Suns Off-season Thread

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now, I think we're best off offering Ayton the 4 year max and telling him that if he refuses we will match it when someone else offers.

The guy seems like too much of a softy to go full nuclear and say he would sit out the year. Even if it means a bumpy ride next year, we can almost certainly get better trade value next summer than we would now with a sign and trade where the league has the impression that we are ready to move on.

I agree. I'd offer the 4 year max with 8% annual increases. We keep the 5th year off the table. The most another team can offer would be a 4 year max with 5% annual increase. If he signs another team's offer sheet it will have multiple player options, accelerators, and restrict our ability to trade him without his consent for a year. Giving the 8% raises would be worth it to avoid the nonsense.

If he does not sign with us in that scenario it tells us what we need to know and his days will be numbered.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is eligible for a 4 year $211 million super max extension this off season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devin Booker is eligible for a 4 year $211 million super max extension this off season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's definitely worth a max extension but a super max extension is questionable. I'd hope he'll settle for the regular extension but odds of that are slim. I'd imagine that JJ would at least approach him about taking less to get more help around him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's definitely worth a max extension but a super max extension is questionable. I'd hope he'll settle for the regular extension but odds of that are slim. I'd imagine that JJ would at least approach him about taking less to get more help around him.
It's not questionable to me. The rules say he qualifies and the currrent thinking is that if you qualify, you get it. So he'll get it. And we'll be screwed. I love Devin but building a championship team around a player at Booker's level, drawing the super max, will now be far more difficult - almost impossible.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not questionable to me. The rules say he qualifies and the currrent thinking is that if you qualify, you get it. So he'll get it. And we'll be screwed. I love Devin but building a championship team around a player at Booker's level, drawing the super max, will now be far more difficult - almost impossible.
Yeah… only way that happens is if we strike Kawai-like paydirt with a mid first rounder at some point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA salary cap could jump to $170+ million in 2025 with the new television contract.

Finito

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah he’s not a unicorn. Really good but he’s not special and special is what wins championships

Finito

Banned
Reaction score
The NBA salary cap could jump to $170+ million in 2025 with the new television contract.

That’s what I keep saying about Ayton. The cap is going to jump like crazy with streaming and gambling being factored in

These max contracts today are going to seem like bargains

nashman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah he’s not a unicorn. Really good but he’s not special and special is what wins championships
You don’t think Booker is special? But yet you think Ayton is hmm ok weird take! Booker is a top player in this league it ended badly this year but let’s not get crazy.

Finito

Banned
Reaction score
You don’t think Booker is special? But yet you think Ayton is hmm ok weird take! Booker is a top player in this league it ended badly this year but let’s not get crazy.

Never once said Ayton was special never once.

No he’s not “special” Lebron is special, Giannis is special, Steph is special, KD is special

Booker isn’t in that class