency plans are pretty conservative.
We still have our exception which is I think 6.2 million or something like that.

Reaction score
We still have our exception which is I think 6.2 million or something like that.
In that case, bring on Harrell, if he would take that much money. He would add depth at forward. Seems to be a good scorer.

But I looked up his salary last season. He was making a good three-and-a-half million more than this exception. https://hoopshype.com/player/montrezl-harrell/salary/ Would you expect him to take a pay cut unless nobody else makes him a better offer? And if they haven't, it should set off flags--why haven't they? I'll bet the Suns have already inquired about him and found out that he wanted more than they would offer.

I'll bet the Suns weren't willing to attract any free agents who wanted big money, not because Robert Sarver was being "cheap" (we've said he has quit being cheap) but because they probably never planned to let DeAndre Ayton walk, and wanted to save money to commit to him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In that case, bring on Harrell, if he would take that much money. He would add depth at forward. Seems to be a good scorer.

But I looked up his salary last season. He was making a good three-and-a-half million more than this exception. https://hoopshype.com/player/montrezl-harrell/salary/ Would you expect him to take a pay cut unless nobody else makes him a better offer? And if they haven't, it should set off flags--why haven't they? I'll bet the Suns have already inquired about him and found out that he wanted more than they would offer.
I don't know if you are reading the rest of the thread, but he's fighting felony drug charges. That alone makes him doubtful for the Suns to sign him. And he for sure will take less, if he was in demand (which he isn't), he'd have signed a month ago with somebody (which he didn't).

Methinks you don't quite understand how the NBA offseason works.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Schroder would def be a valuable shooter off bench

Was a bit streaky shooter for la but he still potential to develop better shot

Prob won't occur though

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After having Durant dangled in our faces for 3 months anything else just seems meh.
Shrooder is better than Payne, but how much really? Both have folded in the playoffs but so has everyone on our team tbh.
Montrez is Crowder 2.0 again not really worth getting another one.
Tho at this point I'd be happy to see anything get done.

Yeah Montrez is in a bit of trouble and if the past is any indication Phoenix wouldn't be interested. I mean for gods sake they got rid of Jason Kidd because he stole a French fry from his GIANT headed kid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After having Durant dangled in our faces for 3 months anything else just seems meh.
Shrooder is better than Payne, but how much really? Both have folded in the playoffs but so has everyone on our team tbh.
Montrez is Crowder 2.0 again not really worth getting another one.
Tho at this point I'd be happy to see anything get done.

Yeah Montrez is in a bit of trouble and if the past is any indication Phoenix wouldn't be interested. I mean for gods sake they got rid of Jason Kidd because he stole a French fry from his GIANT headed kid.
Schroder is decidedly not better than Payne. Payne is a better shooter, passer and far better on D.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Payne averaged 10.8 points, 3 boards, 4.9 assists. He averaged more assists and less turnovers in less minutes. Their shooting percentages last year were basically the same but Payne has shot far better before. Payne's numbers as a starter also blow Schroder's out of the water. Payne is also the better defender.

And he isn't toxic.

Schroder is sitting there unemployed for a reason. He is rapidly bouncing around the league and teams that have had him don't want him back. Even ignoring his reputation, he is a volume shooter who shoots poorly, doesn't defend and is a lousy passer.

He will likely show up in China in the very near future.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroder is decidedly not better than Payne. Payne is a better shooter, passer and far better on D.
That is not a definative statement at all. Payne probably is a better defender, and maybe a better passer, but Shroder is a better scorer.

Payne was terrible most of last season, and in the past Shroeder has been a better player than Payne's one good year.

The way I look at it is the team needs a 3rd PG because lately neither CP3 or Payne's performance has been reliable and we need another option.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is not a definative statement at all. Payne probably is a better defender, and maybe a better passer, but Shroder is a better scorer.

Payne was terrible most of last season, and in the past Shroeder has been a better player than Payne's one good year.

The way I look at it is the team needs a 3rd PG because lately neither CP3 or Payne's performance has been reliable and we need another option.

If Payne was as frivolous with his shooting as Schroder is he could score just as well. I give little benefit to guys who score 10 points on 9 shots, there is little to no value in that. And Payne's "terrible" year last year was a better year than what Schroder had... last year.

Schroder always been a poor passer, he's never been a good defender and his scoring has been inconsistent and inefficient. He would not play ahead of Payne and you don't want to bring in questionable character guys who desperately want shots and playing time when you know they're going to be buried on the end of your bench.

Reaction score
I went to a Timberwolves fan site and asked the locals for insight on why Josh Okogie can't shoot. The only thing of interest I picked up is that his defense and professionalism are so good that hoping he will learn to shoot is probably worth the gamble. WHich was a $1.9 million one-year contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose