Suns @ Magic Wednesday game thread 12-4-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We often play a step slow on the trail end of a back to back, maybe we're just trying to get ahead of the game.

Too bad it's only the first game of the back-to-back.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Weird lineup again

Jerome
Carter
Cam
Bridges
Diallo

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like what Monty is doing, to a large degree- starters (minus Frank) obviously didn't want to play, so he is sitting them in the fourth and going with the guys that want to play.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Orlando Magic are like a team full of guys in witness protection. I'm going to chaulk this terrible performance on lacking live game tape on these guys. Oh well on to tomorrow.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are small, can't shoot or play defense. So frustrating to watch.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hope that Ayton will take his return in stride.

There is a real possibility that he will try to do to too much
and face what Booker is going through, in terms of both
double-teaming and expectations of instant turnaround.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well, Bridges played well two games in a row now, and he may have found his shot. Frank played well and Diallo played well again. Cam shot the ball well. That's about all the positives I can find in this game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this team's greatest strengths are Booker and our center tandem so it's not much of a surprise that we are struggling regularly now while missing both of our bigs. And it's clear that other teams are aware of our shortcomings too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that this Magic team is without one of their best players and only average 102 ppg...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basketball Reference has Cam Johnson listed as a power forward???

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this team's greatest strengths are Booker and our center tandem so it's not much of a surprise that we are struggling regularly now while missing both of our bigs. And it's clear that other teams are aware of our shortcomings too.

I guess I don't want to give the Suns a ready alibi. They are at least one big man short.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Magic 128 - Suns 114

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't want to give the Suns a ready alibi. They are at least one big man short.

We have a built in alibi IMO. We had an absolute bottom of the barrel roster that was overdone in one season. I think it's far too much to expect that anyone could take that roster and turn it into a complete and competitive group. We've made huge strides but it's just to get us back with the pack. We have a pretty good all around roster but nothing special. Take away two-thirds of the strengths of any team and you usually have problems.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that this Magic team is without one of their best players and only average 102 ppg...

True but I don't think it would have mattered too much if V was there. IMO, at full strength (both teams), this game still probably goes their way. We just are too flatfooted at the PF position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let’s face it, we suck. At present the suns aren’t even average. The current run of W-L says it all.

and man Jerome didn’t look like an nba player at all tonight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a built in alibi IMO. We had an absolute bottom of the barrel roster that was overdone in one season. I think it's far too much to expect that anyone could take that roster and turn it into a complete and competitive group. We've made huge strides but it's just to get us back with the pack. We have a pretty good all around roster but nothing special. Take away two-thirds of the strengths of any team and you usually have problems.

If the Suns were playing defense like early in the season the losses would be more forgivable. I'm not seeing the effort on defense.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Besides Booker and Ayton, Oubre and Rubio were supposed to be the strengths. We're not getting enough consistency from Oubre especially.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s face it, we suck. At present the suns aren’t even average. The current run of W-L says it all.

and man Jerome didn’t look like an nba player at all tonight.

This is only Jerome's second game. He is still learning what he can and can't do.

A lot of it has to do with the speed of the players closing passing lanes and learning what he can do inside.

Jerome is not going to be able to shoot it over Bamba which other Suns players need to learn as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides Booker and Ayton, Oubre and Rubio were supposed to be the strengths. We're not getting enough consistency from Oubre especially.

I think you have to live with Oubre and his huge swings. All told he is a plus player but I wouldn't really consider him a strength. As for Rubio, he's a huge step up for us but he's a very mediocre ballplayer all things considered. Especially when a big part of his offensive game is missing, the pick and roll with the big.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose