Suns @ Knicks Thursday game thread 1-16-20

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He has physical limitations that keep him from being able to defend better than he is right now.
A key part of defending is stamina. As long as Book doesn't have to cover both backcourt
positions simultaneously, he still might continue improving on defense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A key part of defending is stamina. As long as Book doesn't have to cover both backcourt
positions simultaneously, he still might continue improving on defense.

That still won't give Booker the lateral quickness and foot speed he needs to be a better defender, or the longer arms to make up for it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has physical limitations that keep him from being able to defend better than he is right now.

Again according to who? People said last year Booker might never ever get better on defense. Again, we don't need him to be a lock down defender. If he is average or slightly above average with the way he is putting up numbers in every category Booker is more than doing his part.

To say a 24 year old can't get better is ludicrous.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Again according to who? People said last year Booker might never ever get better on defense. Again, we don't need him to be a lock down defender. If he is average or slightly above average with the way he is putting up numbers in every category Booker is more than doing his part.

To say a 24 year old can't get better is ludicrous.

I agree he is doing his part, and he can and will get better...on offense. And thanks to his craftiness and creativity, his offense is so spectacular that it makes up for his defensive deficiencies. Kind of reminds me of a shooting guard version of Steve Nash.

But you can't teach or develop lateral quickness, foot speed and arm length when it just isn't there physically. Booker might be able to improve as a team defender the way Nash did, but he will always be vulnerable to dribble penetration and side-step moves (as he was with Marcus Smart tonight) defending one on one.

That among other reasons is why we need a strong help defender at power forward.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree he is doing his part, and he can and will get better...on offense. And thanks to his craftiness and creativity, his offense is so spectacular that it makes up for his defensive deficiencies. Kind of reminds me of a shooting guard version of Steve Nash.

But you can't teach or develop lateral quickness, foot speed and arm length when it just isn't there physically. Booker might be able to improve as a team defender the way Nash did, but he will always be vulnerable to dribble penetration and side-step moves (as he was with Marcus Smart tonight) defending one on one.

That among other reasons is why we need a strong help defender at power forward.

Booker is already better than Nash. They would often double Steve’s guy, put someone else on his guy or play a ton of zone. I rarely see anybody need to double Booker’s guy.

I could understand your point if we have not seen him improve. However, you don’t sell your stock when it’s still trending up.

It’s just silty to come to that conclusion on a 24 year improved from the previous season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Book is an all-star this year. He is playing at near superstar level. He is scoring 26.5 on 50% shooting. He is now above average on D. It would be stupid—idiotic—to trade him.
The only reason to consider trading Book is if they know he'll want out unless
the Suns fill the weak positions behind him, Ayton, Oubre, Rubio and Bridges.

And, eventually, Rubio, but for the time being, he is the distributor we need.

Obviously, it is not all going to happen in one shot. But I'm sure that Devin is
looking for steady progress in personnel improvements, as we all are.

So far, it is lacking. The rest of the team is pathetic.

Which is why, against strong teams, we lose leads late in games. And even
lose or almost lost it against weaker teams. Because the starters have to
be brought back in too early in the 4th quarter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only reason to consider trading Book is if they know he'll want out unless
the Suns fill the weak positions behind him, Ayton, Oubre, Rubio and Bridges.

And, eventually, Rubio, but for the time being, he is the distributor we need.

Obviously, it is not all going to happen in one shot. But I'm sure that Devin is
looking for steady progress in personnel improvements, as we all are.

So far, it is lacking. The rest of the team is pathetic.

Which is why, against strong teams, we lose leads late in games. And even
lose or almost lost it against weaker teams. Because the starters have to
be brought back in too early in the 4th quarter.
Hmm. Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, Rubio— none of those are pathetic.

Saric, Kaminsky, Baynes and Cam are all decent role players.

pathetic? Overstatement maybe?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hmm. Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, Rubio— none of those are pathetic.
What in the world are you talking about?

I said, "The only reason to consider trading Book is if they know he'll want out unless
the Suns fill the weak positions behind him, Ayton, Oubre, Rubio and Bridges."

And then, "The rest of the team is pathetic." The rest of the team behind him (Booker),
Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio."

I don't post to win debates. I post to share opinions. Please don't twist mine.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What in the world are you talking about?

I said, "The only reason to consider trading Book is if they know he'll want out unless
the Suns fill the weak positions behind him, Ayton, Oubre, Rubio and Bridges."

And then, "The rest of the team is pathetic." The rest of the team behind him (Booker),
Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio."

I don't post to win debates. I post to share opinions. Please don't twist mine.
Sorry BC. I took the whole post to be about Booker and the quote "the rest of the team is pathetic" was two paragraphs removed. Not trying to twist. Duly noted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave