Suns player most likely to win an award...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was something asked on one of the recent episodes of The Timeline podcast and I thought it was an interesting topic. Which Suns player is most likely to win an award this season? It could be Bridges for All-Defensive Team or Oubre for Most Improved. Of course there are your most likely selections like Booker for All-NBA or an All-Star nod but I was curious what others thought. I guess we can include Monty in the running also for Coach of the Year.

This isn't necessarily saying that you believe someone is a favorite to win a certain award or receive recognition, it's that you think they have the best chance of any other Suns player to receive that sort of recognition.

Here is a link to the episode of The Timeline that I referenced, for those interested. It's a good episode where they also discuss the Ayton at PF stuff.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was something asked on one of the recent episodes of The Timeline podcast and I thought it was an interesting topic. Which Suns player is most likely to win an award this season? It could be Bridges for All-Defensive Team or Oubre for Most Improved. Of course there are your most likely selections like Booker for All-NBA or an All-Star nod but I was curious what others thought. I guess we can include Monty in the running also for Coach of the Year.

This isn't necessarily saying that you believe someone is a favorite to win a certain award or receive recognition, it's that you think they have the best chance of any other Suns player to receive that sort of recognition.

Here is a link to the episode of The Timeline that I referenced, for those interested. It's a good episode where they also discuss the Ayton at PF stuff.
I was surprised that nobody on the pod spends much time on the Most Improved award. To me that seems like the most attainable award for most of our players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found it interesting the Suns will have their own training staff after flirting with an outside group providing it.

Also enjoyed the take that Ayton likes to play along with the questioner and the question. When he was asked about playing power forward, he probably played along. Ayton likely does want to shoot some 3s and handle the ball some but I think he knows his success will come at center.

So disagree that Kelly Oubre will disappoint.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say ricky rubio most improved he has some talent on suns ayton obure reddish maybe bridges

Looking forward to season starting! Be a goid break from cards lol

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ayton for an All-NBA team is the most likely. There is a lack of quality big men around the league and if Ayton puts up averages in excess of 20 and 10 he will have better averages than all but a couple of them, even on a losing team he would be hard to keep off the roster.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was surprised that nobody on the pod spends much time on the Most Improved award. To me that seems like the most attainable award for most of our players.

Same here. You would think almost any Sun that isn't Booker will be in the running for that. I believe Rubio will be the top contender from the Suns though. I'd be surprised if he's not top 5 in the league in assists per game, probably top 3.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Same here. You would think almost any Sun that isn't Booker will be in the running for that. I believe Rubio will be the top contender from the Suns though. I'd be surprised if he's not top 5 in the league in assists per game, probably top 3.
I thought that Bridges and Ayton would be the top contenders. Ayton especially. If he distinguishes himself he could win it, even though the reality is that his stats probably wouldn't be that much more improved.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot picture Rubio as a most improved candidate. He has spent several years of his career in the top 5 in assists, I could see Rubio averaging something like 14 and 10, the best year of his career... and I also don't think he would even get a bit of consideration for most improved.

That award usually goes to a younger player who has a breakout season. If Bridges could average an efficient 14 points a game and play elite defense I could see him in the running.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot picture Rubio as a most improved candidate. He has spent several years of his career in the top 5 in assists, I could see Rubio averaging something like 14 and 10, the best year of his career... and I also think he would even get a bit of consideration for most improved.

That award usually goes to a younger player who has a breakout season. If Bridges could average an efficient 14 points a game and play elite defense I could see him in the running.

I could see Oubre winning it along the same reasons. Young still. Finally going to get minutes and has a role that he can build upon from last year. He can feed off of the threats around him in Ayton and Booker while being fed by Rubio.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rubio will get it largely because his stats were down in Utah quite a bit. If the Suns can have some success with him at PG then it's the only award he'll have a chance at for what he's done to help turn things around.

I would say Oubre normally but I think Bridges takes his starting spot before the All-Star break. At that point, he could be in the running for Sixth Man but I guess it depends on when he change would be made.

I just realized Monty would count also, if we can sniff the playoffs or 500 then he'll be in the running for Coach of the Year also. I guess it depends on what sort of turnaround there is. He does have a good shot though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker all-star MVP
There is so much that depends upon. Luck plays more of a role than during
regular season games.

Can his team win? Will the coach have favorites? Will there be a home town
favorite?

The biggest factor in Book's favor is that the NBA All Star game is not known
for its defense. And neither is Booker. :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rubio will get it largely because his stats were down in Utah quite a bit. If the Suns can have some success with him at PG then it's the only award he'll have a chance at for what he's done to help turn things around.

I would say Oubre normally but I think Bridges takes his starting spot before the All-Star break. At that point, he could be in the running for Sixth Man but I guess it depends on when he change would be made.

I just realized Monty would count also, if we can sniff the playoffs or 500 then he'll be in the running for Coach of the Year also. I guess it depends on what sort of turnaround there is. He does have a good shot though.

I think you're really under estimating the stat swing that is typical when a guy wins most improved player. It's usually someone who was a mere rotation guy, or a rookie who struggled, who then leaps to star status. The winners of the award are almost exclusively younger players too.

Monty I agree with. If we somehow make the playoffs he would be a serious contender for coach of the year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're really under estimating the stat swing that is typical when a guy wins most improved player. It's usually someone who was a mere rotation guy, or a rookie who struggled, who then leaps to star status. The winners of the award are almost exclusively younger players too.

Monty I agree with. If we somehow make the playoffs he would be a serious contender for coach of the year.
I really think it’s “out there” to think of any of our players winning any of the awards unless you count Booker making an all-star team or maybe a third team all-nba spot. If the team excels, Monty and Rubio will get the credit.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really think it’s “out there” to think of any of our players winning any of the awards unless you count Booker making an all-star team or maybe a third team all-nba spot. If the team excels, Monty and Rubio will get the credit.

Yeah, I agree, none of our guys are at all likely to win an award, certainly not an individual one.

If Ayton ups his averages to over 20 and 12, he'd have a real chance at a one of the All-NBA spots, or if Booker puts up similar stats to last year, but plays all season and does it more efficiently, he'd also have a good shot at a All-NBA 3rd team. But both of those require the Suns to be a decent team, somewhere north of 35 wins; if we win less than 30 games there won't be any laurels to hand out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course the Suns have to win to make some of these things happen.

I can see Devin Booker making the All-Star team even if it is as a reserve. It's time.

Kelly Oubre is underrated so I see him possibly winning the most improved player.

Bridges has a shot at sixth man or an all defensive team.

Booker and Ayton have a chance at an all NBA team.

If the Suns take off Monty has a shot at coach of the year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Of course the Suns have to win to make some of these things happen.

I can see Devin Booker making the All-Star team even if it is as a reserve. It's time.

Kelly Oubre is underrated so I see him possibly winning the most improved player.

Bridges has a shot at sixth man or an all defensive team.

Booker and Ayton have a chance at an all NBA team.

If the Suns take off Monty has a shot at coach of the year.

Oubre being underrated is an interesting view.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre being underrated is an interesting view.

No team other than the Suns went after Oubre. I believe his 2 year, $30 million contract will prove to be a bargain.

My only concern is I jinx him. :D

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No team other than the Suns went after Oubre. I believe his 2 year, $30 million contract will prove to be a bargain.

My only concern is I jinx him. :D

I loved that deal b/c I think it covers us both ways. If he regresses or remains a role player we’re not tied to him. If he shows significant improvement/promise I don’t think the current contract terms would turn him off of re-signing again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved that deal b/c I think it covers us both ways. If he regresses or remains a role player we’re not tied to him. If he shows significant improvement/promise I don’t think the current contract terms would turn him off of re-signing again.

I would have preferred a 3 year deal with Oubre becoming a RFA in the third year of his contract. Controlling his rights could have been huge but I'm glad the Suns got him signed regardless.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I''ll guess Saric. I think he will be the second leading scorer on the team and will turn NBA heads. Come back player award. If Cam starts because of injuries he could win ROY HA HA

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I''ll guess Saric. I think he will be the second leading scorer on the team and will turn NBA heads. Come back player award. If Cam starts because of injuries he could win ROY HA HA
I doubt he will be the second highest scorer. That will be Ayton. However, Saric getting the comeback award might be the most likely among all the very unlikely scenarios discussed here.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have preferred a 3 year deal with Oubre becoming a RFA in the third year of his contract. Controlling his rights could have been huge but I'm glad the Suns got him signed regardless.

A team can't make a player a RFA after their rookie deal. That's the only time they have the restricted years. The Suns still have Oubre's bird rights and if he likes it here as much as he says then perhaps he'll give the Suns the opportunity to match a deal he gets when he's a free agent in 2 years. We'll see what happens but I would be surprised if he plays his way into a substantial increase. I think splitting time at forward with Bridges will help keep his value about what he's paid currently, like a starter/borderline sixth man.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd be happy if Saric can play well enough that he earns a future here. We'll have his rights next summer, as he'll be a restricted free agent, so we can control his future. I want him to keep Kaminsky on the bench also, which isn't asking that much.

If Cam can play well enough to get an invite to the All-Star weekend rising stars game, I'll be over the moon. I hope he proves to be as NBA ready as James Jones sold him as. If he is, then I won't worry about JJ handling the draft next year. Hopefully our 1st round pick is around where Cam was taken this last year so that might give us a chance to know what Jones will look for in the late lottery/mid 1st round.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson