Suns @ Jazz Wednesday game thread 1-26-2022

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's pretty glaring when the other starters were a combined -3 and Booker is +18.
Im not saying Booker didn't play great. Just that single game +/- can be deceiving with regards to individual player performance. For example, Elfrid Payton was +10 with 0 points shooting 0-3. He did have 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, and 1 steal in 11 minutes, but I don't think anyone would argue he was our third best player tonight after....Ish Wainwright with a +12.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the best and worst of Booker on display.
terrific 1st quarter, excellent stats overall, but...
typical bad fouls followed by a tech in the 2nd contributing to the loss of a 21 pt lead

when CP3 has the ball the team stays in motion because they know they'll be rewarded.

twice in the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter Booker stood behind the 3 pt line dribbling the ball in place most of the possession until finally tanking a 3 -- with his teammates also standing in place because they knew they weren't likely to get a pass

You must be registered for see images attach

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not saying Booker didn't play great. Just that single game +/- can be deceiving with regards to individual player performance. For example, Elfrid Payton was +10 with 0 points shooting 0-3. He did have 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, and 1 steal in 10 minutes, but I don't think anyone would argue he was our third best player tonight after....Ish Wainwright with a +12.

Correct it's indicative that the team as a whole played dramatically better with Booker on the court than off.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stats don't lie. I'm looking at the box score and not a lot there for the Suns.

Booker had 43 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists and a steal while Chris Paul had 21 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists.

The only other player in double figures was Biyombo with 12.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have clicked on it like 6 times thinking it will play.

I feel super dumb regardless of the outcome at this point
I am SURE it’s my fault! I am so tech challenged that I’m surprised any image showed up at all.

For the record, it was video of my TV where Mark Jackson and Booker talked for a minute in the middle of SVP’s Suns segment.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Correct it's indicative that the team as a whole played dramatically better with Booker on the court than off.
Yes but it's not necessarily indicative of the player being responsible for the improved play, as Payton and Wainwright highlight. It can be noisy game to game. It is indicative of individual player performance in large sample sizes. Interestingly, the stat is responsible for showing Shane Battier's hidden value back in the day, and I believe that is what launched it's popularity today.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team just keeps finding ways to win games. I know the Jazz were without their 2 top guys, but they had everyone else... we were a 9 man team and missing our 6th man and our entire front court minus Biz, who had a rough night.

All these other teams around the league make excuses for their struggles and we just go out and freaking win games.

These last few games have been a bit dicey but when Ayton and Crowder get back out there I have little doubt that we will get back to winning most games in blow out style.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team just keeps finding ways to win games. I know the Jazz were without their 2 top guys, but they had everyone else... we were a 9 man team and missing our 6th man and our entire front court minus Biz, who had a rough night.

All these other teams around the league make excuses for their struggles and we just go out and freaking win games.

These last few games have been a bit dicey but when Ayton and Crowder get back out there I have little doubt that we will get back to winning most games in blow out style.
The NBA championship is a test of attrition. People are blaming Covid for their depleted rosters, but every team in the league is dealing with the same virus. Some teams have more vaccinated players than others, some players are more careful than others in avoiding sickness. That is all part of the competition. It's like injuries. Part of putting together a roster is choosing players who are skilled, can work together as a team, but durability is a factor as well. The Nets and Lakers chose to build super teams from older players with injury histories. They took the risk and it has bitten them.

Strategizing to stay healthy is part of the game. Pop understood this and would strategically rest players at the end of the year in order to be healthy for the playoffs. He understood that the NBA season is a marathon, not a sprint.

This young team is deep and has been able to weather sickness and injury because James Jones built a roster that is able to do that. Our biggest vulnerability is a 37-year-old point guard. That is our big gamble. If he goes down, we cannot complain. It is the risk we took.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CP3 is, indeed, a risk. that's why we should mitigate it with a real backup pg. Payton is not fit for garbage time (has speed but his decision-making is so bad he gets more shots blocked than he makes) and Cam Payne is a CP1 -- a scorer. What we need is a CP2 -- a facilitator off the bench for the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, the same depleted Jazz squad took GS down to the wire and we’ve seen GS lose to atrocious teams like the Pacers recently.

Down 2 starters and 4 key players overall, winning 8 straight is a feat especially for a team that isn’t built around superstars but more the overall TEAM DYNAMIC.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 is, indeed, a risk. that's why we should mitigate it with a real backup pg. Payton is not fit for garbage time (has speed but his decision-making is so bad he gets more shots blocked than he makes) and Cam Payne is a CP1 -- a scorer. What we need is a CP2 -- a facilitator off the bench for the playoffs.
On this we can agree. Payton is unplayable. Every time he goes to the basket I’m expecting it to either get blocked or stripped. And more often than not that’s what happens.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Suns continue to exemplify how far away the Cards are from creating the culture and structure necessary to win.

No matter the circumstances, they always bring the effort, they play harder and smarter than their opponents, and they have a clear system and roles.

I have so much respect for Book and CP, just incredible leaders.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this. I am willing to give up any of Smith, Kaminsky, Saric, Shamet, or Payton, along with picks, to get one.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesom sweep by suns in 2 gms vs jazz

Book has been on fire hope plays this well in poffs espcially book 3 now

Green edibles time to w doin edibles now :) givin lungs break

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave