Suns open Las Vegas Summer League August 8th, 2021

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
PGs
Jaleen Smith - Looks like a shorter but thicker, more bulldog, right hand version of Cam Payne. Good rebounder for his size
6'4, 26 yo, USA. *German League MVP

Trey Kell - reminds me a lot of Dillon Brooks. Sweet stroke.
6'4, 25 yo, USA.

SGs
Justin Simon - Poor mans Derick Jones Jr. Long, out of control to a point, dunker
6'5, 25 yo, USA.

Ty-Shon Alexander
6'4, 23 yo, USA. * Two-way contract.

Jón Axel Guðmundsson - Not a fan. Drives with eyes down. Decent stroke. Bulldog
6'5, 24 yo, Iceland.

SFs
Karim Jallow - ???
6'6, 24 yo, Germany.

PFs
Emmanuel Nzekwesi - Quick hands and a good drop step but not much else
6'8, 23 yo, Netherlands. *Dutch League MVP

Vitto Brown - Looks like he'd do really well as a PnR and PnP roll player. 3 is similar to Horry. Not sure about D
6'8, 26 yo, USA.

Tyrique Jones - REALLY impressive. Really good in PnR. Banger. Dunker. Can't wait to see what he does in SL
6'9, 24 yo, USA.

Cs
Jalen Smith
6'10, 21 yo, USA. *15-man roster.

Zach Hankins - Reminds me a lot of Birdman. Fluid feet but will be interesting in SL
6'11, 25 yo, USA.

Jo Lual-Acuil - Good handles, GREAT hook shot, more of a finesse player
7'0, 27 yo, Sudan.

All in all if this is our SL team I'm looking forward to seeing 2nd yr guys Tyshon and Jalen, but interested to see what Tre, Vitto, Tyrique, Zach and Jo look like.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would be nice if Stix got some actual mins this year. You don't get better sitting on the bench.
Throw him in the damn fire and see what he's made of.
You can't win in the finals by playing the same 5 players.

Let's see if he can hold his own in the G League first before counting on him to contribute in the NBA to a team with championship aspirations.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The fact we carried Alexander throughout most of the season is odd considering the front office's apathy toward undrafted rookies and the G-League. I wonder what they see in him. Perhaps they'll cut him loose soon.

They had Jalen Leque on a guaranteed deal the year before as an undrafted rookie. Not sure where you get the idea there is an aversion to undrafted rookies within the front office. This is the first draft that JJ hasn't signed one quickly.

Folster

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They had Jalen Leque on a guaranteed deal the year before as an undrafted rookie. Not sure where you get the idea there is an aversion to undrafted rookies within the front office. This is the first draft that JJ hasn't signed one quickly.

Selling the G-league team and not taking a flyer on a single undrafted FA clued me in.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Selling the G-league team and not taking a flyer on a single undrafted FA clued me in.

2 of the drafts that Jones has been GM for ended with him signing an undrafted rookie. This is the first year he hasn't taken a flyer on one. We don't have a G League team of our own anymore but having one didn't help us when we were the worst team in the league. We can still send players down as we have an affiliate team, just not one owned by Sarver.

Muggz

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let's see if he can hold his own in the G League first before counting on him to contribute in the NBA to a team with championship aspirations.
Championship aspirations? That was last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Championship aspirations? That was last season.

You don't believe there are championship aspirations this season? I don't see any reason there shouldn't be.

I think Stix will be fine. He had a year to practice with a professional team and will be the featured piece of our Summer League team. He may not be ready to play big minutes this year but he'll be more prepared when or if he's called upon.

offset

i have a special purpose
Reaction score
You don't believe there are championship aspirations this season? I don't see any reason there shouldn't be.

I think Stix will be fine. He had a year to practice with a professional team and will be the featured piece of our Summer League team. He may not be ready to play big minutes this year but he'll be more prepared when or if he's called upon.
I am just hoping he can take the Kaminsky minutes and at least match, if not exceed the production. I think he can be a decent player, and that is the stepping stone I would like to see out of him this upcoming year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just hoping he can take the Kaminsky minutes and at least match, if not exceed the production. I think he can be a decent player, and that is the stepping stone I would like to see out of him this upcoming year.
That would be nice but it would be quite a leap for a player that didn't have much of a preseason and lost a good portion of the shortened season to Covid and injury. As a result he finished the season looking as raw as he did when he entered the league. And now, with a shortened offseason, I don't know what to expect. I guess I'd be happy if he just looked like a real prospect in Summer League.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That would be nice but it would be quite a leap for a player that didn't have much of a preseason and lost a good portion of the shortened season to Covid and injury. As a result he finished the season looking as raw as he did when he entered the league. And now, with a shortened offseason, I don't know what to expect. I guess I'd be happy if he just looked like a real prospect in Summer League.

This. But don't get your hopes up. I think he is still a year away from even that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. But don't get your hopes up. I think he is still a year away from even that.

Yeah I think he is too but hoping is free. As long as the Front Office isn't making decisions based on hope we shouldn't see much of him this season except for summer games and maybe some garbage minutes when the games count.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I think he is too but hoping is free. As long as the Front Office isn't making decisions based on hope we shouldn't see much of him this season except for summer games and maybe some garbage minutes when the games count.

My fear is that the decision last season not to add another big was based on hope that Stix could contribute.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fear is that the decision last season not to add another big was based on hope that Stix could contribute.
Maybe to a small extent. But I think they mostly expected bubble Saric and Damian Jones to provide the help we needed at the power spots.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe to a small extent. But I think they mostly expected bubble Saric and Damian Jones to provide the help we needed at the power spots.

But what about when Damian Jones didn't, and they let him go without replacing him?

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Drafting Stix early went away from the James Jones philosophy of acquiring players ready to contribute now and it hurt.