Reaction score
From Duane Rankin:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hope it's not to save a dollar.

It absolutely is to save a dollar. What else could it be?

I'm not that upset. None of the G-Leaguers that stayed with us or became NBA-caliber came from our own affiliate. If that means he can pour more money into the big team, then fine.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a G-League team is not important?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It absolutely is to save a dollar. What else could it be?

I'm not that upset. None of the G-Leaguers that stayed with us or became NBA-caliber came from our own affiliate. If that means he can pour more money into the big team, then fine.

It's more of an indicator for me.

I hope the Suns days of selling first round draft picks are gone.

Also I'm concerned how the Suns use the $20 million dollars or so they have available for free agency. Are they going to use it to improve the team or pinch pennies there?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure I get this. Why wouldn't Detroit just start their own? Do they have to buy a franchise like the big leagues?

Honestly. Why do I even care? I barely care about the Suns anymore.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So a G-League team is not important?

He didn't say the G-League is "not important" -- what a gross over-generalization of what James Jones said.

He said: On Wednesday, general manager James Jones said in a statement that the NBA team’s “ownership and management of the Northern Arizona Suns does not align with the Phoenix Suns’ strategic plan for player development over the next three-to-five years.”

Think about it -- has NAZ aligned with anything the Suns have done in the past 20 years? Anything at all? We are developing players on the main roster already. And we've seen how it's worked out with G-Leaguers who have inflated stats and STILL do nothing at the NBA level.

We've actually talked about it on here. It's the classic, "...but it's the G-League." That is correct. It is the G-League and while I like the idea of a minor league system, it hasn't really worked at all for the Suns.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not sure I get this. Why wouldn't Detroit just start their own? Do they have to buy a franchise like the big leagues?

Honestly. Why do I even care? I barely care about the Suns anymore.
Detroit has an affiliate already, but that team refused to move closer to Detroit, so they are severing their relationship with them. Grand Rapids will run independently whenever the League starts up again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what happens to Leque?

He is on the Suns 15 man roster. If they don't play him they may re-assign him. It's not inconceivable NBA teams may choose to keep less players this coming season.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that the Suns were selling their G-League team and I was worried it was the Suns themselves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that the Suns were selling their G-League team and I was worried it was the Suns themselves.

If the Suns didn't move the franchise I would be thrilled if Sarver sold the team. He may have missed his opportunity to sell high although I'm sure there are buyers willing and able.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what Jones is literally saying. The bottom of our roster is the equivalent of a g league team. That isn't changing anytime soon so why pay for it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This seems like a really bad move. Looks like a cash grab for sure.

The whole idea the suns don't need young players for the next 5 years is idiotic. We have no bench.

I know we have gotten nothing out of our g-league team, but that just speaks to our talent evaluation, not it's usefulness.

If they weren't considered useful, 90% of the league wouldn't have a team.

This is a really bad look not just on Sarver, but on James Jones too.

Now if the choice was sell picks or sell the g-league team, I guess this is the lesser of to evils, but I'm still not happy about it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The whole idea the suns don't need young players for the next 5 years is idiotic. We have no bench.

Did any of our bench ever come from there? Closest is Leque

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did any of our bench ever come from there? Closest is Leque

No, but other teams do produce bench players from their g-league team.

The fact we won't even fill out our whole roster for Orlando though tells you the team is either too cheap or too incompetent to get potential players. I know 9 times out of 10 they will not work out, but the 1 time they do can be very valuable.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The fact we won't even fill out our whole roster for Orlando though tells you the team is either too cheap or too incompetent to get potential players. I know 9 times out of 10 they will not work out, but the 1 time they do can be very valuable.

Suns might be do a reorganization from top to bottom? Idk if they ever replaced the scouts they let go a while back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know we have gotten nothing out of our g-league team, but that just speaks to our talent evaluation, not it's usefulness.

If they weren't considered useful, 90% of the league wouldn't have a team.

This is a really bad look not just on Sarver, but on James Jones too.

Now if the choice was sell picks or sell the g-league team, I guess this is the lesser of to evils, but I'm still not happy about it.

For me it's the Suns lack of commitment to developing and scouting players plus of course the focus on saving money that was prevalent years earlier after Sarver bought the team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

We can put them on other teams. That's what a few other teams that don't have affiliates do (like the Blazers). It's not like we don't have access to the G League anymore. Leque is the only player that we've invested in from our own affiliate. Everyone else, namely Danuel House and DJJ, all came from other affiliates.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For me it's the Suns lack of commitment to developing and scouting players plus of course the focus on saving money that was prevalent years earlier after Sarver bought the team.
99% of the G-League players stink. If you want to get upset at scouting, get upset about college scouting, that's the real failure, not the G-League.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns will still be running the G-League team this year...

The 2 other teams without G-League teams of their own are Denver and Portland. Denver in particular has done a really good job of developing young players over the last few years and proves that a G-League team isn't a necessity.

Like has been stated, trying to find a legit NBA player who came from the NAZ Suns is hard to do. The only person I can think of is Danuel House. Other than him I don't believe there is a player in the league who came from the Suns G-League affiliate.

I don't think most people here could name anyone on the Suns G-League team this last season that wasn't a Suns assignment or Two-Way player, myself included. I know I couldn't name a coach of the G-League team in the last 5 years, can anyone? I think that points towards how little the G-League matters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Suns will still be running the G-League team this year...

The 2 other teams without G-League teams of their own are Denver and Portland. Denver in particular has done a really good job of developing young players over the last few years and proves that a G-League team isn't a necessity.

Like has been stated, trying to find a legit NBA player who came from the NAZ Suns is hard to do. The only person I can think of is Danuel House. Other than him I don't believe there is a player in the league who came from the Suns G-League affiliate.

I don't think most people here could name anyone on the Suns G-League team this last season that wasn't a Suns assignment or Two-Way player, myself included. I know I couldn't name a coach of the G-League team in the last 5 years, can anyone? I think that points towards how little the G-League matters.
House was on NAZ for only 20 games in 2017-2018. Beyond that, he played in 42 games before that on 2 other G-league teams and another 33 games after that for Rio Grande Valley.

The question is, when he played for us, did we pull him from our Affiliate, or actually send him there during the 2017-18 season? Basically signing him based on his G-League performance before the 2017 season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99% of the G-League players stink. If you want to get upset at scouting, get upset about college scouting, that's the real failure, not the G-League.

The focus of most NBA teams is having G-League teams.

With young players choosing to forgo college it becomes even more important. I simply think the Suns are ignoring a tremendous opportunity to develop players in a minor league system especially with the influx of players that will choose the G-League over college.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Kevin Zimmerman of Arizona Sports:

Meanwhile, Detroit owner Tom Gores said the purchase by the Pistons should improve their organization.

“This is another important investment in our franchise and in the city of Detroit,” he said in a statement. “Having an NBA G League team near our new performance center will be an advantage for our front office, our coaching staff and our young players. It will also generate more economic activity in the area and serve as a catalyst for additional development.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/2334225/phoenix-suns-sell-g-league-team-detroit-pistons/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson