Suns @ Mavericks Sunday game thread 3-5-2023

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix finishes their four game road trip at Dallas on Sunday.

Mavericks are 33-31. They beat the 76ers at home on Thursday. They will have an extra day of rest.

Suns are 35-29 after their win over the Bulls.

When: Sunday, March 5th

Television: ABC

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 11 AM Arizona Time

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton says his knee is fine and expects to play Sunday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty doesn't see anything to prevent Kevin Durant playing against the Mavericks.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a big game. I’m not expecting us to win. Not because we can’t beat Dallas but we’ve just struggled with them in staying in front of the ball and not giving up threes.

I hope we win. Book needs to show up and not let Luka get in his head. Having KD certainly helps. Should be a good one.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a big game. I’m not expecting us to win. Not because we can’t beat Dallas but we’ve just struggled with them in staying in front of the ball and not giving up threes.

I hope we win. Book needs to show up and not let Luka get in his head. Having KD certainly helps. Should be a good one.

They only don't give up 3s against us because we couldn't hit wide open looks. That what was so frustrating about game 7. For all the knocks on Monty not making adjustments (many very legit), I felt like, on offense at least, we DID adjust going into the game, we had wide open looks all over the place, they were throwing a hard double at Booker, every play, guys were moving where they needed to in order to get looks and they either bricked wildly or were too scared to shoot.

It was far more of a mental collapse than a strategic failure.

I think we're going to score plenty, Dallas' defense is trash this season, that team we lost to last year doesn't exist anymore, they've gone from 6th in defensive efficiency to 25th and the trade deadline has dropped them further.

I'm curious what our plan will be on defense. This will be the first real test for our defense with Durant in the lineup. Kyrie and, especially, Luka are not guys you can shut down, but if you make them work their ass off on offense to score, they will get frustrated... both have a habit of checking mentally out when things are not going well.

Paul still makes some really great "cagey veteran" defensive plays, but he isn't a stopper anymore, not by a long shot, putting Booker on Luka is just asking for Booker to get in foul trouble. We're going to have to be clever with our switching and hope Okogie and Craig can do some real work.

Also, if Ayton gets matched up with Wood, 1 on 1, on repeatedly the inside, we better look to him, Wood is a dog crap defender.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Go ahead Luka, try to mess with Book. And while you are preoccupied with that KD will be raining on you.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way for this team to win is to work on D and relax on offense. They really should not play with any sense of urgency on offense. Jus keep moving the ball and take good shots. The only thing that will mess this team up offensively is nerves.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every game the Suns play with Durant on the court they will have a huge Bows Eye on there back. Teams will play like its a playoff game against the Suns until the playoffs start.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They only don't give up 3s against us because we couldn't hit wide open looks. That what was so frustrating about game 7. For all the knocks on Monty not making adjustments (many very legit), I felt like, on offense at least, we DID adjust going into the game, we had wide open looks all over the place, they were throwing a hard double at Booker, every play, guys were moving where they needed to in order to get looks and they either bricked wildly or were too scared to shoot.

It was far more of a mental collapse than a strategic failure.

I think we're going to score plenty, Dallas' defense is trash this season, that team we lost to last year doesn't exist anymore, they've gone from 6th in defensive efficiency to 25th and the trade deadline has dropped them further.

I'm curious what our plan will be on defense. This will be the first real test for our defense with Durant in the lineup. Kyrie and, especially, Luka are not guys you can shut down, but if you make them work their ass off on offense to score, they will get frustrated... both have a habit of checking mentally out when things are not going well.

Paul still makes some really great "cagey veteran" defensive plays, but he isn't a stopper anymore, not by a long shot, putting Booker on Luka is just asking for Booker to get in foul trouble. We're going to have to be clever with our switching and hope Okogie and Craig can do some real work.

Also, if Ayton gets matched up with Wood, 1 on 1, on repeatedly the inside, we better look to him, Wood is a dog crap defender.
That’s fair. When the Suns won I believe it was 9 straight against the Mavs, those were with Porzingis in the fold. Then in the playoffs we struggled to contain the ball and couldn’t throw it in the ocean from the beach.

This definitely feels like a changing of the guard now that we have KD but we’ve still gotta prove we can beat the Mavs. There’s no love lost between these two teams.

Offense doesn’t need to force anything. Just play Suns basketball. But we need CP3 to be more aggressive because if I’m the Mavs, I’m making him beat me and try to contain Book/KD as much as possible.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton says his knee is fine and expects to play Sunday.

Okay that was kinda low-key hilarious when Ayton was down and Booker was trying to get him up off the court. Ayton was busy rubbing his knee/brace and didn't immediately take Booker's extended hand so Booker started rubbing Ayton's knee/brace too - but almost sarcastically. Like when a kid's over-reacting about a fall and the coach comes over and does the same thing. I instantly knew Ayton wasn't hurt because Booker instantly knew Ayton wasn't hurt - if that makes any sense

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay that was kinda low-key hilarious when Ayton was down and Booker was trying to get him up off the court. Ayton was busy rubbing his knee/brace and didn't immediately take Booker's extended hand so Booker started rubbing Ayton's knee/brace too - but almost sarcastically. Like when a kid's over-reacting about a fall and the coach comes over and does the same thing. I instantly knew Ayton wasn't hurt because Booker instantly knew Ayton wasn't hurt - if that makes any sense

Let's hope it makes sense to Ayton.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s fair. When the Suns won I believe it was 9 straight against the Mavs, those were with Porzingis in the fold. Then in the playoffs we struggled to contain the ball and couldn’t throw it in the ocean from the beach.

This definitely feels like a changing of the guard now that we have KD but we’ve still gotta prove we can beat the Mavs. There’s no love lost between these two teams.

Offense doesn’t need to force anything. Just play Suns basketball. But we need CP3 to be more aggressive because if I’m the Mavs, I’m making him beat me and try to contain Book/KD as much as possible.

so glad it’s their problem

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton didn't practice today. When he says he is fine I tend to worry.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns get Terrence Ross back for the game on Sunday.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maxi Kleber and Davis Bertains are probable for the Mavericks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A summary of the Suns injury report.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least we don't have to watch the referees twiddle their thumbs while Doncic just ramrods his way through a much lighter Mikal Bridges. Dallas is a hot/cold team. It wouldn't surprise me if we lose by 20+ and it wouldn't surprise me if we win by that much. I already didn't like the Dallas Mavericks and that Irving trade didn't help any.

I want the Phoenix Suns to win every game, but tomorrow in particular I would love to see an easy victory.

Joe