Suns @ Nets 12-23- 18

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man I just can’t understand why in a game Ayton is scoring so efficiently they go away from him. I also don’t understand how he shoots ZERO free throws in a game. The former is an indictment of coaching and teammates. The latter is all Ayton (maybe a little ref)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brooklyn doesn't appear to be using Faried. I would have liked to have seen the Suns try to flip Rivers for him, he's expiring at years end so it wouldn't be much of a gamble for us. If it didn't work, buy him out, but we could have gotten a look at a hardnosed defensive and rebounding PF next to Ayton. That would have taken a lot of pressure off of him inside. I think part of the reason we haven't made a move to improve our PF though is so the Suns can sell fans on Ayton's double doubles. I'd hope he got more than 10 boards a game because there isn't an above average rebounder on the team beside him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Man I just can’t understand why in a game Ayton is scoring so efficiently they go away from him. I also don’t understand how he shoots ZERO free throws in a game. The former is an indictment of coaching and teammates. The latter is all Ayton (maybe a little ref)
He’s so smooth around the basket. He either shoots that 15 ft jumper or a little hook. I’d like to see him drop step and go for the power move every once in a while. He did that in college.

I agree though. If they’re not gonna double him he should touch the ball in the lane on every possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Bridges is going to be special when he gets a little stronger and learns the NBA tricks (for and against).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Booker is going to play pg, I think we at least need to get a two guard to play with him. Melton gets after it on D, but we need a guy who can carry some offensive load, otherwise we are asking Booker to play two positions at once.

Errntknght

Reaction score
IMO, we should make life on the offensive end as easy for Ayton as possible. Set him up in a medium post - FT line or elbow. He's very accurate from there and he's two strides from a dunk - wouldn't even need a dribble if he starts on the correct foot. Just standing there, he's a dual threat. Down in the low post he has to fight for position continuously - of course he still sets up low occasionally. Don't run him around the floor setting screens either, have the perimeter guys slash close by him to pick off their defender - with or without the ball. Again, you don't totally eliminate the normal pick and roll, just cut it down in frequency.

He's easier to feed in that position than down low and since his rolls to the rim are more consistent alley-oop passes are more consistent for the throwers. As we all know the long range alley-oops are resulting in lots of turnovers so we try to eliminate them.

Obviously it is not a perfect fir for Igor's offense but it can be employed in small amounts to see how it goes. It changes the perimeter weave he likes to use but it's not that great anyway. Basically, you're adding slashes through the middle to the other motions. I can't see how that could be bad.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Bridges is going to be special when he gets a little stronger and learns the NBA tricks (for and against).

He's caught on to the defensive end quicker than anyone could have expected. His shooting needs work, badly. If he could consistently give the team 10-15 points a night that would be big since the Suns lack consistent scoring from anyone other than Booker and Warren. I know Ayton is coming along as well but he'll be starting no matter what. Bridges on the other hand may need to fight for a starting job and his minutes beyond this season. He's definitely a keeper but if we can get a better wing then we shouldn't pass on anyone because we have Bridges.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the conversation between russel and booker at the end of the game where russel and later booker covered their mouths.

I really have a feeling he is going to be our free agent signing, and I’m not sure if I am happy about that.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
We have a guard oriented coach with a guard oriented system coaching the best Center prospect since Shaq.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the conversation between russel and booker at the end of the game where russel and later booker covered their mouths.

I really have a feeling he is going to be our free agent signing, and I’m not sure if I am happy about that.

You might be on to something. He is sort of a combo guard. It would have been interesting if the Suns had kept Rivers to see how it might work.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, we should make life on the offensive end as easy for Ayton as possible. Set him up in a medium post - FT line or elbow. He's very accurate from there and he's two strides from a dunk - wouldn't even need a dribble if he starts on the correct foot. Just standing there, he's a dual threat. Down in the low post he has to fight for position continuously - of course he still sets up low occasionally. Don't run him around the floor setting screens either, have the perimeter guys slash close by him to pick off their defender - with or without the ball. Again, you don't totally eliminate the normal pick and roll, just cut it down in frequency.

He's easier to feed in that position than down low and since his rolls to the rim are more consistent alley-oop passes are more consistent for the throwers. As we all know the long range alley-oops are resulting in lots of turnovers so we try to eliminate them.

Obviously it is not a perfect fir for Igor's offense but it can be employed in small amounts to see how it goes. It changes the perimeter weave he likes to use but it's not that great anyway. Basically, you're adding slashes through the middle to the other motions. I can't see how that could be bad.

I totally agree. Ayton seems to start too far outside. The added threat of Ayton scoring should help the other players get easier shots.

Perhaps with the present offense Igor wants to clear more space underneath the basket by starting Ayton further out. However, I think this should be rethought so Ayton is a persistent scoring threat on every play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brooklyn doesn't appear to be using Faried. I would have liked to have seen the Suns try to flip Rivers for him, he's expiring at years end so it wouldn't be much of a gamble for us. If it didn't work, buy him out, but we could have gotten a look at a hardnosed defensive and rebounding PF next to Ayton. That would have taken a lot of pressure off of him inside. I think part of the reason we haven't made a move to improve our PF though is so the Suns can sell fans on Ayton's double doubles. I'd hope he got more than 10 boards a game because there isn't an above average rebounder on the team beside him.

This is so logical. Sometimes I think the Suns do not want to improve the team much until the draft or until they can trade for a special player. Keeping the value on their first round may an underlying theme for a future trade.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I totally agree. Ayton seems to start too far outside. The added threat of Ayton scoring should help the other players get easier shots.

Perhaps with the present offense Igor wants to clear more space underneath the basket by starting Ayton further out. However, I think this should be rethought so Ayton is a persistent scoring threat on every play.

Half the work is getting to your spot before the ball is either inbounded or reaches half court. Ayton is great at a lot of things but he often doesn’t practice some basic fundamentals.

I mentioned this too when he’s defending a guard. He doesn’t give himself enough cushion and gets blown by. It really stuck out during the wizards because Beal is one of the quicker people in the league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half the work is getting to your spot before the ball is either inbounded or reaches half court. Ayton is great at a lot of things but he often doesn’t practice some basic fundamentals.

I mentioned this too when he’s defending a guard. He doesn’t give himself enough cushion and gets blown by. It really stuck out during the wizards because Beal is one of the quicker people in the league.

This could well be true. I'm not sure what the Suns have him practicing. I think a lot of his weaknesses will be resolved with experience.

It's easy to overlook what he does right since expectations are so high. I bumped into this information below.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It changes the perimeter weave he likes to use but it's not that great anyway.
The perimeter weave the Suns use seems to be be a time killer more than scoring plan.

One would think that the weave is intended to have a player in motion for a clear shot or a pass for a stuff, like the Globetrotters used to employ.

Instead it seems that it is just an exercise that leave the players in no better position to score than when they first hit the front court. I'd love to hear your opinions about it, guys.

It is why I wonder when I see a post saying that Igor will be a great coach. There is a big gap between great and inflexible and/or uninventive.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The perimeter weave the Suns use seems to be be a time killer more than scoring plan.

One would think that the weave is intended to have a player in motion for a clear shot or a pass for a stuff, like the Globetrotters used to employ.

Instead it seems that it is just an exercise that leave the players in no better position to score than when they first hit the front court. I'd love to hear your opinions about it, guys.

It is why I wonder when I see a post saying that Igor will be a great coach. There is a big gap between great and inflexible and/or uninventive.

I’m clueless on this one too. Why keep running it, I’ve only watched two games where it has worked. I’m stumped.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They run it to get switches. Nearly every team does this. The Suns may not be proficient at it at the moment, but that is the primary reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose