Suns plan to introduce new head coach Monty Williams Tuesday

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://azdailysun.com/suns-to-be-s...cle_2060dd57-e95c-5153-815a-d6eba420f45b.html

It's here too. It looks to me like when Sarver took over the team, he paid $400 million. $200 million of that was to cover debt, and the rest paid off the old ownership group. I am not sure how that debt was viewed at the time--whether it was business as usual for an NBA team, or if it was something that was bearing down on the ownership that they had to fix.

The way I look at it is Jerry was never wealthy enough to be an NBA owner and that started to become evident in the late 90's and early 2000's. He spent like mad with the DBacks and had a habit of spending a lot with the Suns also. I think the other owners started trying to reign him in and that forced him to sell. When Sarver took over a team in debt he was worried about the same thing happening and wouldn't spend without doing his homework. That's backed up by the Joe Johnson deal also. He was worried about ending up in a position like Colangelo but he never needed to worry since he was independently wealthy while Colangelo was spending other people's money. So the debt looked bad to anyone on the outside looking in but once they were able to examine things some, it was Jerry in debt and not so much the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way I look at it is Jerry was never wealthy enough to be an NBA owner and that started to become evident in the late 90's and early 2000's. He spent like mad with the DBacks and had a habit of spending a lot with the Suns also. I think the other owners started trying to reign him in and that forced him to sell. When Sarver took over a team in debt he was worried about the same thing happening and wouldn't spend without doing his homework. That's backed up by the Joe Johnson deal also. He was worried about ending up in a position like Colangelo but he never needed to worry since he was independently wealthy while Colangelo was spending other people's money. So the debt looked bad to anyone on the outside looking in but once they were able to examine things some, it was Jerry in debt and not so much the Suns.
People who made money on multiple deals like Sarver are used to making money on every deal. He wants to earn a profit. The guys who got their fortune because their idea hit it big and they raked in huge profits off the sale of a company or IPO (like Cuban), don't mind spending some of their dough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back then a lot of franchises lost money every year and most of them borrowed against the increasing value of the franchise to stay afloat, Jerry did it the same way.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
People who made money on multiple deals like Sarver are used to making money on every deal. He wants to earn a profit. The guys who got their fortune because their idea hit it big and they raked in huge profits off the sale of a company or IPO (like Cuban), don't mind spending some of their dough.
I believe Sarver was rich, but financing 400 million is a LOT of money to pay off monthly! There were some articles where he was looking for new owners to help. It seems like Sarver's wealth has put him in a much better place now, than when he first bought the Suns. I think from the articles you guys have posted, that he is worth a lot more now. I think he was worried for a legitimate reason. That's a LOT of debt back then to buy the Suns.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sold for a record amount but Sarver took on a team that was $200 million in debt. They were not in a good spot financially. This article isn't about the debt specifically but it does mention it. I'm only posting it to back up the debt figure so if anyone wants to complain about the headline or other content in the article, they can save it.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/03/28/phoenix-suns-fans-give-robert-sarver-one-more-chance/

https://azdailysun.com/suns-to-be-s...cle_2060dd57-e95c-5153-815a-d6eba420f45b.html

It's here too. It looks to me like when Sarver took over the team, he paid $400 million. $200 million of that was to cover debt, and the rest paid off the old ownership group. I am not sure how that debt was viewed at the time--whether it was business as usual for an NBA team, or if it was something that was bearing down on the ownership that they had to fix.

The team was in debt but the reason the new ownership team was willing to pay that record amount is because the projected value of the NBA overall, projected shared revenue and the teams value were expected to skyrocket which is is exactly what happened. The team being in debt is not necessarily an indication of the financial outlook of the team.

The ownership team wasn't stupid. They wouldn't have agree to pay a record amount and assume the debt with a team financially unviable. The revenue potential and the future value of the team were not in question.

The Dbacks on the other hand were saddled with deferred salaries and knew they wouldn't emerge from red ink for at least 12 to 13 years after the World Series. I don't believe they did until sometime in 2014.

That's what I am referring to. Not remotely the same scenario. Not to mention a good deal to walk away with 40 million in the pocket and not be stressed out about leading an ownership team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back then a lot of franchises lost money every year and most of them borrowed against the increasing value of the franchise to stay afloat, Jerry did it the same way.

Agree. Back then losing money seemed to be the norm at least on paper.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams thinks the Suns can be really good in a year or two. This is very encouraging.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Monty Williams was the guest on @wojespn’s podcast today. When asked about his situation in Phoenix, Williams believes patience is going to be pivotal. Allowing the core to grow. The Suns’ new coach believes they have the chance to be really good within the next two years.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

7:15 AM - 23 May 2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More from Monty Williamson on Woj podcast.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

"We can share the basketball. We can defend and have a high care factor. Those are the things that build culture. Some families don’t have that." - Monty Williams Woj Pod:

9:23 AM - 23 May 2019

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is going to be a challenge. Igor wanted the guys to move the ball. It took almost all season for them to start getting open back door cuts off reads. Maybe they know how that is now. Or Williams will have the same challenge Igor had getting them to move that ball.

On defense, I know the idea is to switch and use guys to dominate on defense. However, when Ayton switches onto a guard, the guard just backs up, re-spaces the floor, and usually passes to the guy being guarded by Booker, or other smaller player, and they usually score on us off the mismatch. I have seen teams switch, then if a big is on a small an offside big will switch again and the guard goes out to the wing. The teams rotate their D to cover mismatches. I have also seen guys switch and then switch back immediately. These are usually playoff teams using these techniques. I hope we move our defense to this level.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is going to be a challenge. Igor wanted the guys to move the ball. It took almost all season for them to start getting open back door cuts off reads. Maybe they know how that is now. Or Williams will have the same challenge Igor had getting them to move that ball.

On defense, I know the idea is to switch and use guys to dominate on defense. However, when Ayton switches onto a guard, the guard just backs up, re-spaces the floor, and usually passes to the guy being guarded by Booker, or other smaller player, and they usually score on us off the mismatch. I have seen teams switch, then if a big is on a small an offside big will switch again and the guard goes out to the wing. The teams rotate their D to cover mismatches. I have also seen guys switch and then switch back immediately. These are usually playoff teams using these techniques. I hope we move our defense to this level.

Yes they only do the initial switching and get locked into a 1-on-1 situation, then get beat due to the mismatch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose