Suns @ Kings Tuesday game thread 11-19-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaminsky and small ball including Okobo has gotten the Suns close.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Kings 120 - Suns 116

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns small forwards with Bridges 20, Oubre 20 and Cam with 18 points.

Booker ended with 30.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a layup drill. Someone stopped it with the threat of blocking the shot. He was not a part of the problem
I agree. He is what he is.. a shot blocker. Thats all. His game overall is trash.. imo

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Then it was just when I started watching that he appeared like the worst player I’ve ever seen lacing up high tops.

He ran out of gas and he is insanely awkward on offense but he did something that no one wants to do on this team and play interior defense.

Hes one of those guys that you play for like 5 mins a game to give hustle and commit 6 fouls. Have someone intimidating in the interior

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
One of my all-time favorites. What harmony!

Especially this version with two voices and a guitar
and no heavy drum beat of the original single.

Their version at the Concert In Central Park was
awesome, too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He ran out of gas and he is insanely awkward on offense but he did something that no one wants to do on this team and play interior defense.

Hes one of those guys that you play for like 5 mins a game to give hustle and commit 6 fouls. Have someone intimidating in the interior
This was all I saw. Repeatedly.

if he was a defensive presence I missed it and I’ll give credit where it’s due.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Still, we lost the game by only four points, with our Center suspended,
his replacement out and our Point Guard returning at half strength.
And a weak Power Forward and backup Center/Power Forward.

We won the 3rd quarter by 5 points and the 4th quarter by 8.

Was that us? Or was it the Kings letting down?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still, we lost the game by only four points, with our Center suspended,
his replacement out and our Point Guard returning at half strength.
And a weak Power Forward and backup Center/Power Forward.

We won the 3rd quarter by 5 points and the 4th quarter by 8.

Was that us? Or was it the Kings letting down?

the kings were without their star PG and Ayton-like up and coming PF.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Rubio wasn’t good enough to go vs Boston what good is he 24hrs later after travel?

(yes fans acting as doctors is one of my pet peeves but I stand by it)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess. Honestly I’m worried.

Then you bought into the early wins too much.

I think this is closer to who the Suns are. Not that they'll get blown out like the first half that often but the scouting report is out now, they're not invincible. They've been a losing streak from being 500 all season. By losing streak I mean 2-3 games, not a lot. That's not terrible considering where they were the last few years. It's not where most want us but until we get Ayton back, I think that's the best we can hope for. Anything better than that puts them in great position for when he does return and they can go inside out or outside in.

With the injuries they're dealing with, I'm surprised they're as competitive as they've been. They fought back tonight and that's good to see. They don't roll over and die anymore, which is a huge improvement.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think it's important to remember where the Suns were last season. They had no point guard, no power forward, and no NBA players outside of Booker and the two rookies. Then they added TJ and Oubre, but the injuries hit them. Then they got their actual point guard, along with two actual NBA PFs. While that's a lot better and deeper than last year, they are still not a very deep team. They have enough depth if everyone is available, but when you have three people out, you can really see the holes in their roster. They still don't really have a backup point guard, they still have two streaky average PFs, and no third Center.

They are on the right track, but they still have some holes to fill on their roster. I think Jones did a great job last summer, but we need to be realistic and realize that they are not going to have enough depth to be good without three of their best five players. Now it's just hoping Rubio and Baynes can be back as soon as possible, and hope to stay 50-50 until Ayton returns, while also hoping that Cam continues to play well and Bridges snaps out of his little funk. They really need to look for serviceable third (or second) point guard and center.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The radio broadcast talked about how this was the first game of the year that the Suns played a team twice. They looked different during the last game against the Kings because they had Ayton but the Kings had Fox and Bagley then as well. You start learning a lot about a team by seeing them play the same opponent a second or third time because tape is out, they've seen each other up close, and they know the adjustments that need to be made.

Without Baynes and Rubio playing hurt, they needed more from everyone else but they couldn't buy a bucket in that first half. I don't know what the cause of that was, that's what sucks about listening rather than watching is you can't see body language but I wonder if they took this game for granted. Thinking that it would be a win for them since they trounced the Kings in game 1. I know they had Ayton then but they didn't really need him for that win and with the Kings missing Fox and Bagley, you could say that Ayton not being there is neutralized some.

I'll give the Suns a lot of credit for battling back in the 2nd half. It would have been great if they could have pulled it out but it's not the end of the world, or season. That fight is what they need to focus on going into the next game. Start out like you're down 20 and fight the whole 48 minutes.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good to see us fight back instead of give up, but man... that first half was terrible. The hustle was lacking, the energy was gone, our defense was a mess. I don't know if Rubio's back flared up during the game or not, but once it was clear how little he was able to move around the court they should have sat him.

But I did like the fight we showed, if that rally had started a minute or 2 sooner I think we win the game. And good for Diallo to finally look like an NBA player, because I agree with Ouchie, up until that 4th quarter he hadn't just looked bad, he looked like he was more likely to dribble the ball off his knees as he was to throw a pass within 5 feet of a teammate.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that the G-League season has started, James Jones needs to be scouting all of the games he can and find a PF/C that is worth taking a shot on with our other Two-Way contract. I'm not sure if there is a roster exception available because Ayton is suspended either, in case we wanted to sign a veteran, but a Two-Way signing is probably for the best now and later if someone is out there that can play 5-10 minutes a night at Center. They don't need to do all that much, just try to block some shots, and commit 6 fouls. I would think there has to be a PF/C in the G-League that offers as much as Diallo does. That would help keep Baynes' minutes down as well as keeping Monty from having to use Kaminsky as a Center because he's an oversized PF that should not play Center unless we have a huge lead.

Two or three weeks ago I might have said we could trade or waive Okobo but he's actually looked good in the little playing time he's received. I like how Monty uses him as a SG instead of a PG. The Barbosa comparisons seem to fit better now that he's not trying to initiate offense for others as much. I'll have to find some highlights from tonight's game but it sounded like he was a big part of the comeback for the Suns. He led the team in plus/minus and had 5 assists also. Maybe he did look like a PG tonight.

I'm a little surprised that Carter didn't play at all. He was one of the big surprises to start the season but he's been struggling. I still prefer him to Melton. Even though his shot isn't falling right now, he's hit them and teams will guard him because he has made them in the past. Any time Melton shot outside of the paint last year was a wasted possession.

You must be registered for see images attach

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Good to see us fight back instead of give up, but man... that first half was terrible. The hustle was lacking, the energy was gone, our defense was a mess. I don't know if Rubio's back flared up during the game or not, but once it was clear how little he was able to move around the court they should have sat him.

But I did like the fight we showed, if that rally had started a minute or 2 sooner I think we win the game. And good for Diallo to finally look like an NBA player, because I agree with Ouchie, up until that 4th quarter he hadn't just looked bad, he looked like he was more likely to dribble the ball off his knees as he was to throw a pass within 5 feet of a teammate.
The Suns seem to thrive off of a physical presence at Center (Baynes). There was ZERO presence in the paint until Diallo showed up. He's wretched on Offense, but on D you could see the team build off of him (Which is when we had that huge run.)

And I'm not gonna harp on Kaminsky playing Center tonight. He's battling through a hip/back(?) injury and playing out of position, so I give him credit for fighting through it. He just is a zero in the paint on D... which we desperately need.

Once again, this is where Ayton hurt us.

On a side note, something is really starting to irritate me. I know we want to increase ball movement, which I'm all for, but I'm seeing too often a 3 point shooter pass up an open shot by sheepishly passing it to a guy that is covered. I saw it first with Carter, and now it's spread to Frank, Dario, and Bridges. I'm not sure why they are afraid to shoot, but they need to get over it quick. A few times we passed on open shots for a far inferior shot with the shot clock expiring. Driving me nuts. Just shoot the dang ball.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We still aren’t “there” yet... but did anyone actually believe we were?
We still have a ways to go in terms of talent and depth. But I see signs of hope and so, after the train wreck of the past 5 years, I’m good...

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, we have ways to go. But with Baynes and Ayton out we don’t look so great. Obviously we need a big man down low for this team to be effective.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On a side note, something is really starting to irritate me. I know we want to increase ball movement, which I'm all for, but I'm seeing too often a 3 point shooter pass up an open shot by sheepishly passing it to a guy that is covered. I saw it first with Carter, and now it's spread to Frank, Dario, and Bridges. I'm not sure why they are afraid to shoot, but they need to get over it quick. A few times we passed on open shots for a far inferior shot with the shot clock expiring. Driving me nuts. Just shoot the dang ball.

This what i've notice and been commenting on, you're open so shoot it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave