Suns @ Rockets

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If it makes everyone feel better I played my PS2 Game Live 2k3 and Amare won the rookie of the year awared. :thumbup: But Yao was on the all Def. 1st Team. Anyone else play PS2 Basketball games???

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
So you're saying it doesn't matter?

Right! You got it, well done! I've been saying it doesn't matter all day long. I said it at least five times in this thread, and several other people mentioned it as well. ROY award goes to the best player regardless of their age, experience or potential.

P.S. I apologize for accidentaly switching Amare's and Yao's rebounding numbers. I edited my post immediately, and now the numbers are correct.

Stefan

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? Yao Ming was supposed to be somewhat productive this year, Amare Stoudemire was not. Now, they are both producing similar statistics. Based on those two simple things, why is Yao the favorite over Amare?

Again, it does not matter who was supposed to do what. What they are doing is the only thing that actually matters. Their numbers are pretty similar. Yao Ming is shooting a better percentage from the field and blocks one more shot per game. Amare Stoudemire gets one more rebound per game. Otherwise their numbers are very close.

I just feel like Yao Ming has the favor of the media as indicated by those polls posted about the other day. Actually I figure whichever one makes the playoffs will have been shot, and I wouldn't be surprised by co-rookie of the year awards.

Joe Mama

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with that. It does matter.

So according to your logic a highly touted rookie is at a disadvantage as far as the ROY is concerned because he is expected to do well?

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
So according to your logic a highly touted rookie is at a disadvantage as far as the ROY is concerned because he is expected to do well?

Joe Mama
Geezus, we'll just forget it ok? Again, and I say it AGAIN and again and again, in respect to Yao and Amare, you know my opinion. Is it the same for every player? NO!!!!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geezus, we'll just forget it ok? Again, and I say it AGAIN and again and again, in respect to Yao and Amare, you know my opinion. Is it the same for every player? NO!!!!

Take it easy. I do know your opinion. It just doesn't make much sense. :)

I guess I'm a little confused. Why would the criteria for evaluating an award like ROY change depending on the players are?

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pau Gasol won the award last year. He had professional experience behind him. BUT, he was also hands down the best rookie last year--the high school kids weren't even close.

This year, Yao Ming is playing pretty well, and he also had professional experience behind him. His team has improved.

This year, Amare Stoudemire is playing pretty well, and he had no professional experience, heck, he had no experience period. His team has also improved.

Should the voters give the award to Amare because of his non-experience? No. But they should give it to him because of his play this year while not having any previous experience. He had the tools, they just weren't realized. But, wait, they actually were realized when he had to be thrown into the starting lineup.

Yao Ming, when he came in, was already an extremely skilled big man. He's also a 7'6" giant, there isn't a lot of real skilled competition, whereas at the power forward position there is a ton of competition.

In my opinion, Yao Ming is a great player and a good rookie, but Amare Stoudemire simply is deserving of the award because he has earned it. This is a high school kid who is thrust into the starting lineup and even scores 38 on Kevin Garnett. To me, Amare is ROY. And that's all this is. My opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson