Suns @ Pistons Sunday game thread 1-16-2022

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Never made sense to me how many players moved to mid or low top shoes.
No modern study shows any benefit from wearing high tops when it comes to injury prevention and plenty of guys get ankle injuries playing in Nike.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question. Do high tops limit mobility?

Looking at the number of low top shoes worn by NBA players it would appear players feel they do.

I'm not sure if there are any definitive studies though.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily call this 'definitive', but here's one I found through casual googling: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8368420/

Using a prospective, randomized experimental design, 622 college intramural basketball players were stratified by a previous history of ankle sprains to wear a new pair of either high-top, high-top with inflatable air chambers, or low-top basketball shoes during all games for a complete season. Subjects were asked to complete a history questionnaire and were given a complete ankle examination. They were allowed to wear these shoes only during basketball competition. Followed over the course of a 2-month intramural season, 15 ankle injuries occurred during 39,302 minutes of player-time: 7 in high-top shoes, 4 in low-top shoes, and 4 in high-top shoes with inflatable air chambers. The injury rates (injuries per player-minute) were 4.80 x 10(-4) in high-top shoes, 4.06 x 10(-4) in low-top shoes, and 2.69 x 10(-4) in high-top shoes with inflatable air chambers. There was no significant difference among these 3 groups, leading to the conclusion that there is no strong relationship between shoe type and ankle sprains.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the question, "Do high tops limit mobility?"

My guess is they do have some impact on mobility.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No modern study shows any benefit from wearing high tops when it comes to injury prevention and plenty of guys get ankle injuries playing in Nike.
I can only speak from personal experience. High tops always felt most secure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily call this 'definitive', but here's one I found through casual googling: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8368420/
Definitely not definitive. I’m not going to read that, but if they just used those raw numbers verses percentages it’s flawed at its core. And what I mean is, maybe the guys in the high tops just landed on someone’s foot in much higher numbers but only had 7 sprained ankles. There’s too many variables for this to likely be accurately studied. It’s also not a binary situation. What I mean is, what if the high top still results in a sprain but it lessens the severity by 20% or 30%? In my mind that would be material.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely not definitive. I’m not going to read that, but if they just used those raw numbers verses percentages it’s flawed at its core. And what I mean is, maybe the guys in the high tops just landed on someone’s foot in much higher numbers but only had 7 sprained ankles. There’s too many variables for this to likely be accurately studied. It’s also not a binary situation. What I mean is, what if the high top still results in a sprain but it lessens the severity by 20% or 30%? In my mind that would be material.
And some tie them tighter than others.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose