Suns @ Pelicans Tuesday game thread 1-4-2022

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While many of us (including me) thought that the suns were going to have to make a trade. The development of Stix and the surprising play of biyombo make that largely unnecessary

Disagree. This team still needs another wing or guard that can create their own shot/or be dynamite from 3. Payne and Shamet should have been our answer to match GS’ depth and shooting, but those guys haven’t been up to snuff to make our second unit the killer we thought it would before the season.

But adding Biyombo and Stix to the stable of Big Men would absolutely lock up our front court.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
still need another wing.
I'd prefer a better 3rd string PG. Elfrid has been on the court far too often and, really, I have hard time imagining there isn't some scrappy PG in the D league who would be a significant improvement.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. This team still needs another wing or guard that can create their own shot/or be dynamite from 3. Payne and Shamet should have been our answer to match GS’ depth and shooting, but those guys haven’t been up to snuff to make our second unit the killer we thought it would before the season.

But adding Biyombo and Stix to the stable of Big Men would absolutely lock up our front court.
I'd prefer a better 3rd string PG. Elfrid has been on the court far too often and, really, I have hard time imagining there isn't some scrappy PG in the D league who would be a significant improvement.

Maybe James Jones can pull another rabbit out of his hat like Biyombo.

Hopefully he can find a combo guard/forward that can handle the ball and be a 3 & D player.

James Jones is starting to remind of Steve Keim of the Cardinals. He is not as good developing talent as he is at finding gems that have been cast aside or have hidden upside.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m signing Biyambo for the rest of the season and cutting Frank Kaminsky.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m signing Biyambo for the rest of the season and cutting Frank Kaminsky.

No, I think Frank is too good for chemistry.

The Suns have an open roster spot for Biyombo and they can make another spot via a trade if they feel they need too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised they're starting Jalen instead of Biyambo. Maybe Monty being out plays a role in that. I know Stix was thrust into that role because of the Covid outbreak on the team so it does make sense to stick with it. However now that Monty is back and has had a chance to coach Biyambo for a minute, perhaps its a change that's coming. Of course once Ayton or McGee returns then both with be coming off the bench.

We actually have a nice group of bigs and could be really strong come playoff time if everyone is healthy and we retain Bismack.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

100% I think Biyambo might be this seasons Craig. He strong athletic vet that can bang.

We clearly need another guy who can create his own shot. Who that would be I have no idea

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised they're starting Jalen instead of Biyambo. Maybe Monty being out plays a role in that. I know Stix was thrust into that role because of the Covid outbreak on the team so it does make sense to stick with it. However now that Monty is back and has had a chance to coach Biyambo for a minute, perhaps its a change that's coming. Of course once Ayton or McGee returns then both with be coming off the bench.

We actually have a nice group of bigs and could be really strong come playoff time if everyone is healthy and we retain Bismack.

With them traveling so much I think it makes sense to have Stix start since he knows the system. I bet Biz is mostly watching video and going over schemes, then cross fingers. It’s been going well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bismack Biyombo wasn't on the roster when Jalen Smith began starting for the Suns.

I don't think it would be fair to uproot him from the role by starting a player on a 10-day contract. Some things need to be earned.

It appears Biz is the better center though so things will change when players return from health and safety protocols.

I believe Monty will return Stix to power forward with all the Suns depth at center.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Bismack Biyombo wasn't on the roster when Jalen Smith began starting for the Suns.

I don't think it would be fair to uproot him from the role by starting a player on a 10-day contract. Some things need to be earned.

It appears Biz is the better center though so things will change when players return from health and safety protocols.

I believe Monty will return Stix to power forward with all the Suns depth at center.

I don't think he has much choice other than to return Stix to PF. There's no minutes at C when Ayton and McGee come back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he has much choice other than to return Stix to PF. There's no minutes at C when Ayton and McGee come back.

We agree. There is not much choice and it's better for Jalen as well. His future is at power forward.

Too bad the Suns didn't wait for him to make the transition. If he didn't have a mid-range shot it would be different but he does.

Also it looks like the NBA 3-point shot is looking better and better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really need to get to the free throw line more often. 5 total 4 minutes into the 4th just isn't enough.