Suns plan to introduce new head coach Monty Williams Tuesday

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns plan to introduce new head coach Monty Williams on Tuesday, per 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s John Gambadoro.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns plan to introduce new head coach Monty Williams on Tuesday, per 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s John Gambadoro.

Was anything said about his assistant coaches yet or no? I think it might be too early for that but at the same time I would think he's probably reached out to one or two people that he'd like on his staff by now.

I read something last week that if Brett Brown was fired that Monty may bring him on as his lead assistant until Brown gets another shot at being a head coach somewhere. He hasn't been fired yet and I believe the Sixers said he wouldn't be let go either but plans change. That would be a good hire, IMO, since Brown has experience working with young teams like ours and also working with young bigs like Embiid.

Speaking of his assistants, here is a link to a more detailed breakdown of who his assistants were in the past that I posted. I didn't want to quote all of it again because it's a big post with a number of links. I'll post an abbreviated version below though.

He has had 8 different assistants in his 5 years as a head coach, 6 of those 8 may be available to join him here but 2 of them are currently head coaches in the NBA, Mike Malone in Denver and James Borrego in Charlotte, so that takes them off the table.

Bryan Gates - Assistant Coach for all 5 years Monty was in New Orleans.
Fred Vinson - Assistant Coach for all 5 years Monty was in New Orleans.
Dave Hanners - Assistant Coach for all 5 years Monty was in New Orleans.
Randy Ayers - Assistant Coach for Monty's first 2 seasons & his final year in NO.
Carlos Daniel - Assistant Coach & Player Development Coach for his final 2 years in NO.
Kevin Hanson - Assistant Coach for Monty's last season in New Orleans.

James Borrego - Assistant Coach for Monty's first 2 years in New Orleans.
Mike Malone - Monty's Assistant Coach in his first year as the Pelicans coach.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Was anything said about his assistant coaches yet or no? I think it might be too early for that but at the same time I would think he's probably reached out to one or two people that he'd like on his staff by now.

I read something last week that if Brett Brown was fired that Monty may bring him on as his lead assistant until Brown gets another shot at being a head coach somewhere. He hasn't been fired yet and I believe the Sixers said he wouldn't be let go either but plans change. That would be a good hire, IMO, since Brown has experience working with young teams like ours and also working with young bigs like Embiid.

Speaking of his assistants, here is a link to a more detailed breakdown of who his assistants were in the past that I posted. I didn't want to quote all of it again because it's a big post with a number of links. I'll post an abbreviated version below though.

He has had 8 different assistants in his 5 years as a head coach, 6 of those 8 may be available to join him here but 2 of them are currently head coaches in the NBA, Mike Malone in Denver and James Borrego in Charlotte, so that takes them off the table.

Bryan Gates - Assistant Coach for all 5 years Monty was in New Orleans.
Fred Vinson - Assistant Coach for all 5 years Monty was in New Orleans.
Dave Hanners - Assistant Coach for all 5 years Monty was in New Orleans.
Randy Ayers - Assistant Coach for Monty's first 2 seasons & his final year in NO.
Carlos Daniel - Assistant Coach & Player Development Coach for his final 2 years in NO.
Kevin Hanson - Assistant Coach for Monty's last season in New Orleans.

James Borrego - Assistant Coach for Monty's first 2 years in New Orleans.
Mike Malone - Monty's Assistant Coach in his first year as the Pelicans coach.

We signed two young assistant coaches from Gonzaga, Riccardo Fois, and Villanova, Matt Massimino, so far.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We signed two young assistant coaches from Gonzaga, Riccardo Fois, and Villanova, Matt Massimino, so far.
The Matt Massimino hire, while not reported here, has been getting some praise around the league. 2 guys from smaller programs that were absolutely terrific at getting star numbers from players you wouldn't think of as stars. Good for the young guys, and Massimino might be GREAT for Bridges.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Duane Rankin

@DuaneRankin

·
2m

'I am more than excited and committed and getting this thing going in the right direction," new #Suns coach Monty Williams.

Said he thinks it was already going in the right direction, which was a main reason he took the job.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

·
4m

Williams mentioned watching film on Booker. Said Booker reminds him of Brandon Roy. Feels like he can be a household name very soon. Also said he has a game that works in the playoffs. Good to hear him already thinking about that stuff.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Duane Rankin

@DuaneRankin

·
3m

Monty Williams said value of having a player like Devin Booker who can get "a bucket" is big.

He's excited about Deandre Ayton's skill set, but said it's tough to figure out how they'll play because the team will look different than what it does right now. #Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

·
4m

Williams mentioned watching film on Booker. Said Booker reminds him of Brandon Roy. Feels like he can be a household name very soon. Also said he has a game that works in the playoffs. Good to hear him already thinking about that stuff.
I do believe this. Booker has a game that will be effective in the playoffs. He is not easily thrown off his game by physical defense.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Duane Rankin

@DuaneRankin

·
5m

Monty Williams said Robert Sarver talked to him about things that he did in the past and owning up to those things that made him more comfortable about taking the job.

Feels like Sarver wants to bring something special to the city and that he wanted to be a part of that. #Suns

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson