Suns Press conference today. 07/16/19

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I also think that I have a higher appreciation of coaching than you do. I'm cautiously optimistic that having Monty will pay dividends on both sides of the floor. I don't think we'll be a defensive juggernaut, but I'd like to see us at least become competent. Great teams have survived on simple competent defense in the past. SEE: Houston Rockets.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Appreciate it. I'm not sure how 2 sites can be so different. I can see some discrepancy with how players qualify, like one site might set that at 50 games while another sets it at 1000 minutes but that's a big discrepancy with Tyler Johnson specifically and I'm not sure how that's justified. Advanced stats don't tell the whole story, IMO.

We'll see what happens next year but I don't see anyone thinking the Suns will be a top 10 defensive team, or even top 15 based on their personnel. I think #15 is probably their ceiling as a team but they should have enough offensive firepower to rack up some wins.

3. 95pro

95pro Registered

Regarding last year...new front office this year and same owner...last year's "talent" is gone and legit nba talent is on our roster.

Coaching does make a difference, look at teams like Dallas and San Antonio. Better coaching and better players doesn't sound like doom and gloom to me, sounds like an improvement, not an astronomical one but we'll be better.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  4. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

my biggest reason for worry about Ayton being a low-post defender or shot-blocker is he just doesn't seem to have natural instincts for that kind of play. coaching can definitely help, but there's an apparent lack of those instincts you either have or don't that I fear will limit him.

on the perimeter, he's got GREAT potential though. We saw that in pretty big one game spurts against LeBron and Giannis and I think he WILL even get better there. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone we can put next to him to cover for the other deficiencies.

5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I also find it curious that so many people are now saying "coaching is going to make a huge difference" considering before Igor got the axe, the overwhelming majority of the board said coaching wasn't the issue, but talent was. Lot of people have done a big 180 on that without even knowing it making the argument now that talent doesn't matter as much because they know we'll have better coaching.

That said, I DO think Monty can make a solid difference because I jumped ship on Igor pretty early. That team, as young as it was, was too talented to be worse than the previous year and not only worse, but get blown the hell out in a bunch of games.

Chaplin likes this.
  6. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I am going to state the obvious here - but I guess you are not realizing it. When you are down 20 points and you have lost 5 times more than you have won, you are not going to be playing up to your potential defensively. Just being on a bad team makes players defensive effort worse.

Human nature does realistically play a huge role in self motivating yourself. Also from what I could see, Igor was not exactly getting on them about their defense.

It is not a coincidence that during the stretch we were playing .500 ball we were an above average defensive team. Which also clearly indicates the team is capable of better defensive performance than they showed for the majority of the year.

To not expect a dramatic improvement if we are more competitive and have a coach emphasizing the importance defense is ridiculous.

Carolinacacti likes this.
  7. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Well I can tell you which ever site lists him as a bad defensive player is just plain wrong. He was very good defensively for us, especially his team defense.

8. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I never said coaching was not an issue. What I said is I did not think making a change 5 years in a row was a good idea regardless of how bad a coach he was.

Also I assumed we would get another subpar coach as his replacement.

But I now think I was wrong about that. Reason being it has since come out players really did have problems communicating with him, and it is now obvious how far superior Monty is in terms of leadership, and the respect the players have shown him since he has arrived.

9. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Blocked shots are not a very meaningful stat to determine defensive ability. Team blocked shots are virtually useless as a defensive measure, the Pacers gave up the fewest points in the league and were in the bottom 3rd in blocks.

Ayton has great lateral movement but has little experience as a post defender. He showed spurts last year of amazing defense, and not just in isolated plays, he took over the Bucks game on the defensive end. I don't know if he will be a great defender but I see no reason that he can't be a solid one.

I don't think we'll be a good defensive team, Booker will probably never be a plus defender, or PF mix are both poor defensively, but I think we will be much improved with Ayton getting more experience and with guys like Rubio, Bridges, Oubre and Baynes getting heavy minutes. Jevon Carter potentially too if his poor offensive play doesn't keep him off the court, but I saw he shot lights out from 3 after the all-star break last year after being putrid before that, so there is some hope.

10. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Also, we're bringing back 5 guys total from last year's team, 2 of those 5 guys were traded for and played in a combined 53 games, another 2 of those 5 were rookies.

The team is going to be radically different. Any team/rotation based stats from last season are rather useless to project onto the coming one.

11. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I think this is the post he was referring to

12. JCSunsfan

Defensive rating is a very flawed stat IMO. We won't get into that here. The rest of your stats are about shot-blocking entirely. Historically shot-blocking is only one defensive stat, and sometimes can be an indicator of a bad defensive player (willing to gamble for blocks rather than play good position defense or rebound) rather than a good one. By the way, rebounding might be one of the most important defensive stat.

13. JCSunsfan

Maybe his most effective future is as a pf. If he can stretch his shooting out to the three point line, everything else is there.

14. JCSunsfan

I am not sure this assessment of the board is correct. It is certainly correct in defining me--I was an Igor defender. But I felt pretty much alone in that role.

15. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

You know what helps defenses? When the other team goes cold from deep. This is a scoring league and you better be able to score

Ronin likes this.