Suns @ Pelicans Sunday Playoff game thread 4-24-2022 - Game 4

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
For some reason we, once again, just completely stopped giving him the ball after a great start to the game.
I agree the Suns did stopped giving Ayton the ball and with Booker's high offensive production out Ayton offense is desperately needed. So far the only Suns not choking are Paul, Ayton, McGee and Monty finally gave Aaron some time and responded well. Bismack needs some minutes as well. To always blame Ayton is ridiculous when Crowder, Payne, Cam, Craig, Shamet aren't playing up to their capabilities. Especially Crowder, Shamet, and Craig.
For some reason we, once again, just completely stopped giving him the ball after a great start to the game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Pelicans have scored at least 63 points in the second half of every game. Booker wouldn't change that. Unless the Suns can somehow win 125-120 a couple of times, this series is over. They are two Paul fourth-quarter miracles away from having been already swept.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been holding off the holiday bandwagon bc I think we need cam Payne to play his way outta this funk. But I’m think I’m there now. Cant let Payne’s awfulness cost us the first round.
To put in perspective how bad Payne has been?

He has not had back to back double digit scoring games since March 23rd.
He has had only 2 games with more than one steal since March 15th.
He shot 33% from 3 Point this season (29.9% in March)
In the Playoffs he has not hit a single 3 (0 for 12)
In the playoffs his FG% is 29.1%
In the playoffs avg 4.7 PPG
In the playoffs avg more TO than assists

I mean I would be hard pressed to find worse backup PG play than Payne in the playoffs. I have no clue if Holiday is up for the task but at this point? He is killing us in the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pelicans have scored at least 63 points in the second half of every game. Booker wouldn't change that. Unless the Suns can somehow win 125-120 a couple of times, this series is over. They are two Paul fourth-quarter miracles away from having been already swept.
I woulda probably argued with the above after Friday’s W, but not anymore. It’s going to take a Herculean effort from everyone to win 2 more games in this series.

What this series IS showing again is that we need more playmakers. Bridges looked like he was becoming one in mid-season, but has become a shrinking violet on offense.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only possible adjustment is to play Holiday over Payne. But the problem with that is Holiday hasn’t had much live action… It’d be a risk… but perhaps one worth trying.
See my post on Payne's numbers. He is one of the worst backup PG in the playoffs right now and he didn't play much better for an entire month previous. What risk would there be? He is already one of the worst in the entire playoffs and we are tied 2-2.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I woulda probably argued with the above after Friday’s W, but not anymore. It’s going to take a Herculean effort from everyone to win 2 more games in this series.

What this series IS showing again is that we need more playmakers. Bridges looked like he was becoming one in mid-season, but has become a shrinking violet on offense.
We also need more athletic length. The Pels put out guys like Ingram, the rookie Jones, Nance… And we have Ayton.
James Jones will fix this.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
See my post on Payne's numbers. He is one of the worst backup PG in the playoffs right now and he didn't play much better for an entire month previous. What risk would there be? He is already one of the worst in the entire playoffs and we are tied 2-2.
Just in terms of rhythm and flow. I know everyone wants Holiday. But the odds of him making any type of meaningful difference aren’t too great. Still, I’d bench Payne if I were Monty.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. Move crowder off of brandon ingram. Put mikal on him, shamat on CJ
2. CP isnt even takinf the opportunities even when he gets to his spots
3. Ayton needs to get the ball every time down the floor and go around jonas and take him out of the game
4. Both Cams and Mikal need to be agressive and hit open shots

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in terms of rhythm and flow. I know everyone wants Holiday. But the odds of him making any type of meaningful difference aren’t too great. Still, I’d bench Payne if I were Monty.
I don't disagree. I just said, not sure if he will be a difference maker or is ready for this. However, he literally can't play worse than Payne. There are not very many players in the playoffs playing worse than Payne. It's time to bench Payne.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea… I’m not sure Stix was the answer and would be making the difference in this series… that said, we need a much better option for Crowder.

Stix certainly would have been more productive than Craig. That was the trade.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Bridges is someone I honestly can’t figure out. He has the hardest defensive matchup so a lot of his energy is spent on that end and we don’t run a lot of plays for him.

His jumper has been off this series but so has everyone except Ayton lol. This team NEEDS to show up on Tuesday. Our season is on the line.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, not sure if the announcers actually know something but they said Booker is "out for at least two more games". If true that means no Booker for 5 or 6.

I hate to say it but I think the Pelicans have a great shot winning the next two games.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I both said at halftime Paul doesn't look right. He was giving up the ball like he did when he was hurt and couldn't dribble. If Paul isn't 100%? This series is over.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also need more athletic length. The Pels put out guys like Ingram, the rookie Jones, Nance… And we have Ayton.
James Jones will fix this.

He needed to fix it the past off-season after Milwaukee exposed that weakness with lineups of Holiday, Middleton, Tucker, Giannis, and Portis.

Next season CP3 will be a year older and another step slower as well. Not that he won't be effective but that's another thing that will need to be compensated for, primarily in regards to needing someone who can create their own shot offensively and help close games besides Booker and Paul.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, not sure if the announcers actually know something but they said Booker is "out for at least two more games". If true that means no Booker for 5 or 6.

I hate to say it but I think the Pelicans have a great shot winning the next two games.

Not that different than a lot of us predicted, he won't return until there's an elimination game. Winning game 3 was huge for getting him rest because I believe he would have rushed back if we were down 1-2.

At this point though home court is in play, we need to hold serve and not allow them to get going in game 5.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose