Suns @ Nuggets Friday 10-25-19 game thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

The way that game felt and with how much it seemed like we controlled, to lose is really bitter.

But at the same time, if a week ago I was told we'd be 1 and 1, with a blowout win and a 1 point OT loss at Denver, I'd be thrilled... and that is without any mention of Ayton's suspension, Ty Jarome or Cam Johnson's injuries.

The team looks really really good, I can't remember the last time there were not some players whom I dreaded their entry into the game. I honestly don't think the Suns have ran this deep in competent players since either the 2010 season or some point in the 90s.

BC867 and Chaplin like this.
  2. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I can say I am lower on Oubre than most here.

He is our best worst right now. I do love his enthusiasm and hustle, but it is currently grossly outweighed by his terrible shot selection and dog crap defense in any situation besides one on one. He is honestly our worst defender right now. I know he is viewed by some as a plus defender but the stats scream that he is a huge problem on D and if you watch closely, you can see why. He is constantly gambling for steals and weak side help. Weak side help can be a good thing when the situation allows, but he does it virtually every time the opportunity presents itself and regularly leaves his own man totally undefended for an open 3 or a slash at the basket.

Oubre has talent, but his "hero ball" mentality is worse than Booker's at the moment.

3. Bufalay

Bufalay Registered User

Yes

4. SunsFanFirst

SunsFanFirst Banned

Did I say Booker was a loser? Good grief..

And great comparison because Goldie and Fitz have the ability to impact their teams W/L as much as Booker. :rolleyes: But Im glad you bring that up.

Is Goldschmidt worth a max deal? Absolutely not. The dbacks were no worse off without him.. still a fringe playoff team. Is Goldie a good player.. yes.. but he is worth a contract that hinders a team from affording what impacts a baseball teams W/L the most.. pitching.. hell no.

This will be wildly unpopular but as much as I love Fitz I would trade him (one of the best wrs to ever play) in a heartbeat to build a top notch O line. Of course he is a winner and deserves to be among the highest paid wrs. That said, there are other positions that have a greater impact on the W/L column than the wr position.

Anyway, as long as Arizona fans are impressed with “shiny toys” and pressure the teams to overpay to keep them our teams will continue to be just average at best

5. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

6. Bobster

Bobster Registered

Who were they running out there at quarterback those years?

7. TJ

TJ Bobby Sarvs

I asked the question the way I did knowing you’d make my point for me. Thank you.

Bottom line is, much like Fitz, Booker can only do so much with the people he has around him, and neither play a position in which they control the offense. The statement “he’s not a winner” is not only off base, it’s lazy.

Both are excellent talents. Both are great human beings. Both want to be in winning atmospheres, but need the right infrastructure to make that work

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

“Winner,” at the NBA level, is certainly a yet-to-be-determined tag for booker. But it looks like he might finally have enough talent to determine which way argument is proven.

BC867 likes this.
  9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I sound like fortune cookie

10. Bobster

Bobster Registered

Unlike Fitzgerald, Booker hasn't proven himself to be among the all-time elite at his position. He hasn't even really been in consideration for an All-Star spot at this point. Inefficient offence and porous defense will do that for you.

Fitzgerald has proven that he could be a centerpiece on Super Bowl team, Booker hasn't even proven that he can lead his team to the playoffs. Booker is probably at best your third player on a championship contender, that could change if he plays consistent defense and shoots a higher percentage. Until then, he's just an inefficient high-volume scorer who may or may not make his team better.

11. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical

How could you possibly know this? The only thing stopping him from being an all star the last 2 years has been a losing record and amazing guard depth in the west (if his team was winning or he was in the east he would have been an all star already). Who is to say that the coaches that vote for the reserves weren't strongly considering Booker for the all star game?

CRC83 likes this.
  12. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

I watched this game again today. I'm extremely impressed with Monty and Book in the first two games. This team is competitive and has excellent chemistry.

I think I can tell you why Book isn't himself. Because the dude is ACTUALLY trying hard on D, which is expending a ton of energy. I've been super hard on him for being a terrible Defender over the years. In the first 2 games this year he has made tremendous strides. You can tell he's locked in. I can't believe what I'm seeing out of him. He's still not great, and probably never will be, but we can win a championship if he continues this trend. I fully expect his O to pick back up once he adjusts to this level of energy exertion. Once again, I hope Monty keeps his minutes closer to 32 as he's playing both ends of the court now.

I'm super proud of this team so far. Dario has been the only disappointment, but for some reason I'm not mad. I think it's because there have been so many other pluses I'm just enjoying how far we've come. (And Dario has been working his butt off. It's not like he's pulling an Ariza. He just isn't hitting shots.)

13. CardsSunsDbacks

Exactly, he just hasn't fully had his legs under in the first couple games. It will take some time for him to get into the level of game shape that is going to be required with this much effort.

Dario just hasn't gotten his shot going, but has been a positive in just about every other way.

14. Bobster

Bobster Registered

He finished 8th, 9th, and 14th in the voting for the Western Conference backcourt the last three years. And he hasn't been mentioned as being under serious consideration for a reserver spot any of those years.

The consensus has pretty much been that while he scores a lot of his points, his defense is bad and he plays for a bad team. So they weren't going to pick him over Harden, Curry, Lillard, Westbrook or Thompson. Lets not kid ourselves.

15. CardsSunsDbacks

So you quoted the fan votes to prove me wrong? The fans only vote in the starters and the coaches vote in the reserves and you have no way of knowing what their thoughts were on him. All I know is that Booker seems to be much more highly regarded by other players and coaches than he typically is from fans. Also like I said he was competing in a stacked western conference where there are at least a couple worthy players every year that get snubbed.

Let's not kid ourselves if Booker was even playing on a poor eastern conference team the last couple years he would already have been an all-star.

AzStevenCal likes this.