Suns @ Lakers Tuesday game thread 3-2-2021

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anyone who has competed knows that, to do your best, you have to be emotionally invested in the outcome. So if you are emotionally invested, that means you're going to have an emotional reaction when something doesn't go your way. It's not "okay" to bark at the officials, but that's what technical fouls are for.

Ejections are rare and are supposed to be reserved for really egregious violations of sportsmanship. To me, calling an official a "bitch" after a bad call does not rise to that level.

If a work superior criticizes something you've done, you can usually count on the decision having been made thoughtfully, and if it's going to impact your career, you'll get some sort of opportunity to respond. So it's really not an equivalent situation. In the NBA, officials make tons of mistakes, partly because they have to make their decisions instantly and without complete information. The players involved are going to be the first ones to know when a call is wrong, it's going to make them angry, and knowing that they have no opportunity to appeal makes them angrier. Of course it doesn't help to lash out, but it's an understandable reaction. Considering all of the transgressions that happen regularly on an NBA court and don't attract attention, I fail to understand how this particular incident rose to the level of being ejection-worthy.
Mitchell was just tossed with back to back techs within 30 seconds of each other last night at the end of a tight game. As I said in the game thread, it happens.

look, in all my years playing youth sports, high school and collegiate sports, intramural sports, and adult rec sports I’ve argued with and complained to refs. I’m no shrinking violet. But I never disparaged them. It’s just unnecessary in making your point. And it’s not like I’m angel, I’ve been in my share of scraps and I’ve cussed out people in anger . . . but never felt the need to do so with a ref or ump or official.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitchell was just tossed with back to back techs within 30 seconds of each other last night at the end of a tight game. As I said in the game thread, it happens.

look, in all my years playing youth sports, high school and collegiate sports, intramural sports, and adult rec sports I’ve argued with and complained to refs. I’m no shrinking violet. But I never disparaged them. It’s just unnecessary in making your point. And it’s not like I’m angel, I’ve been in my share of scraps and I’ve cussed out people in anger . . . but never felt the need to do so with a ref or ump or official.
In all the years I played when I was younger I didn’t do it either. I guess I was nt emotionally enough invested.

i agree with you about this. But they need to call it consistently if they are decide they do not want to tolerate it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think complaining to the referees has become an art.

One can say a lot to them using the right language. Referees do not want to feel belittled. It often starts with how one approaches them.

Another thing, players need to be aware of what has transpired before. Sometimes they have been primed to take action by the behavior of other players.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’ve stated my thoughts on technicals and I truly think they actually can be a net positive when considering them as collateral damage of elite intensity, but Monty should show Booker the Draymond behavior in 2016 that led to his suspension and ultimate loss in the Finals.

The whole team should be shown the Horry elbow fallout against SA in 2007.

Discipline is a habit. Focus, too. Need to maintain it to mitigate risk of disaster.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is also a difference between saying "that's not a foul, bitch" while bouncing the ball [firmly] back to a ref (not the ref making the first call - so voicing frustration), and going to the ref and saying that in his face. I think if the (second T) ref could do it again he would have had a little more restraint, as it was all in the same sequence. Hopefully everyone learns and adjusts.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Working the refs is a skill, too.

it’s not just being angry and deriding them; it’s more like subtle subconscious persuasion

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is also a difference between saying "that's not a foul, bitch" while bouncing the ball [firmly] back to a ref (not the ref making the first call - so voicing frustration), and going to the ref and saying that in his face. I think if the (second T) ref could do it again he would have had a little more restraint, as it was all in the same sequence. Hopefully everyone learns and adjusts.
What makes you think he would have more restraint? Was that indicated somewhere and I missed it?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What seems odd to me is the first tech for “constant complaining about fouls”. Isn’t that what every star does constantly? LeBron, Harden. Tim Duncan never committed a fools in his life.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I had to ref soccer. I have threatened to give both sides, players and coaches, all yellow cards before a game starts. I admit as a ref, I wouldn't hesitate to T someone up. However, I feel it's unfair to double T someone without warning both sides before the game that I don't mess around and I will double T a person. Usually I will ask them do they want that second foul or red card, to give them a chance to back down. They make the choice. I don't!

I wasn't reffing the game, but my son's team played a catholic school and almost half the team was red carded by the half for cussing!! LMAO! Numerically they had to play with 9 players the second half! That's how many kids got red carded!!