Suns Salary Situation 2023 offseason

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then I'm not sure why writers are limiting the Suns to the trade exception in many articles, which is more limiting than the MLE.

I think there is some confusion about the new CBA.

The cap came in higher than expected and that also made the apron higher than anticipated. So a lot of stuff is running on out of date info. Had the projections been correct, we likely would have exceeded the apron where we wouldn't have the MLE.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The cap came in higher than expected and that also made the apron higher than anticipated. So a lot of stuff is running on out of date info. Had the projections been correct, we likely would have exceeded the apron where we wouldn't have the MLE.
I’m positive the decision makers knew we would come in just under thr 2nd apron allowing them to fill out the roster with some experienced players. This is really good for creating a powerhouse without trading our starting center.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Now if the Suns can only find a way to use the $5 million trade exception.

They would have to have a draft pick or cash to use as I understand it to trade for a player.

They have $1.5 million left but I'm not sure how much that helps them.
From what I saw, technically they don't need a draft pick, it's just become custom to sweeten the deal to get another team to trade a guy. I think TJ Warren was technically a cash considerations part of the trade. Someone on our squad last year was literally acquired for cash considerations. we didn't even use the trade exception, I believe. Someone has to maybe want to free a roster spot to bring someone else in, or change their two way into a permanent player, etc. Pretty rare, but I believe it can technically be used without a draft pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I saw, technically they don't need a draft pick, it's just become custom to sweeten the deal to get another team to trade a guy. I think TJ Warren was technically a cash considerations part of the trade. Someone on our squad last year was literally acquired for cash considerations. we didn't even use the trade exception, I believe. Someone has to maybe want to free a roster spot to bring someone else in, or change their two way into a permanent player, etc. Pretty rare, but I believe it can technically be used without a draft pick.

This is true. I've seen trades with cash considerations.

I'm officially at the point where I don't think I should watch any more podcasts.

Media people covering the NBA should be required to take classes to be CBA certified.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is true. I've seen trades with cash considerations.

I'm officially at the point where I don't think I should watch any more podcasts.

Media people covering the NBA should be required to take classes to be CBA certified.

I don't think podcasts are bad if you stick to 1, maybe 2, where the hosts are semi-educated. I used to really enjoy The Timeline but it's been a while since I've listened to that. It's when you follow multiple podcasts when things get all jumbled.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think podcasts are bad if you stick to 1, maybe 2, where the hosts are semi-educated. I used to really enjoy The Timeline but it's been a while since I've listened to that. It's when you follow multiple podcasts when things get all jumbled.

I probably trust Gerald Bourguet as much as anyone because he does his research.

However, I think the new CBA has confused a lot of good minds.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The key question is when do they calculate you are over the 2nd Apron. If we have 5 guys under contract - but if you add 10 at the minimum - which is required it puts you over the 2nd apron - that might mean you are over the 2nd apron even if you haven't signed those guys yet. Would be a dumb loophole if it didn't calculate like that if you ask me, because there would be no way to avoid the 2nd apron even if technically you aren't over it yet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The key question is when do they calculate you are over the 2nd Apron. If we have 5 guys under contract - but if you add 10 at the minimum - which is required it puts you over the 2nd apron - that might mean you are over the 2nd apron even if you haven't signed those guys yet. Would be a dumb loophole if it didn't calculate like that if you ask me, because there would be no way to avoid the 2nd apron even if technically you aren't over it yet.
Not that I have any clue as to how that works, but I just can't imagine they would do that. It has pretty much always been a thing that you can wait to sign guys to work around the cap. Of course this is the first time they have done this with the cap so who knows.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I probably trust Gerald Bourguet as much as anyone because he does his research.

However, I think the new CBA has confused a lot of good minds.
I wonder which side is most responsible for today's crazy complexity - the players or the owners? Maybe both. Super confusing, for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder which side is most responsible for today's crazy complexity - the players or the owners? Maybe both. Super confusing, for sure.

It's a good question. It's hard for me to see the players and owners agreeing on the new CBA which is far too complicated and resembles a hard cap, yet here we are.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not that I have any clue as to how that works, but I just can't imagine they would do that. It has pretty much always been a thing that you can wait to sign guys to work around the cap.

I don't know how this apron business works, but minimum cap holds are a thing in general. From Larry Coon's cbafaq.com, #41:

"There are lots of things that are included in team salary besides active contracts.... Note especially that there is a roster charge when a team has fewer than 12 players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks -- so even if a team has no contracts and renounces all its free agents, exceptions and draft picks, it still will have a non-zero team salary."

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What confuses me on that, too, is the guys we are going to try and resign because we have their Bird rights, only part of their contracts count, but they don't say how much. If I sign Landale for $10 mil a year because we have his bird rights, does only $5 mil count? $2 Mil? Just gotta be a Buddha and be patient, the number will come to you!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep that odometer running. Don't let it stop no matter what happens.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Ishbia trying to blow the through to the second apron to get around the penalty? Does it matter which order we sign players? I’m confused lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Ishbia trying to blow the through to the second apron to get around the penalty? Does it matter which order we sign players? I’m confused lol

Yeah, I think Mat Ishbia is blowing right through the 2nd apron.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It almost seems like their strategy for sure. One writer said they plan on going way over! LOL!

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42
Here’s what Phoenix now owes in the first round:

2024: Least favorable of own, Washington (if 13-30) or Memphis
2025: To Brooklyn
2026: Least favorable of own, Washington (if not conveyed to New York) or Orlando
2027: To Brooklyn
2028: Least favorable of own, Washington, Philadelphia (if 9-30) or Brooklyn
2029: To Brooklyn
2030: Least favorable of own, Washington or Memphis

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave