Suns need to be more athletic in 2021

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I get Gallinari for offense, but he does have a problem staying healthy and is not that great on defense for the money he commands. I think we need to err more on a defensive minded guy at PF.

95pro likes this.
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Of the two, I like Jerami Grant the best but he is really not what I call an inside player. He is more of a 3 point shooter and a slasher who can play defense.

3. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I would choose him because of his defense versus Gallinari's. Gallinari needs to be on a team like the Lakers, to come in off the bench and provide that scoring punch, or to play on nights when you are resting James, etc.

4. Mainstreet

I don't see where Jerami Grant brings much more to the table than Oubre if one compares the stats.

5. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Oubre is more athletic and is a better scorer. Grant has more bulk and can defend and rebound against power forwards better.

Neither is a perfect option at power forward, but Grant brings more balance to the roster.

The problem is that we really can't afford to get even less athletic overall.

6. Mainstreet

It would be more or less a lateral move if the Suns signed Grant and traded Oubre.

Although they are separate moves, Grant fills the void of losing Oubre probably better than any other free agent that is obtainable. Also Grant plays power forward although his game is very similar to Oubre.

7. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Whether his size reflects it or not, Oubre has played small ball PF the last 2 years in Phoenix and did so occasionally in Washington also. I know Grant is more of a full time PF but I don't think that should put Grant ahead of Oubre as far as fit on this team.

8. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

If this team is going to take a step forward towards the playoffs, it needs someone who is actually capable of playing the power forward spot, particularly in terms of defense and rebounding. Oubre, who is slight and weak, even for a small forward, is not the answer there. Neither is Cam. And Saric is actually better as a small 5 than a natural 4 because he has no athleticism at all.

9. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I think offense is much more important in today's game than defense but you still need a little D from that position and yes, his inability to stay healthy should put a HUGE line through his name.

10. Mainstreet

I considered the Suns wings as mostly interchangeable with Bridges, Oubre and even Cam Johnson. I've always liked Grant but unless the Suns prefer to sign him to a long term contract over Oubre, I'm content with what we have. I'd prefer to add a power forward that brings something different to the table like a Myles Turner. It's hard to see that happening though without giving up a first round pick in a trade.

I could be satisfied with the Suns drafting a power forward like Precious, keeping Saric and adding a role playing point guard like Augustin.

Carolinacacti likes this.
  11. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

While that would make for a slight improvement, it still wouldn't fill our two biggest holes - a starting power forward and a back-up to Booker.

12. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Oubre, Bridges and Ayton can handle the front court just fine.

Mainstreet and Hoop Head like this.
  13. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Oubre and Bridges have the bulk and strength of shooting guards, and Bridges is unathletic on top of that. In what universe is that capable of handling the power forward spot? It's the reason we got bullied in so many games, and why Ayton was always either in foul trouble or else playing passively allegedly in an effort to avoid foul trouble.

14. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

How many games was that? Ayton was suspended early and Oubre hurt later.

15. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Enough for us to have one of the worst records in the NBA when both played.