Suns @ Mavericks 1-9-18

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! He spent his entire life playing against older competition. The biggest difference, however, is that he is just flat out nasty. He doesn't care who you are, he'll score on you in a variety of ways. Hell he dunked on the entire Minnesota front court last night with the game on the line, and then drained a step-back three to seal the win. He'll hit the last second shot like it was a layup. He flat out blocked Lebron. He made a defensive play, looked at Igor and said, "He can't score on me!". He just doesn't give a crap about who he is playing against, what the on court situation is, who he is up against, etc. He just wants to beat everyone and be the best. THAT is the part that I fear Ayton will never have. He will get better, no doubt, but I don't think he will ever be a "nasty" player.

The nasty mentality is indeed a question mark with Ayton. My hope is he will become more aggressive as he develops confidence. Ayton is not a confident player right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep! He spent his entire life playing against older competition. The biggest difference, however, is that he is just flat out nasty. He doesn't care who you are, he'll score on you in a variety of ways. Hell he dunked on the entire Minnesota front court last night with the game on the line, and then drained a step-back three to seal the win. He'll hit the last second shot like it was a layup. He flat out blocked Lebron. He made a defensive play, looked at Igor and said, "He can't score on me!". He just doesn't give a crap about who he is playing against, what the on court situation is, who he is up against, etc. He just wants to beat everyone and be the best. THAT is the part that I fear Ayton will never have. He will get better, no doubt, but I don't think he will ever be a "nasty" player.
I’m not so much into the comparing Doncic to Ayton as they don’t play the same position or need the same skill sets. But “nasty” is the one component that you can compare regardless of position and 100% agree with stef on this point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone think of a player who developed "nastiness"?

Yeah, it doesn't happen often. It seems to me that Garnett became nastier but he always played with an edge so it's not quite the same thing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It increased with some. The NBA is full of examples of young players that developed confidence and effectiveness though. Most historic big men did not come into the league at 19 or 20 though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure "nastiness" is needed. I never thought of Kareem, David Robinson or Tim Duncan as being nasty players.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn’t there a coach on the Suns whose nickname is the “Big Nasty”. Corliss Williamson needs to instill some of that into Ayton, and right quick

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure "nastiness" is needed. I never thought of Kareem, David Robinson or Tim Duncan as being nasty players.

yes, "nasty" is a word i associate with players who might play dirty, like a Bill Lambier,
it's not the word or attribute i'm looking for in Ayton or any other player i root for

aggressive, hungry, passionate, dominant, and intense, are better words

Shaq, Ewing, Walton, Russel, Willis Reed, Alonzo Mourning were all those things but not nasty.
and Amare on the offensive end.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
yes, "nasty" is a word i associate with players who might play dirty, like a Bill Lambier,
it's not the word or attribute i'm looking for in Ayton or any other player i root for

Shaq, Ewing, Walton, Russel, Willis Reed were all those things but not nasty.

Well we can call it whatever word or words we choose, but the point remains the same.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shaq, Ewing, Walton, Russel, Willis Reed, Alonzo Mourning were all those things but not nasty.

I mostly agree.

Shaq led with some nasty elbows although he did not intentionally use them to hurt anyone.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Regardless of nasty or nice, I think he can gain confidence and aggressiveness with more experience, so I am positive like really positive. Go Ayton, my man.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
He just wants to beat everyone and be the best. THAT is the part that I fear Ayton will never have. He will get better, no doubt, but I don't think he will ever be a "nasty" player.

Not many players in the league have that mentality so I wouldn't worry about Ayton specifically. Ayton is big and gifted. He's probably not had too much competition before now. Let's wait at least one more season before we write off the kid for good, shall we? (not saying you specifically is writing him off, SirStefan, just that there are a lot of doom and gloom opinions going around)

Must admit Doncic is way better than I dreamed he would be. Shoot me, but I think Doncic and Booker could work.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not many players in the league have that mentality so I wouldn't worry about Ayton specifically. Ayton is big and gifted. He's probably not had too much competition before now. Let's wait at least one more season before we write off the kid for good, shall we? (not saying you specifically is writing him off, SirStefan, just that there are a lot of doom and gloom opinions going around)

Must admit Doncic is way better than I dreamed he would be. Shoot me, but I think Doncic and Booker could work.
Doncic and Ayton could work too. May work even better actually.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson