Suns @ Mavericks Sunday game thread 3-5-2023

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
For his (Ross) career he has a pretty good PPG that beats our dudes I think, in D. Lee, Shamet, Okogie. Besides, you can never have enough shooters. We saw that in this game.
Ross has got to be a better defender than Lee/Shammet just on size alone

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big boned.... spoken like a fat person. There were articles in the offseason on how Luca was taking his physical shape seriously.... it dont look like it. He is still out of shape for NBA standards. The refs bail him out way to much, he has taken the euroflop to the offensive side of the floor

Are you seriously calling @lorenzotexan a fat person? I mean we all have some weight to lose, but wow, that's a whole new level of insult for this forum.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you seriously calling @lorenzotexan a fat person? I mean we all have some weight to lose, but wow, that's a whole new level of insult for this forum.

Sure appears that way. I wanted to comment on him calling Luka big boned also but after that reply, there's little point because someone else decided to turn into a personal issue rather than addressing the post itself. Sure, I could still try and discuss that but he just called fat by someone else so what's the point of actually discussing it rationally? It derails discussion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand this. Luka can score in many different ways as we all have seen especially from the outside. the suns like most other teams try to get physical and shadow luka up and down the court when he has the ball. They take his space away to prevent him from passing and shooting. He should be physical and bully defenders especially with how big boned he is. That is him evolving his game in my opinion.

I think it's when Luka lowers his shoulder to gain an advantage is what upsets Suns fans. The referees seem to give an advantage to Dallas in this regard. Suns fans only want the same rules applied evenly.

Christian Wood did the same thing and got away with it yet Ayton gets called for touch fouls.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's when Luka lowers his shoulder to gain an advantage is what upsets Suns fans. The referees seem to give an advantage to Dallas in this regard. Suns fans only want the same rules applied evenly.

Christian Wood did the same thing and got away with it yet Ayton gets called for touch fouls.
Not only that but the blatant push offs. Some of those were not even subtle. I swear it seems like the more Luka cries the more the refs don't want to hear it and just gives him every call imaginable while Booker ends up on his back and nothing.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big boned.... spoken like a fat person. There were articles in the offseason on how Luca was taking his physical shape seriously.... it dont look like it. He is still out of shape for NBA standards. The refs bail him out way to much, he has taken the euroflop to the offensive side of the floor
Unprovoked. Personal attack. 1 day ban.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is the Rodney Dangerfield of this team.
This implies Shamet deserves sone kind of respect he’s not getting. Dude isn’t good at his job, can’t stay healthy and got a far contract for very little production on the court.

Rodney Dangerfield was actually good at his job and deserved respect, which is the point of the joke. Shamet hasn’t been and doesn’t.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This implies Shamet deserves sone kind of respect he’s not getting. Dude isn’t good at his job, can’t stay healthy and got a far contract for very little production on the court.

Rodney Dangerfield was actually good at his job and deserved respect, which is the point of the joke. Shamet hasn’t been and doesn’t.
I think Shamet is a decent player. I agree with you about staying healthy though.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
This national narrative about Booker talking trash (1) because his "big brother, KD" is there and (2) only after the game is in hand is ridiculous on so many levels. Not even mentioning the fact that he wasn't talking to Luka in this instance, Booker has always talked a ton of trash. I can't stand listening to these guys.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This national narrative about Booker talking trash (1) because his "big brother, KD" is there and (2) only after the game is in hand is ridiculous on so many levels. Not even mentioning the fact that he wasn't talking to Luka in this instance, Booker has always talked a ton of trash. I can't stand listening to these guys.
They were both laughing as they chirped. I am sure Book was saying something like "my new toy is better than yours."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are a number of Suns fans whose biggest issue with Booker is he talks too much trash. I'm genuinely surprised at this new narrative that he's only talking trash because either KD is here or we're winning.

Booker is far from soft spoken or humble. I like it, personally. I'd hate it if I was a fan of another team though. He did talk too much trash when we were bad though, I'll admit that but that's what made me appreciate his fire and attitude initially.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the narrative is there because Book talked so much trash during the playoffs, then looked like a total fool after we got humiliated. And as of late, the Mavs have played us very tough, where Book hasn't said much of a word and now he's jawing after a regular season game, which means nothing in the long run. Simple as that.

And I don't begrudge that opinion. Talk is cheap, especially in the regular season.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I usually am not into what these guys are saying, but this might have been the best take on a game I have ever heard from them--including the part about Luka complaining.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
me agreeing with skip is quite the rarity but here we are

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couple of things. Start watching at the 1:10 mark of this video. Notice Luka not only pushing on CP3, but also literally hitting him with his right hand, in the stomach and also trying for the groin area. If this isn't an offensive foul, there is no such thing. Paul is just trying to stand there.

Aytons tip in was offensive basket interference in my estimation.

Booker was clearly not chirping at Luka until Luka jumped in front of him and got in his face. Its all frustration on Luka's part.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the narrative is there because Book talked so much trash during the playoffs, then looked like a total fool after we got humiliated. And as of late, the Mavs have played us very tough, where Book hasn't said much of a word and now he's jawing after a regular season game, which means nothing in the long run. Simple as that.

And I don't begrudge that opinion. Talk is cheap, especially in the regular season.
I still don't get it. Are you supposed to talk trash when you're losing? No. When you're winning? Apparently not. I guess the only time you can talk trash is when the game is tied.

I get your point about talk being cheap, but Book does back it up with great play 99% of the time. Yeah, we bombed out last year, but we made the finals the year before, which is better than can be said of anything Luka has done.

Anyway, I'm not going to let it bother me...well, yes I am, but I'm going to tell myself it doesn't bother me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a special game. Like the guys said. There were four top ten players on the floor in Kyre, Luka, Book and KD. There were five first ballot hall of famers on the court (Book most likely).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
one thing's crystal clear here... these two teams do NOT like each other. That's good for the league.
I agree that it is good for the league. I don’t want to see guys fist fighting and getting suspended for dirty fouls (like Robert horry trying to hurt Steve nash and then gets rewarded with another championship) but short of that what we see with Luka and Booker is just trash talk. There is nothing wrong with that. It makes us all care more. Today mavs fans dislike Booker a little more and suns fans dislike Luka a little more.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Haha. For the record no I am not fat, not that it would matter either way if I was. But my comment was more of an attempt at a cheeky remark about Luka’s weight, given all of the talk about it. For a guy his size he is very good in open space. so most of the league try to shadow him up and down the court which makes him work harder and also makes for a lot of contact by both the offensive and defensive players.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I missed a lot of the game, but at the end I did hear H. Brown talking about the refs so I do believe that there were offensive fouls not given. I did see the play at the end where Luka missed the floater. I thought the defender was trying to draw a foul, but it could have been called an offensive foul. It would have been harsh in my opinion. And I think that was one of those situations where Booker was citing instant justice and luka got butt hurt.