Suns @ Kings 2-10-19

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Poop Head

Poop Head Señor Caca Cabeza

I was guessing on that, primarily based it on what Jackson's set to make since both were the #4 pick and just a year apart. Apparently the rookie scale jumped a bit because what Jackson's making is quite a bit more than Bender. Jackson's in his 2nd year now and is making $6,041,520 while Bender wasn't even going to make that in his 4th, it would have been $5,896,519. That's quite the difference. I know rookies can sign for up to 125% of the designated rookie scale that's set by the league but I didn't think it would be that much of a difference. I thought the majority of players signed for that 125% amount, that's what I'd read in a few articles about rookie pay in the past, although it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Suns were able to cheap out on Bender and he just took what was first offered.

Salary info, Bender - https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/dragan-bender-20209/

Jackson - https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/josh-jackson-23599/

2. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

120%, I think, but yes, the rookie scale can move quite a bit from one year to the next. I don't know why. The increase in the third-year salary to the fourth-year salary is in the 26-27% range for top picks.

3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I think the fact that other than Booker and Josh the team shot 1 for 19 from the 3 point line had a lot to do with the outcome.

4. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

i agree. we all produce better when we are empowered at our job rather than just performing for someone else whose leadership we may not respect or whose decision making and communication are questionable -- on or off the court

even when Booker is scoring and passing it may not be as effective as the rest of the players being more involved in passing and scoring among themselves, without a dominating presence to defer to

Josh is a good example of a player who is a better leader than follower
    and any 4 combination of Josh, Oubre, Holmes, Melton, and Bridges has chemistry together that is partly diminished with Booker on the floor.

that being said, most teams have a dominant stud and if they are also a respected leader they can all work out their roles together -- or a strong coach can do it for them

5. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

6. Proximo

Proximo Registered

7. 95pro

95pro Registered

8. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Not good at all. He played 4 minutes last night in a game that was never competitive. I hope that's what he is referring to, and not that he feels like his mentorship is falling on deaf ears. It's never a good look to air these types of complaints publicly...but if his goal was to get bought out, that should accomplish it. There's no upside for the Suns to have an irritated 38-year-old on the bench; especially someone the younger players respect who is likely not talking up the Suns to them.

This team desperately needs a culture change.

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I do not put a lot of faith in (+/-). When looking at it for a single game it is often misleading.

My response was in reference to Bender having a +1 (+0) against the Kings giving him two + games in a row.

10. Mainstreet

It's a stat I have found mostly meaningless short term yet fans like to use it.

I guess it has some value long term but most of the time I prefer the eye test as to what is working.

11. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

Because the rookie scale is tied to the cap I believe.

Also in the last CBA between 2016-2017 changes were made

12. Mainstreet

I was reading comments from Kokoskov after the game. This one explanation is really getting old.

Here is an excerpt from a Duane Rankin article:

“They threw the first punch,” Kokoskov said. “We knew they were going to throw the first punch. They're going to come hard at us. We were not ready to accept that punch. We knew it was coming. We didn't take it serious.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-but-suns-fall-flat-against-kings/2833928002/

Every team is going to try to throw the first punch. Expect it every game.

13. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

that's the kind of thing Ayton was getting at in his recent remarks.

this coach speaks in rhetorical generalities without laying down a blue-print
    --clear defined strategy or roles
    e.g. "play hard but don't foul"
    all coaches do it to some degree
    but good coaches instruct players on how to "walk the walk" instead of just "talking the talk"

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  14. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

as for Crawford's "Few things worse than the feeling of wasted time..."
    i like it. a lot.

he's releasing some frustration in the right way
    open ended remorse that does not exclude his own responsibility

to me, it reinforces that he cares
    and has been trying to make his time on and off the court valuable
    because it's more than just a job

15. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

He's been a good addition. So yeah, it's just his frustration at not following up on a good effort against GS. The youngsters have a lot of growing up to do, to let another youngster (Bagly) basically take them to the woodshed. I'd be super PO'd. Freaking Bender should be playing like HE's got something to prove to the rook.