Suns @ Magic Wednesday game thread 12-4-19

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And still Jerome had 5 points, 7 assists, 2 steals (although he did have 5 turnovers) in the game last night and it's only his second NBA game.

Jerome's athletic limitations were well documented in scouting reports before the draft and yet he was still projected to be a later first round pick. I don't recall anyone saying he would be a starter in the NBA. I guess I'm surprised by the timing of your criticism.

He was projected to be a backup point guard.

You compare him to Kaminsky in regard to athletic ability yet Frank is an NBA player and lead the Suns in scoring last night.

I’m low on Jerome but I liked his handle and thought he saw the floor well. He was trying to be too unselfish and trying some low % flick type passes that the defense anticipated.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m low on Jerome but I liked his handle and thought he saw the floor well. He was trying to be too unselfish and trying some low % flick type passes that the defense anticipated.

What worried me about him is that when someone put pressure on him up close he seemed to have trouble dribbling the ball. His ball handling got sloppy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm hopeful Jerome's basketball IQ, shooting and passing will outweigh his lack of athleticism. We will find out soon enough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hopeful Jerome's basketball IQ, shooting and passing will outweigh his lack of athleticism. We will find out soon enough.

I like everything about him except his lack of foot speed, his inability to elevate and his short arms. He's a very smart player but I just don't know how much of his physical weaknesses he can overcome

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how do you evaluate Ayton's potential skills in that regard?

Potentially Baynes? Potentially Kaminsky? Somewhere in between?
Defending best on the perimeter with a skilled Power Forward defending in the post?

I think Ayton can get to Baynes level of intimidation and be a very effective deterrent but I don't see him as a leader. He could be a good defender in time but I don't expect him to step up and call out switches, schemes, and lead on the defensive end. They'll need to add a veteran who can lead some on that end of the floor if they hope to contend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man when I watched him they were just run of the mill ordinary passes he was getting stolen.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
And still Jerome had 5 points, 7 assists, 2 steals (although he did have 5 turnovers) in the game last night and it's only his second NBA game.

Jerome's athletic limitations were well documented in scouting reports before the draft and yet he was still projected to be a later first round pick. I don't recall anyone saying he would be a starter in the NBA. I guess I'm surprised by the timing of your criticism.

He was projected to be a backup point guard.

You compare him to Kaminsky in regard to athletic ability yet Frank is an NBA player and lead the Suns in scoring last night.

But Frank is 7-1 and has a feathery touch. (I'm notably not a big fan of Frank, but I've grown to respect him a ton more for his resilience playing out of position). At 6-5, no vertical, and short arms he's going to have a lot more trouble getting the ball over NBA players.

True, he's projected as a back up. I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. But I seriously question his ability to hang with 4th string NBA players, let alone back ups. I'm regretfully questioning if he's even a G League guy. I watched every minute he played in the G League and I was troubled then. The timing of the criticism is fair since now we're looking at him side by side with NBA backups. It does not look good. I'm pretty sure players are going to start picking him up full court and constantly picking his pocket (even while he's doing his best Mark Jackson impression).

I'm fine with Monty giving him a fair look, but Ellie played so incredibly well in his short stint that it's coming at a slight cost. Ellie deserves to get some more PT than the draft pick. (I can't believe I just said that).

BTW, I'm not for an instant questioning this kid's heart. He's proven people wrong his entire life. I HOPE he proves me wrong. I like underdog guys. But this one looks like a LONG shot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with Monty giving him a fair look, but Ellie played so incredibly well in his short stint that it's coming at a slight cost. Ellie deserves to get some more PT than the draft pick. (I can't believe I just said that).

Okobo has been a pleasant surprise this year. I'm pretty sure that most people thought he would be waived or traded before the regular season started but he's hung on to his spot and has looked like a legit NBA player 90% of the time he's been on the court. He still has a ways to go but he looks like a legit backup right now, which is impressive compared to how lost he appeared last season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Frank is 7-1 and has a feathery touch. (I'm notably not a big fan of Frank, but I've grown to respect him a ton more for his resilience playing out of position). At 6-5, no vertical, and short arms he's going to have a lot more trouble getting the ball over NBA players.

True, he's projected as a back up. I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. But I seriously question his ability to hang with 4th string NBA players, let alone back ups. I'm regretfully questioning if he's even a G League guy. I watched every minute he played in the G League and I was troubled then. The timing of the criticism is fair since now we're looking at him side by side with NBA backups. It does not look good. I'm pretty sure players are going to start picking him up full court and constantly picking his pocket (even while he's doing his best Mark Jackson impression).

BTW, I'm not for an instant questioning this kid's heart. He's proven people wrong his entire life. I HOPE he proves me wrong. I like underdog guys. But this one looks like a LONG shot.

It will play itself out on the court.

Interestingly enough Jerome did not turn it over when Jrue Holiday guarded him. I thought a turnover would be forthcoming in this situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose