Suns @ Nuggets Friday Playoff game thread 6-11-2021 - Game 3

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a mistake when the Lakers went away from Drummond and quit playing Harrell as much and went with Gasol mostly. Drummond and Harrell were killing us on the glass. Gasol was a liability on defense and the boards. Pretty sure the Laker coach is gone....

It might have been the right formula but for some reason Montrezl Harrell fell out of favor with the Lakers. They were infatuated with spreading the court for Lebron. With Anthony Davis out, they went with a shooter at center in Marc Gasol.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't turn a game on unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to be up to the stress and misery. But once it's on, I'm hooked, even if they get routed. I've watched about half of this year's playoff games so far. Like you, I follow the others, but it's easier to maintain a psychological distance when it's just numbers updating every so often.

I watched almost every game of the 1993 run, but had a conflict for Finals Game 6. I remember turning on ESPN when I got home and seeing 99-98 scroll quietly across the bottom of the screen.

It was 98-94 with like 30 seconds left. :(

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Of course this is preferable but I expect the Nuggets to be charged up tonight. They will try to blow the Suns out early.

Players seem to get acclimated to the altitude as the game goes on. The Suns bench may be needed early.

Tonight will tell us a lot about the rest of the series:

- If Nuggets somehow roll us, the series is definitely back on.

- If Nuggets squeeze out a close win, it's very likely the Suns could take game 4... and the series will be effectively over.

- If Suns win close one tonight, the series is effectively over.

- If Suns blow out the Nuggets tonight (which is probably not super likely, admittedly), the series is most definitely over. The remaining games are a mere formality.

So three of four outcomes favor us. You have to like those odds.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I've never been much of a drinker. Just a social drinker. Got a little more into it in my older age. Like the occasional whiskey.

But I think I've watched nearly every minute of every game going back about at least the last 20 years. I've had DirecTV and League Pass for as long as I can remember. I was born a Suns fan in Phoenix before there were any other professional sports. I usually watch a recorded broadcast so I can skip commercials. When I get frustrated, I just watch the game a lot faster like skipping FTs. For the playoffs, I've been a lot more caught up on the action time-wise so that I can interact on message boards and with family that is also watching the games.

I let out involuntary yells when great things happen. Never "Boom!" but more like "YEAH!", and "That's what I'm talking about!", or maybe the occasional "DARIO!" and I pump my fists in the air. My neighbors are probably wondering what's going on. Been a lot of good lately!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight will tell us a lot about the rest of the series:

- If Nuggets somehow roll us, the series is definitely back on.

- If Nuggets squeeze out a close win, it's very likely the Suns could take game 4... and the series will be effectively over.

- If Suns win close one tonight, the series is effectively over.

- If Suns blow out the Nuggets tonight (which is probably not super likely, admittedly), the series is most definitely over. The remaining games are a mere formality.

So three of four outcomes favor us. You have to like those odds.

It will but I'm not ready to think about it at the moment. I'm locked-in on Game 3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This one will be like game 6 against the Lakers. If the Suns come out hot in the first quarter and build a big lead, the series, not just the game is over.

They will quit.

Got a feeling Book is going to turn on the jets early.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope the Suns play tonight with the intensity of a close out game. Lets get some good rest for our guys before going forward.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 98-94 with like 30 seconds left. :(

98-94... with 50 seconds left AND the ball with a fresh shot clock after Barkley got an offensive rebound on a Majerle deep three that rattled in and out.

On the way back to the Bench after Charles called a TO, Westphaul gave Majerle and joking “choke” sign. Idiot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I let out involuntary yells when great things happen. Never "Boom!" but more like "YEAH!", and "That's what I'm talking about!", or maybe the occasional "DARIO!" and I pump my fists in the air. My neighbors are probably wondering what's going on. Been a lot of good lately!

I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm a referee. I carry on heated conversations with my fellow stripers, the darned fools seem to miss more of the calls than they catch. So far I've yet to talk them into correcting one of their decisions but that doesn't stop me from giving it full (and loud) effort.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty expects Suns to adjust early to the altitude but noted differences in the way the ball reacts.

Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin

Monty Williams expects #Suns to adjust to altitude in Denver early in Game 3, but made point the basketballs are "a bit" tighter in altitude and will bounce farther say off misses. He could see that leading to transition buckets or tracking down offensive rebounds. #NBAPlayoffs
5:39 PM · Jun 11, 2021·Twitter Web App

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also says the Suns like playing in an atmosphere like tonight. The focus is on poise.

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

Monty Williams said that his players like playing in atmospheres like what is expected to come tonight. Williams has seen this building before when it's really rocking. They've talked about poise all year and he said they'll need that again tonight.
5:33 PM · Jun 11, 2021·TweetDeck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's game will be played close to full capacity.

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

The Nuggets upped to just about full capacity for this round of the playoffs. Michael Malone said he expects them to be loud for Jokic's MVP award coming pregame but said they'll need that boost for the second half too.
5:17 PM · Jun 11, 2021·TweetDeck

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Porter Jr. shooting unencumbered.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose