Suns @ Pelicans Friday Playoff game thread 4-22-2022 - Game 3

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bismack used to play power forward. Since there's hardly any minutes at Center for him with Ayton & McGhee taking up all those minutes why not try him at power forward and to see if we can Narrow that rebounding difference and provide a bigger body that Crowder. Because Crowder just isn't getting it done. I know everyone says Jae blocks out and plays defense well and spaces the floor with some 3's but with him getting 3 points and what 7 rebounds total for these last two games is underachieving pretty much. Maybe he'll slap out and have a great game tonight as it will be needed. Hope everyone steps up tonight.

I agree Crowder has not produced. He only has a combined 6 points and 7 rebounds the last two games. Torrey Craig has been worse with a combined 0 points and 1 rebound over the same period.

Biyombo has been a center as long as I can remember but the Suns have played him on rare occasion at power forward. I don't remember it being very effective but the Suns have to try something.

A weakness of Biyombo is he can't spread the court. His shots have to be near the basket. Suns are missing Kaminsky and Smith who could both play some 4/5 and give the Suns a bigger starting lineup beside Ayton.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard on the radio the Suns are starting Cam Johnson. I think it's a good move if the real Cam shows up. If not? They may need to bring in Shamet. We have to take care of the boards, need to shoot better from 3 and most of all play more like a team. We can't have Chris Paul play like he did last time with no production from the PF and SG spots at the same time. That's 3 positions with no production. That will be a disaster. I think between Ayton/McGee we should be OK at center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard on the radio the Suns are starting Cam Johnson. I think it's a good move if the real Cam shows up. If not? They may need to bring in Shamet. We have to take care of the boards, need to shoot better from 3 and most of all play more like a team. We can't have Chris Paul play like he did last time with no production from the PF and SG spots at the same time. That's 3 positions with no production. That will be a disaster. I think between Ayton/McGee we should be OK at center.

This is what Arizona Sports has been saying, that Cam Johnson will start at shooting guard. I'm not sure if it's the right move because the Suns problem lies more with Crowder and Ayton not producing. Anyway, it gives the Suns more length to match up with the Pelicans.

So far Crowder and Craig have been huge disappointments. This may open the door for Ish Wainright to get some minutes. At least with Wainright we know he will play hard.

Also Payne has not been producing much off the bench. I would consider playing Payne and Holiday together or starting Shamet. Right now Alvarado plays more like Payne than Payne. Anyway, the Suns need added punch at point guard and Holiday might provide it.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This is what Arizona Sports has been saying, th

So far Crowder and Craig have been huge disappointments. This may open the door for Ish Wainright to get some minutes. At least with Wainright we know he will play hard.

I totally agree, I'd love to see Ish get a 2-5 minute stint if Crowder and Craig are still stinking up the joint just to get some energy. He's big, can rebound and his shot has improved steadily through the season. He's a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency signing and this could be the right time to break that glass.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree, I'd love to see Ish get a 2-5 minute stint if Crowder and Craig are still stinking up the joint just to get some energy. He's big, can rebound and his shot has improved steadily through the season. He's a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency signing and this could be the right time to break that glass.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give Wainright a look. I want to see a hungry Suns team. Monty will need to scour the bench if the Suns do not come out ready to play.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Arizona Sports has been saying, that Cam Johnson will start at shooting guard. I'm not sure if it's the right move because the Suns problem lies more with Crowder and Ayton not producing. Anyway, it gives the Suns more length to match up with the Pelicans.

Also Payne has not been producing much off the bench. I would consider playing Payne and Holiday together or starting Shamet. Right now Alvarado plays more like Payne than Payne. Anyway, the Suns need added punch at point guard and Holiday might provide it.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to give Wainright a look. I want to see a hungry Suns team. Monty will need to scour the bench if the Suns do not come out ready to play.
I think it should help on the boards but if Cam can't show signs of pre-injury play he might need the quick hook to go with Shamet who we brought in to play this role. The lack of production at the PF spot is my biggest issue. I think between Ayton/McGee combined I am less concerned even though the production has lacked there as well.

I am with you 100%. Crowder/Craig have been huge disappointments. Craig other than I think two games in the regular season has done nothing since being acquired. I don't necessarily disagree they should give Ish a look but I doubt it happens. Monty shortened the lineup last year in the playoffs and seems intent on doing it this year. I seriously doubt we see much of Ish, Holiday, Biyombo which I think is a mistake. Shamet probably wouldn't get off the bench either if it wasn't for Booker's injury. Our bench was a huge factor in the regular season and yet we seemed intent on not taking advantage of it.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
THIS is what needs to be fixed:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Suns had two players in position that made zero effort to box out and TWO Pelicans just waltzed around them for an easy put back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns had two players in position that made zero effort to box out and TWO Pelicans just waltzed around them for an easy put back.

No one bothered to help Ayton. Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges standing around.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't you just suggest the same move yesterday with Cam? At any rate, I think it should help on the boards but the lack of production at the PF spot is my biggest issue. I think between Ayton/McGee combined I am less concerned even though the production has lacked there as well.

I am with you 100%. Crowder/Craig have been huge disappointments. Craig other than I think two games in the regular season has done nothing since being acquired. I don't necessarily disagree they should give Ish a look but I doubt it happens. Monty shortened the lineup last year in the playoffs and seems intent on doing it this year. I seriously doubt we see much of Ish, Holiday, Biyombo which I think is a mistake. Shamet probably wouldn't get off the bench either if it wasn't for Booker's injury. Our bench was a huge factor in the regular season.

I don't recall mentioning Wainright yesterday but if I didn't I should have.

Suns might want to look at playing two centers together. I don't care what you call them but Ayton needs help on the boards.

Payne has disappeared for the most part so I wouldn't mind giving Holiday minutes with Payne or beside Shamet. Suns need more scoring and distributing off the bench so this might help.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall mentioning Wainright yesterday but if I didn't I should have.

Suns might want to look at playing two centers together. I don't care what you call them but Ayton needs help on the boards.

Payne has disappeared for the most part so I wouldn't mind giving Holiday minutes with Payne or beside Shamet. Suns need more scoring and distributing off the bench so this might help.
Not sure how badly it would impact our flow offensively or defensively but playing Cam at the two and playing Ayton with either McGee or Biyombo might be the only way to stop the rebounding issue. I still think you need McGee to come off the bench. I just cringe on what it would do to our flow on the flipside. Not sure there is an easy answer.

There are so many guys who have yet to show up these playoffs which is disturbing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how badly it would impact our flow offensively or defensively but playing Cam at the two and playing Ayton with either McGee or Biyombo might be the only way to stop the rebounding issue. I still think you need McGee to come off the bench. I just cringe on what it would do to our flow on the flipside. Not sure there is an easy answer.

There are so many guys who have yet to show up these playoffs which is disturbing.

I had just mentioned to Cheese I wish the Suns had given Ayton more minutes at power forward this season so the Suns could better throw a big lineup at the Pelicans.

I'm not really a fan of Cam at the 2 but it's worth a look.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had just mentioned to Cheese I wish the Suns had given Ayton more minutes at power forward this season so the Suns could better throw a big lineup at the Pelicans.

If not at the two I think he should get the start over Crowder at the 4. The four as been by far our weakest spot on the floor through two games even though I don't think Cam is a real 4 either. We have to try something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m with ya on the Cam of it all. Would rather have see Shamet start… which I know sounds insane from the guy who bashed Shamet repeatedly the first three months of the season.

And again, I think we erred getting rid of Stix. He was the guy we could at least TRY to play a big lineup with. Craig has been absolute garbage AND adds 5 million to a payroll next year that is facing Ayton/Cam extensions. Could be a move that hurts us in the present and future.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If not at the two I think he should get the start over Crowder at the 4. The four as been by far our weakest spot on the floor through two games even though I don't think Cam is a real 4 either. We have to try something.

Somebody needs to set an alarm clock for Crowder and Craig so I have notproblem starting Cam Johnson at the 4. Maybe it awakens Crowder out of his slump. I'm not sure how much it helps on the boards though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with ya on the Cam of it all. Would rather have see Shamet start… which I know sounds insane from the guy who bashed Shamet repeatedly the first three months of the season.

And again, I think we erred getting rid of Stix. He was the guy we could at least TRY to play a big lineup with. Craig has been absolute garbage AND adds 5 million to a payroll next year that is facing Ayton/Cam extensions. Could be a move that hurts us in the present and future.
That acquisition and Craig's lack of production shocks me a bit. So far, he has been a shell of the guy we had on the team last year. Last year he was diving, fighting and clawing constantly. He looks like a guy going through the motions this year or he has fallen off a cliff.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm for starting Shamet as well and it doesn't mess with the bench so much. I really would like to see Payne and Holiday play together.

I couldn't agree more, not picking up the option on Stix or not keeping him at least until the end of the of the season was a huge mistake. Picking up the option on Stix would have cost about the same amount as paying Craig next season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm for starting Shamet as well and it doesn't mess with the bench so much. I really would like to see Payne and Holiday play together.

I couldn't agree more, not picking up the option on Stix or not keeping him at least until the end of the of the season was a huge mistake. Picking up the option on Stix would have cost about the same amount as paying Craig next season.
I’m over the option thing. It didn’t happen. But they compounded that mistake by making another when they traded him/Monty was too rigid to give him minutes when he was producing and could have grown a little more into the role of backup 4 if we needed to go that route against teams with more size. And then added payroll to next year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m over the option thing. It didn’t happen. But they compounded that mistake by making another when they traded him/Monty was too rigid to give him minutes when he was producing and could have grown a little more into the role of backup 4 if we needed to go that route against teams with more size. And then added payroll to next year.

The Suns could have traded Payton and Kaminsky plus a couple 2nd round picks for Craig if they wanted him so much and still kept Stix.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns could have traded Payton and Kaminsky plus a couple 2nd round picks for Craig if they wanted him so much and still kept Stix.
LOL You know that Indy probably wanted Stix, right? Nobody wants Payton and probably not Kaminsky's contract. Sure it might same them some money, but both of them together is just a minimal savings. And you overvalue 2nd rounders--especially for good teams.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pacers wanted money off the books for their rebuild. They have no rights to Jalen Smith. The Suns probably should have received the 2nd round pick.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welpppppp another poff big gm without a key player...

Hoping and prayin suns rise to the occasion.....

Fingers crossed heavily gooooo suns :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yup. They’re ball watching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave