Suns open Las Vegas Summer League August 8th, 2021

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm I did watch it and really didn’t come away impressed.

I didn't watch much but I liked what I saw given what it is. It's hard to be impressed by things during such amateur outings. It was his first summer league though and he didn't disappoint, which is what I was worried about. He looked like a mid 1st round who still needs work but he showed an ability to crash the boards, hit some outside shots, and do a little inside.

What were you expecting?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I do see skills and potential. To be fair, when he plays he will be standing in the corner on half court sets. Would still like to see more lower body strength, better shooting, more motor, and more aggressiveness.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't watch much but I liked what I saw given what it is. It's hard to be impressed by things during such amateur outings. It was his first summer league though and he didn't disappoint, which is what I was worried about. He looked like a mid 1st round who still needs work but he showed an ability to crash the boards, hit some outside shots, and do a little inside.

What were you expecting?
From a player who was picked 10th and spent an entire season getting NBA coaching and practicing with high level pros? Better. I didn’t see amazing defense or offense. His rebounding numbers were impressive but not so over the top that it made me take note of it during the games much. And he got up plenty of shots so tough to blame the old “those crap guards never got him the bal” go-to excuse we’ve all become accustomed to.

he didn’t crap the bed. But he really didn’t look great out there against what we all can admit is inferior talent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do see skills and potential. To be fair, when he plays he will be standing in the corner on half court sets. Would still like to see more lower body strength, better shooting, more motor, and more aggressiveness.
He will also be attacking hard closeouts like he attempted (and failed) to do in the summer league games. I was impressed with his recognition of an opportunity to take a few dribbles, but instead of taking it the hole he would pull up and miss the jumper badly each time. That’s not a net positive play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will also be attacking hard closeouts like he attempted (and failed) to do in the summer league games. I was impressed with his recognition of an opportunity to take a few dribbles, but instead of taking it the hole he would pull up and miss the jumper badly each time. That’s not a net positive play.

I'm not counting on Stix to be a contributor this coming season so how the Suns fill that open 15th roster spot is so important.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From a player who was picked 10th and spent an entire season getting NBA coaching and practicing with high level pros? Better. I didn’t see amazing defense or offense. His rebounding numbers were impressive but not so over the top that it made me take note of it during the games much. And he got up plenty of shots so tough to blame the old “those crap guards never got him the bal” go-to excuse we’ve all become accustomed to.

he didn’t crap the bed. But he really didn’t look great out there against what we all can admit is inferior talent.

I'm not blaming the guards for his play. I think its a hard environment to show anything considered amazing. The only players that really amaze me in SL are Derrick Jones Jr types, those who can jump out of the gym and throw down some big dunks. Outside of those plays though I can't think of anything I'd consider amazing in SL play from anyone.

I like that Jalen showed more than he has as far as being ready or improving. He struggled in the G League to make any sort of impact just 4-5 months ago and now he's the leading rebounder in SL play while scoring a respectable amount on his own. He wasn't spoon fed any easy baskets and while he could have shot better it wouldnt surprise me if he shot close to the league average for unassisted shots for a PF.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Josh Jackson was on the Summer League first team in 2017. Ayton was second team in 2018.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not blaming the guards for his play. I think its a hard environment to show anything considered amazing. The only players that really amaze me in SL are Derrick Jones Jr types, those who can jump out of the gym and throw down some big dunks. Outside of those plays though I can't think of anything I'd consider amazing in SL play from anyone.

I like that Jalen showed more than he has as far as being ready or improving. He struggled in the G League to make any sort of impact just 4-5 months ago and now he's the leading rebounder in SL play while scoring a respectable amount on his own. He wasn't spoon fed any easy baskets and while he could have shot better it wouldnt surprise me if he shot close to the league average for unassisted shots for a PF.

Physically I'm not sure if Stix can improve much more. He is in fantastic shape but I'm not sure if his frame can carry much more weight. Mentally, I think he wants to be a good player so I think he will put in the effort. If he had a body build like Precious Achiuwa I would be more optimistic. He just doesn't seem to have the build to play inside.

Stix game appears to be more of a stretch 4. At this point I want to compare him to a light version of Channing Frye. Actually this may be a best case scenario.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Physically I'm not sure if Stix can improve much more. He is in fantastic shape but I'm not sure if his frame can carry much more weight. Mentally, I think he wants to be a good player so I think he will put in the effort. If he had a body build like Precious Achiuwa I would be more optimistic. He just doesn't seem to have the build to play inside.

Stix game appears to be more of a stretch 4. At this point I want to compare him to a light version of Channing Frye. Actually this may be a best case scenario.
“Stretch 4” is such a buzzword it becomes meaningless in player comparisons.

Channing Frye? Really? Already, Stix’s best quality is his rebounding, which was never a strength of Frye. If you make Stix a stretch 4, you nullify his best quality.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Estimating production based on summer league play and college stats can be misleading.

I didn't see Stix pulling down many contested rebounds in summer league with many put-backs.

He only shot 36.5% from the field and 35.7% from 3-point range. Those are not stats from a player scoring inside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Estimating production based on summer league play and college stats can be misleading.

I didn't see Stix pulling down many contested rebounds in summer league with many put-backs.

He only shot 36.5% from the field and 35.7% from 3-point range. Those are not stats from a player scoring inside.
35.7 from three is decent for a big man. That is something to build on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm always looking for positives in a player but Stix does not look like he will be a contributor this season. He has trouble playing in traffic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I actually thought his outside shooting would be better based on how he shot in college. It seemed he became too nervous, or regressed a bit when he started playing with us. I do see before and after games coaches are working on that shot with him a lot!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Yuma

I've been watching highlight and scouting video of Jalen Smith when he played for Maryland. He looks like a different player in a Suns uniform. He was so spontaneous in college playing all over the court inside and out. His offense and defense looked unleashed. Also he was comfortable hitting threes in the flow of the offense but not just in the corner. Actually he looked more relaxed playing up top and working inside from there.

Also Stix actually looked much bigger in college for some reason even though he has put on more weight and muscle with the Suns. Maybe it's because the Suns play him in the corner so much he appears hidden away or maybe he now plays with restraint? All I know is Stix was bigger than life in college and now he plays much more rigid.

I wish the Suns would give him more opportunity to play up top and work inside from there. It could be Stix was more of a center in college and the Suns want him to play a stretch 4 role. When the Suns have him standing in the corner waiting for a three, I think it takes away from his game. He can do so much more than shoot.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
@Yuma

I've been watching highlight and scouting video of Jalen Smith when he played for Maryland. He looks like a different player in a Suns uniform. He was so spontaneous in college playing all over the court inside and out. His offense and defense looked unleashed. Also he was comfortable hitting threes in the flow of the offense but not just in the corner. Actually he looked more relaxed playing up top and working inside from there.

Also Stix actually looked much bigger in college for some reason even though he has put on more weight and muscle with the Suns. Maybe it's because the Suns play him in the corner so much he appears hidden away or maybe he now plays with restraint? All I know is Stix was bigger than life in college and now he plays much more rigid.

I wish the Suns would give him more opportunity to play up top and work inside from there. It could be Stix was more of a center in college and the Suns want him to play a stretch 4 role. When the Suns have him standing in the corner waiting for a three, I think it takes away from his game. He can do so much more than shoot.
The coach was setting up plays and screens for Stix when they needed buckets. He hit late game shots for them when needed. It was funny, I was less worried about his shot when we drafted him than his defense or rebounding. I know he can do it. I think his confidence, or adjusting to the speed and size of NBA, or whatever the issue is, I am waiting to see the light bulb go on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave