Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 5-27-2021 - Game 3

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Paul's just playing to the cameras for the Lakers. We got this. Best road team in the league coming for that Laker ass.[/QUOT

I wondered the same thing....or rather I'm hoping that's the case.

If his arm is really that bad the suns are toast.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
its asking a lot for everything else to hold steady. That means Payne scores 19 per, Ayton keeps playing at a 21/13 clip.

its got to be Bridges and Jae getting hot.

while shooting 88%.

I don't see how the suns win if Paul is out for the series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while shooting 88%.

I don't see how the suns win if Paul is out for the series.

yeah. We can try to talk ourselves into the Suns somehow pulling out a win, but it would be a miracle if we did and we all know it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You simply can't believe anything out of the Suns org on Paul's injury. They are not going to tip their hat to the Lakers. If there was ever going to be some wins by committee it has to start now. Multiple players are going to have to step up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns stayed with Chris Paul too long in game 2 which was winnable.

This is why and this video was before the game in warmups. Monty has to trust the other guards if Chris Paul is not ready to go.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Oh man, after seeing that it was nothing short of malpractice for monty to play him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case, but our weak link in this series (aside from the freak CP injury) may prove to be coaching. As a long time Suns fan, I have seen it far too many times that Suns coaches, from MacLeod all the way through Westphal and D'Antoni, hampered us in the post-season with a refusal to make adjustments to unexpected circumstances or just the changes of style that come with playoff basketball.

I would hate to see Monty repeat that Suns tradition, whatever else happens.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, I’m the only one that saw on the TNT broadcast that Paul couldn’t get his warm up jersey off before tip off without help from a teammate? That’s when I knew we were in trouble. I’m just hoping the Suns make the right decision tonight. Of course I’ll be cheering hard no matter what direction we go.

Go Suns!!!
Same. I saw that and thought, oh we’re fudged.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The counter to the Lakers going big should be running them off the floor. Without Paul that should be the plan anyways. Play small and play fast.
This is a good point. It’s tough to change your spots at this late stage, but the truth is that when the bench used to come in the pace would quicken away from Paul’s deliberate pace. If he’s starting it would make sense to get everyone ready to crank it up. Everyone else on this team is capable of playing uptempo. Even Ayton if someone lights a fire under his arse.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Craig is an amazing rebounder. He’s also good off the ball, making the right moves to get himself open. This off the ball movement could help when Booker gets doubled. Just his athleticism and quickness could be an upgrade over Saric.

but he’d actually have to make it on the court to make a difference
Yup. Time to see how monty counters. Cant do the same thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Lakers are determined to play big. We could use all the rebounding we can muster. If Ayton has another good rebounding game and Craig or someone else steps up to gobble up the rest? That would be HUGE in a series where we are shorthanded.
Needs to be real gang rebounding.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If this is the plan they really dropped the ball.
Agreed. He can either be effective or not. The minutes played are immaterial. I’m starting to worry about monty.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How in the hell is he so confident the way the Lakers have been playing?

Even if they beat the Suns they are not going to win the west.
He is covering up for his Clippers debacle. Trying to say it was right to duck the Lakers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems way too old-school of a mindset given the situation. I don’t think Monty is telling a future HOF/best player he can’t play.

This ^

If Paul can walk, he'll play and I think he'll fight to play. I say start him and then sit him until the 4th if he's not capable of playing his normal game. He doesn't need to be 100% to be effective but he has to be closer to that than he was in game 2

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It seems way too old-school of a mindset given the situation. I don’t think Monty is telling a future HOF/best player he can’t play.
Well then he’s not the player coach he’s cracked up to be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, if Paul is that limited, I really don’t get starting him and likely putting us in a hole.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this is the plan they really dropped the ball.

I'd like to see more of Cam Payne and E'Twaun Moore.

Moore hit a clutch shot in the season finale to beat the Spurs.

I have to trust the Suns know what they are doing if they play Chris Paul.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s been in a funk for over a month. If Monty waits any longer we won’t have any games left to play.

Maybe there is something we don't know?

We agree though, I'm ready for Torrey Craig and Frank Kaminsky.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe there is something we don't know?

We agree though, I'm ready for Torrey Craig and Frank Kaminsky.

Don't bet on it.

He is going to keep going with Dario, even if all the fans think that is the wrong move.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, after seeing that it was nothing short of malpractice for monty to play him.

The only thing I can figure is Chris Paul really wants to play and the medical staff is good with it.

Perhaps it's an injury that gets better with use if there is such a thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't bet on it.

He is going to keep going with Dario, even if all the fans think that is the wrong move.

Playing the devils advocate, Monty and James Jones have been right all season.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
its asking a lot for everything else to hold steady. That means Payne scores 19 per, Ayton keeps playing at a 21/13 clip.

its got to be Bridges and Jae getting hot.

Payne scoring 19ppg seems sustainable if he’s playing 35+ mpg. He has averaged 17ppg for the Suns per36. Ayton is not relying on turnarounds and jumpers to get his 21/13. I think it is reasonable to conclude he will continue to make dunks. Especially given that Payne has shown he is adept at getting him the ball in his spots against LA.

I do think that Ayton scoring easily is a feature not a bug of LA’s no threes defense, and if Ayton’s numbers were to drop I would expect our three point shooting numbers to spike. Hopefully we can make them!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson