Suns reportedly to sign forward Quincy Acy to ten day contract

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Michael Carter-Williams is going to be waived. Not sure if he's on anyones radar but I want the Suns to give him a look. I don't expect much from him but if he could provide 15 minutes a game of decent PG play that would be a big improvement. At this point I'm tired of seeing Melton on the floor. I know he tries hard on defense but if he attempts another 3 in the 4th quarter I might throw my remote through my TV.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252156/Rockets-Trade-Michael-Carter-Williams-To-Bulls

I couldn't stand his game in college and I despise the way he plays in the pros so the stubborn side of me wants nothing to do with him. But is he better right now than Okobo or Melton? Yeah, he is. Still, Okobo and Melton need playing time so it's a tough call for me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can sign MCW to a ten day contract there is not much downside.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some may think Igor is too laid back but he gets it:

Acy has established himself as a reliable 3-point shooter, making 102 threes last season in shooting 34.9 percent from distance. He missed his only 3-ball attempt, but gave Phoenix what it needed to win.

“Come here, give us some nastiness,” Kokoskov said. “Give us some presence. A little confrontation. Basketball confrontation. Good effort. Give us some defensive stops. That’s what he does. That’s what he’s going to do for us.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ngs-helps-suns-snap-six-game-skid/2521976002/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Acy has established himself as a reliable 3-point shooter, making 102 threes last season in shooting 34.9 percent from distance. He missed his only 3-ball attempt, but gave Phoenix what it needed to win.

“Come here, give us some nastiness,” Kokoskov said. “Give us some presence. A little confrontation. Basketball confrontation. Good effort. Give us some defensive stops. That’s what he does. That’s what he’s going to do for us.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ngs-helps-suns-snap-six-game-skid/2521976002/

Ariza was a flop because of Ariza. I'm still not willing to blame the our losing this season on Koko.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though I only caught the final 30 seconds of the game last night I did watch the postgame and saw a bunch of highlights and recaps. I like what Acy brings to the table because he allows Oubre to slide over and be the SF when they're on the court together. I'm glad that Igor seems to be familiar with his game also so hopefully he gets a fair shot to make the roster because he could make up a good defensive and physical frontcourt off the bench with Oubre and Holmes. I know he didn't do anything but foul last night but that is bringing some physicality off the bench. His plus/minus was only a -3 and considering we were down by over 20 at one point and fought back to win it, I imagine he was playing some physical defense while on the floor. He's already received more of a shot to make the team than Moreland.

This is Acy's 7th season and he's 28 years old, having turned 28 in November. That is about the right age and experience level that we should be looking at. Daniels falls in that range also, which is part of why I'd like to see him used more also, plus he's been productive when given a chance. That's too young to be over the hell and have his better years behind him but also too old to make "rookie" mistakes and be confused in where he's supposed to be on either side of the ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ariza was a flop because of Ariza. I'm still not willing to blame the our losing this season on Koko.

I thought the quote was about what Acy brings to the table.

For me it shows Igor realizes the Suns need more toughness inside.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the quote was about what Acy brings to the table.

For me it shows Igor realizes the Suns need more toughness inside.

My response was to your comment

I'm agreeing with you in that Igor gets it and is not as laid back (passive) as some think he is. Which is why I said I'm not ready to blame him just yet.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have preferred Alan Williams to Acy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have preferred Alan Williams to Acy.

Of course Williams is on a two-way contract with the Nets and the Suns have filled their two-way contract slots.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm mildly surprised the Suns are bringing Acy back for a second ten day contract.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6576

Really? I thought it was almost a certainty when he was played in the first game possible after signing the 10 day deal. The Suns need to keep 14 players on their roster and Acy helps them meet that requirement. He's basically getting a tryout before we decide to keep him through the remainder of the season and if he continues playing as he has then I think he'll get a deal for the rest of the year at the end of the next 10 day deal. We're getting close to the trade deadline but even with Acy we still have 1 open roster spot so I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon. We do have some flexibility if a trade comes about or someone is waived that we want to take a look at.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His stats warrant that thought. But his +/- in the short time he has been here sets a proper example for the rest of the team.

Really? I thought it was almost a certainty when he was played in the first game possible after signing the 10 day deal. The Suns need to keep 14 players on their roster and Acy helps them meet that requirement. He's basically getting a tryout before we decide to keep him through the remainder of the season and if he continues playing as he has then I think he'll get a deal for the rest of the year at the end of the next 10 day deal. We're getting close to the trade deadline but even with Acy we still have 1 open roster spot so I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon. We do have some flexibility if a trade comes about or someone is waived that we want to take a look at.

I'm saying Acy hasn't impressed me thus far. Maybe he will improve with more playing time.

I thought the Suns might want to keep kicking the tires on different players. There are other players that can be signed to maintain a 14 man roster.

However, there is also the human factor to consider.

Here are the stats on Acy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm saying Acy hasn't impressed me thus far. Maybe he will improve with more playing time.

I thought the Suns might want to keep kicking the tires on different players. There are other players that can be signed to maintain a 14 man roster.

However, there is also the human factor to consider.

Here are the stats on Acy.

One, it's a 10-day contract. And not worth much argument.

And two, you seem to want to bring in everyone and anyone with a pulse. At some point, you just have to go with what we have because NONE of those other players are going to move the needle whatsoever. Acy isn't going to be any worse than any of those other guys sitting at home waiting for a phone call.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson