Suns Off-season Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always about how you finish, but don't you want to know?

I tired of this festering. Win or lose, I want to take the next step.
Sure, I want to see it but I don't think this team has made any significant additions IMO to feel like it would change a playoff outcome. I think the Mavs have gotten better while IMO the Suns at BEST are a push from last season but I think we are a little worse. My expectations would be different if we had pulled off at least one high impact trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I want to see it but I don't think this team has made any significant additions IMO to feel like it would change a playoff outcome. I think the Mavs have gotten better while IMO the Suns at BEST are a push from last season but I think we are a little worse. My expectations would be different if we had pulled off at least one high impact trade.

I'm not sure the Mavericks have gotten better. They lost Jalen Brunson. I'm aware of their additions.

Personally, I think the Suns problems started on the defensive end of the court and it began with strategy.

So I want to see how the Suns adapt defensively. We probably will not see the final edition of these two teams until around the trade deadline.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the Mavericks have gotten better. They lost Jalen Brunson. I'm aware of their additions.

Personally, I think the Suns problems started on the defensive end of the court and it began with strategy.

So I want to see how the Suns adapt defensively. We probably will not see the final edition of these two teams until around the trade deadline.
I think they are because despite the loss of Brunson they shored up their biggest weakness. Just my opinion. I don't think we have shored up ours and lost one of our best defense guys on the team. Even with Saric returning, he doesn't help us defensively one bit.

I expect the Suns to compete in the West already. That expectation hasn't changed because the team is still really talented so not sure what measure I would get out of an early season game. It would be nice to see one of these roster filler guys step up and surprise us. Other than that? I have no expectations for the people we have signed. Again, I would feel different if we had made a high impact trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are because despite the loss of Brunson they shored up their biggest weakness. Just my opinion. I don't think we have shored up ours and lost one of our best defense guys on the team. Even with Saric returning, he doesn't help us defensively one bit.

I expect the Suns to compete in the West already. That expectation hasn't changed because the team is still really talented so not sure what measure I would get out of an early season game. It would be nice to see one of these roster filler guys step up and surprise us. Other than that? I have no expectations for the people we have signed. Again, I would feel different if we had made a high impact trade.

I think the loss of Brunson will hurt the Mavericks at least initially. Maybe they work it out later on. He was a legit shot creator and shooter which helped create a diversion from Doncic.

My thoughts are the Suns problems last season were mostly internal although they will need to improve because teams like the Clippers are better and the Warriors will still be there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the loss of Brunson will hurt the Mavericks at least initially. Maybe they work it out later on. He was a legit shot creator and shooter which helped create a diversion from Doncic.

My thoughts are the Suns problems last season were mostly internal although they will need to improve because teams like the Clippers are better and the Warriors will still be there.
Brunson loss will be mitigated, in part, by a return to health by hardaway.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

As @Ouchie-Z-Clown pointed out Hardway mitigates the loss of Brunson AND they shored up their biggest weakness.
Also, sounds like KD played his last game in a Nets uniform. If that is the case? KD is going to make this realy ugly the closer the season gets to starting. He doesn't want to sit at home either. So the Suns might know soon if they are out or not. I also don't see the Suns waiting until the mid-season trade deadline to make moves while the rest of the West blazes on either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What platforms are you following him on? I only have FB, im not sure if signing up for social media accounts will help me keep in the loop on anything nba.

Instagram. I'm not following Jae myself, I saw that on Reddit and verified it myself. If you want a collection of relevant information then you're fine waiting on someone to post about things here. If you want news and info a little quicker then you can check out Reddit but there's a lot of bad memes and low level talk to sift through as well.

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Instagram. I'm not following Jae myself, I saw that on Reddit and verified it myself. If you want a collection of relevant information then you're fine waiting on someone to post about things here. If you want news and info a little quicker then you can check out Reddit but there's a lot of bad memes and low level talk to sift through as well.

Partly why I avoid almost all social media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Partly why I avoid almost all social media

I have accounts in Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter but don't do much socializing on them.

I use Reddit kind of as a news feed and just go where the news takes me. I try to avoid the nonsense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You couldn’t watch before without direct Tv

This took way to long to get done

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Interesting - if I could just have it from Nov-May, at $20 a pop, makes more sense than having a Tv package.

Ronin

Mendozaaaaaa
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I live in Arizona but it says I will not get the service in my area. Better check zip codes. I guess I will have to stick with DirecTV.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was trying to find out what the whole "Center Court" stuff was and found the answer...

NBA TV’s Center Court franchise is the network’s marquee night of programming, which incorporates enhanced viewing options, such as unique camera angles, next-gen analytics and social media integrations, into the originally produced telecast.

That is from www.nba.com/news/2022-23-nba-tv-regular-season-schedule

I thought I'd share since I imagine others wondered that meant as well.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
I heard on the radio we have 32 national televised games for the Suns if you count NBATV.

Sparky16

Veteran
Reaction score
Crowder will be traded. I had my doubts before but since he's removed all mention of the Suns from his social media he's been really cryptic and posted this pic yesterday with the Suns logo blurred out.

Not sure why he's upset, he's been traded more than a half dozen times in his career already. Something about this seems personal though.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, he was told Cam will be starting cuz he can actually hit 3s and jump w/o getting stupid techs

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Cam is starting at PF then I hope he's bulked up a little bit and worked on his rebounding. I think he could add 5-10 pounds of muscle to his frame without losing any positive aspects of his game. I know he's talked in the past about improving his rebounding and he did slightly last season, increasing his rebounds per game from the previous seasons 3.3 a game to 4.1 but his playing time increased also. His per 36 increase was 0.6 more rebounds a game, up to 4.8. He had an 8.5% rebound rate.

Crowder averaged 5.3 rebounds a game with a per 36 average of 6.8 and a 10.5% rebound rate.

Cam can equal Crowder's rebounding numbers, I'd hope, but he really needs to exceed them and I'm not sure if he can or will by a decent amount.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like for the Suns to have a more traditional power forward, but traditional lineups aren't necessarily needed to win a title.

A team like the Warriors can start players at forward who are 3/4 type players.

Proximo

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd like for the Suns to have a more traditional power forward, but traditional lineups aren't necessarily needed to win a title.

A team like the Warriors can start players at forward who are 3/4 type players.
Traditional power forwards are almost gone.

Even against a team like the Lakers where AD is a legit PF - he doesn't play like it, he's content to take mid range jump shots.

There is really only 2 true "Power" Forwards I worry about in todays game - Giannis and Zion.

Biz does have some ability to play those guys if necessary, but really since nobody can really stop them your best move is to shoot the 3 well and try and beat them that way.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I was trying to find out what the whole "Center Court" stuff was and found the answer...

NBA TV’s Center Court franchise is the network’s marquee night of programming, which incorporates enhanced viewing options, such as unique camera angles, next-gen analytics and social media integrations, into the originally produced telecast.

That is from www.nba.com/news/2022-23-nba-tv-regular-season-schedule

I thought I'd share since I imagine others wondered that meant as well.
Yeah, I like the Center Court broadcasts. Last year we had one that featured the refs, Zach Zarba and crew. That was against the Grizzlies where the young female ref threw out their coach. I guess she wanted her 15 minutes. ;)

angelofthesouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Ehh, couldn't this Crowder problem be over the usual issue of money? His contract ends in 2023 if not extended. I suppose the tax-paying Suns might have balked at a similar new contract. He and/or his agent probably want at least as much, and perhaps the Suns hoped to bring him back for even less. Can't expect him to like that.

Sparky16

Veteran
Reaction score
If Cam is starting at PF then I hope he's bulked up a little bit and worked on his rebounding. I think he could add 5-10 pounds of muscle to his frame without losing any positive aspects of his game. I know he's talked in the past about improving his rebounding and he did slightly last season, increasing his rebounds per game from the previous seasons 3.3 a game to 4.1 but his playing time increased also. His per 36 increase was 0.6 more rebounds a game, up to 4.8. He had an 8.5% rebound rate.

Crowder averaged 5.3 rebounds a game with a per 36 average of 6.8 and a 10.5% rebound rate.

Cam can equal Crowder's rebounding numbers, I'd hope, but he really needs to exceed them and I'm not sure if he can or will by a decent amount.
Our new MAX Center can pick up the slack on the boards and earn the $ he got. Get a rebounder for the 2nd team when Saric checks in for DA

Sparky16

Veteran
Reaction score
Ehh, couldn't this Crowder problem be over the usual issue of money? His contract ends in 2023 if not extended. I suppose the tax-paying Suns might have balked at a similar new contract. He and/or his agent probably want at least as much, and perhaps the Suns hoped to bring him back for even less. Can't expect him to like that.
Yeah if Crowder wants the same or more $ then he is nothing but a exp contract to trade. See Ya