suns hoping for bobby jackson/TT for less than MLE

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I agree JC. I don't want to sign him to a long contract because he is getting old and declining. I just think for this year he'd be great off the bench and help us on the way to a championship.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Contracts are always associated with risks. How much we pay Bobby J. mainly depends on how much his market value is at. I think if his health were of no major concern then 10 mil for 4 years would be a bargain for us.

As to TT, the only concern around the league is whether he'd get lazy after signing a long-term contract. I see we either take the risk and give him 25mil/5y or may do a 1 year deal with a player option for one more. If he proved himself and won a championship with us, he would still be able to cash in big on next year's FA market.

I don't like Hunter. He is at most adequate at guarding Duncan but can't really gurad Dirk, Brand or Shaq. His shot blocking is valuable but his rebounding is horrendous just as his offense.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
I don't like Hunter. He is at most adequate at guarding Duncan but can't really gurad Dirk, Brand or Shaq. His shot blocking is valuable but his rebounding is horrendous just as his offense.

Lindsey Hunter != Steven Hunter

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
A lineup of

nash
bell
marion
stat
diaw/kurt (depending on if they are playing a low post big)

with bench:

guards:
barbosa
hunter

frontline:
diaw/kurt
tim thomas

If healthy, that is a hell of a 9 man rotation, that most importantly can play more than one way (like dallas this year). If we have a healthy team, and go in with this lineup for next year, i'll worry about the future later.

Because with that lineup I don't sweat any team, not even san antonio (as we would finally have guys on our roster that would provide REASONABLE matchups with each of their big three, but would have guys on our side they couldn't match up, again as Dallas did this year). If we couldn't win a title with a healthy version of this team, it will have to be because a team was flat out better than us for 4 games.

totally agree - the future be damned if we could get that 9 man rotation and here's the reason why - if that team - with relatvie good health can't win a freaking title, no Suns team EVER will.

If that team above is healthy - NO ONE can beat us - and even if Amare's only at 75 or 80%, I still think no one can beat us. The match-up nightmare we could throw at EVERYONE would be frightening.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3170/career;_ylt=Ao1GTJNe1ycnQPZlnC7U1NKkvLYF

can someone tell me where TT faded into oblivion after he signed his contract. IF anything, he was VERY consistent and actually IMPROVED his stats after he signed the contract. Someone signed him to a HUGE deal, but just because someone made a horrible financial decision doesn't mean that Thomas did nothing afterward. Look at his stats - he actually has been VERY CONSISTENT throughout his career, but because someone put a ridiculous price-tag on him, people perceive that he's a lazy bum. Why is that? He enver put up astronomical numbers before the contract and never did afterward. He is what he is - a GREAT option of the bench and a player who has a knack for playing well deep in the playoffs. In the regular season, the guy has averaged 11.9 points per game, 4 boards on .442 % shooting and .37 from 3, but in the playoffs, he raise shis game to 13.66, 5 boards, 47% shooting and 44% from 3.

The problem with Thomas is that he's perceived to have fallen off the face of the earth after he signed in his contract, when in reality - he just never really deserved ANY OF THAT KIND OF MONEY - but his play never suffered because of it. And who knows what the hell happened in Chicago - that's definitely a mystery.

Yeah it looks like his stats have remained fairly consistent, and he does seem to be overpaid. But I cant help to have a negative feeling when the Bulls sent home a max-contract player because his piss-poor attitude was affecting the younger players.

The Suns are as close as they have been to a Championship, however they don't need to start handing out Isiah Thomas-like contracts. They need to stay disciplined and plan for the future with this contract.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Cardinal said:
Yeah it looks like his stats have remained fairly consistent, and he does seem to be overpaid. But I cant help to have a negative feeling when the Bulls sent home a max-contract player because his piss-poor attitude was affecting the younger players.

The Suns are as close as they have been to a Championship, however they don't need to start handing out Isiah Thomas-like contracts. They need to stay disciplined and plan for the future with this contract.

Are you honestly worried about anything like this from the Suns?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Jay Cardinal said:

Isiah would love to have a guy scoring 12ppg in 26 mins/game for the MLE. How can any MLE contract be an Isiah Thomas type contract??

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I don't think TT will be a problem. If he signs for less than the MLE then I really believe he wants to be here and will put in the effort to help us win a championship. Also, Kurt Thomas is his friend and one of the people that tried to get him here. I think he will keep TT going.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but my recollection is that Tim Thomas got that ridiculous contract after he had a great playoffs. Then when the next regular season rolled around he played more like a mid-level player. I'm sure the people that gave him that contract (Milwaukee I believe) expected him to improve on his playoff performance since he was young and had the natural talent.

Actually, the knocks on Tim Thomas wouldn't all show up in a stat line. Most people would expect him to be a better rebounder, but more importantly he's had the reputation (deserved) as a piss poor defender.

Tim Thomas is 30 years old, isn't he? I'd feel comfortable giving him a three-year contract. If it took 4 years to get him I could deal with it. There's no way I think we should sign him for five years, and I have my doubts that the Phoenix Suns would be willing to give him a contract that long. If they do, it will be with the plans of using draft picks or promising players to unload him in a couple years.

Joe Mama

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
On Gambo and Ash yesterday, they said anyone they bring in to fill out the roster will get NO MORE than a 1 yr deal. Also, Gambo said he thinks the Suns will sign Diaw to a long term extension this summer, and they will let Barbosa ride out his current deal and look to do a S&T next summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but my recollection is that Tim Thomas got that ridiculous contract after he had a great playoffs. Then when the next regular season rolled around he played more like a mid-level player. I'm sure the people that gave him that contract (Milwaukee I believe) expected him to improve on his playoff performance since he was young and had the natural talent.

Actually, the knocks on Tim Thomas wouldn't all show up in a stat line. Most people would expect him to be a better rebounder, but more importantly he's had the reputation (deserved) as a piss poor defender.

Tim Thomas is 30 years old, isn't he? I'd feel comfortable giving him a three-year contract. If it took 4 years to get him I could deal with it. There's no way I think we should sign him for five years, and I have my doubts that the Phoenix Suns would be willing to give him a contract that long. If they do, it will be with the plans of using draft picks or promising players to unload him in a couple years.

Joe Mama

TT actually turned 29 in Feb and as far as having a GREAT playoffs? Here's the numbers on TT:

http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=THOMATI01

Anyone remember when he got that extension? I believe it was the year the Bucks got to the ECF - where TT averaged 11.3 points per game. Even if it was the year before, where he averaged 15 points per game - that's hardly what I'd call a GREAT playoff performance, especially since it only lasted one round. In reality, people just didn't realize that TT is a very good role player, who steps his game up in the playoffs - and that's all. Actaully almost everyone DID realize it except the Bucks who were roasted for giving him that kind of jack and after that, I think people were just lazy and decided that TT didn't live up to the contract. Well, no sh*t - everyone already said he wasn't worth the contract, what the hell did they expect?

The guy IS the FA equivalent of Raja Bell - a GREAT role player who we thought was going to come off the bench and provide a veteran presence and an element toughness to the team (note - NOT defense - but toughness in TT's case, not to mention timely shooting). Get the deal done and let the chips fall where they may.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
PHX should just be prepared for what TT delivers on a consistent basis during the regular season. He's been know to coast. And, that can drive coaches crazy.

Mike D has already made a comment in that they already know this about TT, but they'll learn to live with it.

If I'm PHX, no way in hell do I give him more than a 3 year contract.

And, yes, I would take Matt Harpring and Bobby Jackson over TT.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
sly fly said:

I sure as hell wouldnt

You're talking about two players that are injury prone.

Not to mention that we already have similar players in James Jones and Leandro Barbosa.

Tim Thomas is our only bigman that can spread the floor with his 3 point shooting.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
sly fly said:
PHX should just be prepared for what TT delivers on a consistent basis during the regular season. He's been know to coast. And, that can drive coaches crazy.

Mike D has already made a comment in that they already know this about TT, but they'll learn to live with it.

If I'm PHX, no way in hell do I give him more than a 3 year contract.

I agreed with you up until your last point. Harpring and Jackson over TT?

Excuse me while I :barf:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to play the devil's advocate, let's say TT wants too much money and a long term contract the Suns do not want to give him. I know the Suns have KT and may be able to go to battle with that, but I would like more depth along the frontline.

Does a team out there have any extra young centers already signed to a reasonable contract that the Suns could get (perhaps using a sign and trade) using a pick, James Jones and the TE if necessary?

I keep thinking Chris Wilcox would have been a perfect fit though the Suns would have had to probably move KT. I would really have liked to see Wilcox in a Suns uniform and he would have been good insurance for Amare's health. I know Seattle will make every effort to keep him (and his new contract will be huge), however, if KT were used in such a trade, it would probably buy the Suns a couple of years before they have to get rid of more contracts. I know getting Wilcox is undoubtedly unrealistic.

No one seems to like Hunter or Melvin Ely much, so how about Pachulia or Gadzuric in a sign and trade. There must be others as well.

Or if the Suns can keep their frontline, how about a sign and trade for a young PG or combo guard signed to a reasonable contract. I would prefer to go into next year's draft really only needing to fill one position and BPA.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to fill one of the Suns most glearing needs with another young player (at the 4/5 position or combo guard position).

So does anyone have any good ideas using one of next year's probable three picks as bait to get a quality player now? I know the Suns can just hold tight and sees who drops in their laps.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I agreed with you up until your last point. Harpring and Jackson over TT?

Excuse me while I :barf:

Reasons: I've like both players for a long time. Both are high-energy players who leave it on the floor every night. Yes, both have been dealing with injuries... but don't count these guys out.

Harpring gradually increased his minutes last year, and Sloan had a hard time keeping him off the floor.

Bobby Jackson was at one point only a couple years ago, one of the most feared scorers in the game. 32 years old is not an invitation to Sun City. Let's not get picky here. PHX still needs a veteran backup PG, or Stevie Nash will encounter the same dead legs he had in this year's playoffs.

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend PHX's bench is deep. It's not.

I'll take 1-year contracts for both of these guys, rather than get hamstrung by TT's 3-5 year deals.

That being said, the TT of this years playoffs was sick. I'm just worried he'll lose his desire and revert to the player that's been criticized his entire career for.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Sam "Alien" Cassell wouldn't be bad but I guess he feels like he has taken less money to play on championship caliber teams enough times already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Cassell would be a good fit behind Nash. I'm not sure of his status but he probably wants more money than the Suns can give. I was impressed he had so much gas left in the tank at age 36 (?).

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Sam Cassell would be a good fit behind Nash. I'm not sure of his status but he probably wants more money than the Suns can give. I was impressed he had so much gas left in the tank at age 36 (?).

He wants $8 million a year for 2 years to stay with the Clips. If he goes elsewhere it will be for the full MLE

I doubt Cassell would be happy here with the lack of money and playing time

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
He wants $8 million a year for 2 years to stay with the Clips. If he goes elsewhere it will be for the full MLE

I doubt Cassell would be happy here with the lack of money and playing time

I agree. He is much too costly for the Suns, but I think he would get a lot of playing time behind Nash.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, I am hoping that whoever they get will be someone DAntoni has confidence in, because if he doesn't Nash doesn't get any rest.

That's why it was pointless to draft a pf that DAntoni didn't like (let's face, he ought to know a good pg when he sees one).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, I am hoping that whoever they get will be someone DAntoni has confidence in, because if he doesn't Nash doesn't get any rest.

That's why it was pointless to draft a pf that DAntoni didn't like (let's face, he ought to know a good pg when he sees one).