Suns interested in Jimmer Fredette

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Except when we signed IT we already had 2 good PGs on the team. In this case we don't have that situation to make it a logjam.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, don't shoot me, but this seems kind of like signing Isaiah Thomas again?

I look at Fredette as a role player.

Isaiah Thomas was an established point guard when he arrived in Phoenix averaging 20.3 points and 6.3 assists his last season with the Kings.

Thomas started for both the Kings and Celtics.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Holy crap. 40 in the fourth quarter. How bad is the competition over there?
They play at a fast pace and the defenses are poor. That being said he is a talented shooter/scorer, but obviously not at nearly the extent that he has been in China.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I like the signing because it gives us the end of the season to see how he meshes as a veteran influence. Jones said he wanted to sign at least 3 veterans for next year. The reality is that there is no way we can sign 3 10+million veterans. We will probably sign one veteran at 10+ million, 1 at around 5 million, and one for super cheap. If Jimmer can fill that super cheap veteran slot and contribute around 10 minutes a game then more power to him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like the signing because it gives us the end of the season to see how he meshes as a veteran influence. Jones said he wanted to sign at least 3 veterans for next year. The reality is that there is no way we can sign 3 10+million veterans. We will probably sign one veteran at 10+ million, 1 at around 5 million, and one for super cheap. If Jimmer can fill that super cheap veteran slot and contribute around 10 minutes a game then more power to him.

I think that Jones said he wanted veterans who can play. Jimmer probably can't play. I mean, I am rooting for the guy- he seems like a nice guy, but he probably would have been in the NBA the past three years if he could play.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Jones said he wanted veterans who can play. Jimmer probably can't play. I mean, I am rooting for the guy- he seems like a nice guy, but he probably would have been in the NBA the past three years if he could play.

If Jimmer could play he wouldn't have signed with us over a playoff team. Playoff teams can always add shooting, which Jimmer offers. We don't know who else had interest but at this point in the year it does say something about him if he signed with us considering we have the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the Suns were the only team interested in Jimmer or he thought this was his best chance to stick with a team next season.

However, after the success of Oubre and Tyler Johnson I will be slow to criticize.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think guys who aren’t stars or starters, in this case not even in the NBA, see playing for a team as an opportunity to get them into a rotation.

Jimmer on a roster even into next year.
Oubre as a starter making more $$
Johnson as a starter running his own team.

The door is wide open on this team for somoeone to come in and play for us.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
We have the remaining games to see if that is true. If it is, then we cut him. I don’t see the downside.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We have the remaining games to see if that is true. If it is, then we cut him. I don’t see the downside.

Oh I agree. There is zero downside. I am all for giving Jimmer plenty of playing time the rest of the season.