Suns need to be more athletic in 2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre is more athletic and is a better scorer. Grant has more bulk and can defend and rebound against power forwards better.

Neither is a perfect option at power forward, but Grant brings more balance to the roster.

The problem is that we really can't afford to get even less athletic overall.

It would be more or less a lateral move if the Suns signed Grant and traded Oubre.

Although they are separate moves, Grant fills the void of losing Oubre probably better than any other free agent that is obtainable. Also Grant plays power forward although his game is very similar to Oubre.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be more or less a lateral move if the Suns signed Grant and traded Oubre.

Although they are separate moves, Grant fills the void of losing Oubre probably better than any other free agent that is obtainable. Also Grant plays power forward although his game is very similar to Oubre.

Whether his size reflects it or not, Oubre has played small ball PF the last 2 years in Phoenix and did so occasionally in Washington also. I know Grant is more of a full time PF but I don't think that should put Grant ahead of Oubre as far as fit on this team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whether his size reflects it or not, Oubre has played small ball PF the last 2 years in Phoenix and did so occasionally in Washington also. I know Grant is more of a full time PF but I don't think that should put Grant ahead of Oubre as far as fit on this team.

If this team is going to take a step forward towards the playoffs, it needs someone who is actually capable of playing the power forward spot, particularly in terms of defense and rebounding. Oubre, who is slight and weak, even for a small forward, is not the answer there. Neither is Cam. And Saric is actually better as a small 5 than a natural 4 because he has no athleticism at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get Gallinari for offense, but he does have a problem staying healthy and is not that great on defense for the money he commands. I think we need to err more on a defensive minded guy at PF.

I think offense is much more important in today's game than defense but you still need a little D from that position and yes, his inability to stay healthy should put a HUGE line through his name.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I considered the Suns wings as mostly interchangeable with Bridges, Oubre and even Cam Johnson. I've always liked Grant but unless the Suns prefer to sign him to a long term contract over Oubre, I'm content with what we have. I'd prefer to add a power forward that brings something different to the table like a Myles Turner. It's hard to see that happening though without giving up a first round pick in a trade.

I could be satisfied with the Suns drafting a power forward like Precious, keeping Saric and adding a role playing point guard like Augustin.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I considered the Suns wings as mostly interchangeable with Bridges, Oubre and even Cam Johnson. I've always liked Grant but unless the Suns prefer to sign him to a long term contract over Oubre, I'm content with what we have. I'd prefer to add a power forward that brings something different to the table like a Myles Turner. It's hard to see that happening though without giving up a first round pick in a trade.

I could be satisfied with the Suns drafting a power forward like Precious, keeping Saric and adding a role playing point guard like Augustin.

While that would make for a slight improvement, it still wouldn't fill our two biggest holes - a starting power forward and a back-up to Booker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oubre, Bridges and Ayton can handle the front court just fine.

Oubre and Bridges have the bulk and strength of shooting guards, and Bridges is unathletic on top of that. In what universe is that capable of handling the power forward spot? It's the reason we got bullied in so many games, and why Ayton was always either in foul trouble or else playing passively allegedly in an effort to avoid foul trouble.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the two, I like Jerami Grant the best but he is really not what I call an inside player. He is more of a 3 point shooter and a slasher who can play defense.

you just described Gallinari... except he doesn’t play defense. If it’s a choice between the two (and I really Hope it’s not because it’s a poor use of cap space), I go with Grant because of youth and defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre, Bridges and Ayton can handle the front court just fine.

maybe to get an 8 seed, but long term, that front line doesn’t have the size to compete unless Ayton becomes Olajuwon-esque. And that’s a very tall order for anyone much less a guy who’s got a ton of maturing to do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre and Bridges have the bulk and strength of shooting guards, and Bridges is unathletic on top of that. In what universe is that capable of handling the power forward spot? It's the reason we got bullied in so many games, and why Ayton was always either in foul trouble or else playing passively allegedly in an effort to avoid foul trouble.

You are undeniably the master of overstatement.

Jerami Grant, for example, is a popular topic here as a possible replacement at the 3/4 spots. From Basketball Reference, Bridges is listed as 2 inches shorter than Jerami but only 1 pound lighter. Oubre is an inch shorter than Grant and only 7 pounds lighter. And Mikal is hardly "unathletic".

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You keep saying that our players need to be more athletic. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you tell me what you mean by more athletic and give me a couple of examples?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep saying that our players need to be more athletic. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you tell me what you mean by more athletic and give me a couple of examples?

Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire were a couple of very athletic players They are players that are very active, fast, quick can jump and good at sports. Being athletic is not enough though. A player has to be skilled as well.

The most athletic player on the Suns is probably Kelly Oubre.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire were a couple of very athletic players They are players that are very active, fast, quick can jump and good at sports. Being athletic is not enough though. A player has to be skilled as well.

The most athletic player on the Suns is probably Kelly Oubre.

Oubre, Ayton, Carter and Payne (and Lecque) are the only ones on the roster who don't have below average athleticism.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre, Ayton, Carter and Payne (and Lecque) are the only ones on the roster who don't have below average athleticism.

I can't believe you think Booker has below average athleticism.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't believe you think Booker has below average athleticism.

It is no secret he has below average athleticism. He is skilled and crafty as hell, but his below average athleticism is the primary reason he fell to the Suns' spot in the draft. It's also why he has trouble defending his position and can't defend point guards at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is no secret he has below average athleticism. He is skilled and crafty as hell, but his below average athleticism is the primary reason he fell to the Suns' spot in the draft. It's also why he has trouble defending his position and can't defend point guards at all.

I think you are confusing average athleticism with below average athleticism.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Book is more athletic now then when he was drafted and you can't defend a 26 footer anyway.

The problem is that there are two sides of the game/court. While Booker is an offensive god, he remains a subpar defender despite great effort, thanks to his lack of athleticism. You are making the same mistake James Jones is making if you truly believe that the game consists of outside shooting and nothing else.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem is that there are two sides of the game/court. While Booker is an offensive god, he remains a subpar defender despite great effort, thanks to his lack of athleticism. You are making the same mistake James Jones is making if you truly believe that the game consists of outside shooting and nothing else.
I think you can have one guy who tries hard, if you have four solid defenders on the reat of the crew. You can get away with two average guys if you have a couple all star defenders to back them up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't. He might have less than ideal athleticism for a superstar but he has above average athleticism for an NBA player.

above average is a stretch. I think he’s around average but his smarts and craftiness are what allow him to get... eh, who cares.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wanted to follow-up on a couple of the five players you mentioned using NBA Draft Net as a source.

Cam Payne scored a 7 in the athleticism category in their draft mock analysis.

Jevon Carter scored a 7 in the athleticism category as well.

Yet Devin Booker graded out an 8 in athleticism using the same source.

There are other categories to consider such as size, defense, strength, quickness, leaping ability, leadership, jump shot and ball handling. Athleticism can't be viewed in a vacuum.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/devin-booker/

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-payne/

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jevon-carter/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose