OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Marks‏Verified account @BobbyMarks42

The smart play for Phoenix is to put a waiver claim in for Jordan McRae and inherit his early bird rights. McRae has a $1.7M FA cap hold that the Suns can take advantage of and still have ample cap space. Phoenix currently sits no. 10 in the waiver claim order.

11:41 AM - 1 Mar 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Losing Oubre seems to have been a gut-punch to this young team. They are reeling. They have talent. They should win games, but they are not very strong mentally and emotionally. As much as I love Booker, he is not Kobe, MJ, or KG in his mental focus. Hopefully he improves.

They need something. Adding McRae can't hurt.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He appears to be a good addition, basically an avg. nba player, who has the ability to hit the 3 and occasionally score 30.

will be interesting to see if he can run the offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is saying anything new but if the Suns claim McRae off waivers I understand they have to pay him at his current salary.

Chris Haynes‏Verified account @ChrisBHaynes

Phoenix Suns intend to put in a waiver claim on swingman Jordan McRae, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

7:07 PM - 1 Mar 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is saying anything new but if the Suns claim McRae off waivers I understand they have to pay him at his current salary.

Phoenix Suns intend to put in a waiver claim on swingman Jordan McRae, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Yes, but they get his bird rights which are only a 1.5 hold against the cap.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes. But then he also doesn't have a choice. He has to play here. I think that probably matters. . . sadly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw McRae listed in a few trade deadline articles as a good shooter off the bench that would be a low cost option for a contender. He's had a good season so far, before being moved, and could provide some outside shooting and scoring off the bench.

I guess he'd rather play than ride the bench though. He does have a title already that he won in Cleveland in his rookie year. He was a Sun that season also, 2015-16. He was brought in on a 10 day contract days before Hornacek was fired and Watson took over. After his second 10 day deal expired is when he signed with Cleveland for the duration of their season and playoff run.

Not a bad move and I doubt are any better wings available right now to fill the void left by Oubre's injury.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basketball Reference has McRae list as a point guard and shooting guard so maybe he can help help at all three positions 1-3.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those that don't click that D-Rose article, it mentions that McRae's fate will be decided Wednesday afternoon. The Pistons are behind the Suns in the standings so they are ahead of them in the waiver wire claim order. If they put in a request for him then he's theirs and the Suns can't do anything about it.

So we'll know what happens with McRae by this time tomorrow, at the latest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should be posted somewhere but I will put it here for closure. The Pistons are claiming Jordan McRae off waivers.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

The Detroit Pistons are claiming G/F Jordan McRae off waivers, league sources tell ESPN. He agreed to a buyout with Denver. Phoenix had hoped to claim McRae but Detroit’s worse record allows Pistons to be higher on waiver list.

1:02 PM - 4 Mar 2020

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose