Suns @ Kings Tuesday game thread 11-19-19

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thoughts:

kinda shocked carter wasn’t in the rotation with Rubio hurting.

though the assists and +\- look good for okobo watching him, I got the feeling he doesn’t do much. Dribbles meaninglessly. By that I mean, doesn’t prove the defense, doesn’t threaten the defense. Doesn’t move the defense to open up shots for others. Just kinda dribbles around. And he has zero ability to bother a shot in the post. Yes he’s small compared to those he gets switched onto, but so is a Cory Joseph who fights the bigs and doesn’t allow it to become an automatic score.

Man booker makes some terrible turnovers. And he did so down the stretch when we were battling back. Take the bad with the good I guess.

I get frustrated in the moment with this team during games. But upon reflection the next day I realize we were teased a little by the start of the season. We weren’t really that good. And in comparison to last season we are light years better. On a macro level I still expected to finish around, or just below, .500 for the season and that’s still a tremendous improvement for this team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thoughts:

though the assists and +\- look good for okobo watching him, I got the feeling he doesn’t do much. Dribbles meaninglessly. By that I mean, doesn’t prove the defense, doesn’t threaten the defense. Doesn’t move the defense to open up shots for others. Just kinda dribbles around. And he has zero ability to bother a shot in the post. Yes he’s small compared to those he gets switched onto, but so is a Cory Joseph who fights the bigs and doesn’t allow it to become an automatic score.

Man booker makes some terrible turnovers. And he did so down the stretch when we were battling back. Take the bad with the good I guess.

I get frustrated in the moment with this team during games. But upon reflection the next day I realize we were teased a little by the start of the season. We weren’t really that good. And in comparison to last season we are light years better. On a macro level I still expected to finish around, or just below, .500 for the season and that’s still a tremendous improvement for this team.
Last night may have been different (I missed the second half), but Okobo has been IMO one of the best at the .5 offense. By that I mean he DOES NOT dribble the ball around a lot. He's not a great facilitator by any means and he isn't my favorite player, but I rarely see him just dribbling around "meaninglessly".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Okobo is basically a shooting guard in a point guards body. He doesn't turn the ball over much (only 1 turnover last night) which is something the Suns needed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okobo doesn't really provide anything, except during garbage time minutes. Still too much arch on his shot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Last night may have been different (I missed the second half), but Okobo has been IMO one of the best at the .5 offense. By that I mean he DOES NOT dribble the ball around a lot. He's not a great facilitator by any means and he isn't my favorite player, but I rarely see him just dribbling around "meaninglessly".
Last night he did just that down the stretch. Lots of nothing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thoughts:

Still need at least one power forward, likely two, a back-up shooting guard and possibly a back-up point guard (though I remain curious to see what Ty Jerome brings if/when he plays). Still, things are at least on an upward trajectory, and we still have a fantastic coach and a point guard who is at least competent (even though he really can't shoot).

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough two loses to Celtics and kings... need to beat pelicans and Timberwolves to syay above .5oo

Hope suns still at .500 or above when ayton reurns soon

Hope rubio returns to full health soon

Go su.s don't get to down after these loses...

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Thoughts:

I was one of the biggest opponents to drafting Okobo over Melton or Carter specifically due to his poor D. His footwork was sloppy and his timing was bad. But in one of the preseason games I noticed he showed marked improvements from last season. Last night he played well with his feet and maintained good body position. He's not Carter or Melton, but he sure has improved on the Defensive end. And boasting a 5:1 TO ratio while playing decent D is REALLY good for the 4th string PG passing to the 4th string C.

He also is better at running the O than Carter. Man, I love Carter, but he has been the Cowardly Lion on Offense. He's passing on open shots and not creating any O for his team. For him to be most effective, and fair to his skill set, he HAS to hit open 3's. He's the perfect 3&D backup PG. I don't think he should do much else. But right now he is cowering at the prospect of shooting. Frank went through a dry spell and shot his way out of it. Carter needs to do the same.

I totally agree on Booker. He's made stupid TO after stupid TO in big moments. I can't remember the game, but he made like 3 in a row one night. He's dribbling right into the top of the paint and allowing the Gs to come pick his pocket. Hope he's getting hammered in the film room (Superstar that he is).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was one of the biggest opponents to drafting Okobo over Melton or Carter specifically due to his poor D. His footwork was sloppy and his timing was bad. But in one of the preseason games I noticed he showed marked improvements from last season. Last night he played well with his feet and maintained good body position. He's not Carter or Melton, but he sure has improved on the Defensive end. And boasting a 5:1 TO ratio while playing decent D is REALLY good for the 4th string PG passing to the 4th string C.

He also is better at running the O than Carter. Man, I love Carter, but he has been the Cowardly Lion on Offense. He's passing on open shots and not creating any O for his team. For him to be most effective, and fair to his skill set, he HAS to hit open 3's. He's the perfect 3&D backup PG. I don't think he should do much else. But right now he is cowering at the prospect of shooting. Frank went through a dry spell and shot his way out of it. Carter needs to do the same.

I totally agree on Booker. He's made stupid TO after stupid TO in big moments. I can't remember the game, but he made like 3 in a row one night. He's dribbling right into the top of the paint and allowing the Gs to come pick his pocket. Hope he's getting hammered in the film room (Superstar that he is).
Should have drafted the guy I wanted over all of them. Devonte' Graham is tearing it up this year.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Should have drafted the guy I wanted over all of them. Devonte' Graham is tearing it up this year.
I posted this in May that year...
If the Suns are looking for a true PG in this draft they'd need a guy who:

- passes first
- can drain the 3
- plays solid D
- can run an offense

Devonte' Graham fulfills all 4 of those.

- Averaged 7.2 assists with a 2.6 A:TO
- Hit 41% from 3 his senior year and has been consistent all 4 years
- Is a solid defender with good instincts (1.6 s/g)
- Ran Kansas's O and was THE leader on the court

Watching film he passes the eye test as well. He's in on every play. He is always looking to make his team mates better. His passes are smart and in the flow of the offense. He's a senior, which is actually what we need when it comes to experience. He's got decent size at 6-2, but has a good 6-6 reach that he uses to his advantage. His draft stock is low because he doesn't stand out. This guy isn't looking to be the Alpha like Trae, he's just looking to be a solid contributor. Which bodes well next to Book, JJ, and Ayton.

He's exactly the type of player we need at the PG spot. Could be had at #31. Depending on the draft process, might sneak into the 1st round.

But to be fair I liked a lot of prospects available at #31; including Mitchell Robinson. That year, I had a super difficult time deciding who I wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson