playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Suns decide to pass on picks
With draft targets gone, Suns save cash for T. Thomas bid

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 29, 2006 12:00 AM

The Suns went into the draft wanting to land a player that could make them better for next season, the one they feel is their best shot at winning a championship before finances become the biggest gorilla in US Airways Center.

Phoenix entered Wednesday's NBA draft with more contingencies than a will to trade up for one on a short list of players who could help it immediately. Instead, the Suns left draft night without a first-round pick for the third straight year. They made two trades they hope give them a better shot at the player they know can help them - Tim Thomas.

Phoenix's draft targets, particularly Swiss swingman Thabo Sefolosha, all escaped their grasp by the middle of the first round. Left only to consider Michigan State's Shannon Brown as a viable pick at No. 21, Phoenix traded it instead to Boston for a top-10 protected pick in 2007 the Celtics got from Cleveland. Boston also took on Brian Grant's $1.8 million player option, but he is expected to retire.
advertisement

The Suns dealt the 27th pick to Portland for $3 million. David Griffin, Suns vice president of basketball operations, said the moves saved Phoenix about $9 million (the $3 million, the $1.8 million in Grant's salary, the $2 million in guaranteed draft-pick salaries and about $3.2 million in luxury tax).

With Eddie House expected to opt out, Nikoloz Tskitishvili unlikely to return and talk that James Jones might be traded to create cap space, Phoenix may be looking at nine returnees. The hope is that Thomas will return for less than the midlevel exception (about $5 million) and some veteran free agents, such as Bobby Jackson, will sign minimum deals.

"We have a problem that we have too many good players," said Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, also the team's executive vice president and general manager. "That's a heck of a problem to have and we're going to solve that by trying to keep everybody together.

"We might catch the fever, win a couple titles and then nobody goes anywhere."

The Suns made several plays to move into the first half of the draft, including offering three first-round picks or two first-round picks and cash. Phoenix thought it had a chance to snag Boston's No. 7 pick, where the Suns would have been torn between selecting Connecticut wing Rudy Gay or Sefolosha. But that was squelched.

Phoenix again made more attempts to get the ensuing picks but once Utah would not bite on a deal at No. 14, the Suns' trade hopes were done. The surprise of Saer Sene going 10th and Chicago (which took Sefolosha at No. 13 in a trade) catching wind of Phoenix's hopes on Sefolosha hurt Phoenix. Once Memphis swingman Rodney Carney was selected at No. 16, Phoenix was out of the draft.

Phoenix deemed Connecticut's Marcus Williams to be too much of a half-court player to solve the backup point guard issue and thought Kentucky's Rajon Rondo was too small. The Suns considered Brown, an athletic wing, but don't think he is point material.

D'Antoni said they did not want to "get a young player who's going to eat up some room and just sit there and not get any time and not develop."

The Suns could have three picks in next year's draft, a much deeper one. If Cleveland's pick is not in the top 10 and Atlanta's is not in the top three, they get both.

But as D'Antoni put it, the worst-case scenario is the Suns are still really good. With nobody they wanted, economics presided as Phoenix faces a huge luxury tax problem in the 2007-08 season, when expected long-term deals for Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa would start. The Suns can negotiate with them exclusively through October. If no deals are done, they will become restricted free agents next summer.

"If we get them at a great number that they're happy with and we're happy with, I'll walk to France and Brazil to get it done," D'Antoni said. "But if they want something they're happy with and we're not, we're not going to do it. We're not going to bid against ourselves."
------------------------------------------------------------------

interesting plan, we'll see how it pans out starting this weekend.

if you're sarver, at 12 am july 1st are you at Tim Thomas' door, Boris Diaw's door, or Leandro Barbosa's door? or, do you just have your champaign & caviar & hit the sack...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbosa is going to be a free agent next year. The Suns will offer him $2 mil or $3 mil and his agent's going to smile as he walks out the door.

I'm guessing the Suns will consider Tim Thomas the priority because he's a UFA right now. Ideally, however, the Suns will settle with Diaw first, if it's even possible, for a measuring stick of how many years they'll be able to offer TT. If Diaw wants more than $8 mil on, say, a five year contract, I'm guessing he'll be offered up to free agency, too, and TT would be tendered probably close to the full MLE.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
the last time i saw Bobby jax alot was when he was with the kings.

:bhiich:

B-Jax doesn't make any more sense on this team than Barbosa, but you can't deny the electricity he brings off the bench. He and Barbosa in the backcourt would be very small, but they would provide an unguardable tandem on offense. Unlike Barbs, Jackson knows how to D it up, even at 6-foot. He's basically a much, much better version of Eddie House.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://www.nbaobsessed.com/2006/06/10/bobby-jackson-to-leave-grizzlies/
Jackson said he was not a fan of Grizzlies’ coach Mike Fratello’s system and criticized the coach for not knowing how to use him.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jacksbo01.html

Third on the list of Jackson's similarity scores in 2004--Eddie House 2006. That was two years ago, of course.

My first thought about the BJax idea: does anybody really think he'll sign for the minimum? He hasn't banked much money in his career, by NBA standards. If Jackson gets a $1.5m offer, I don't see how the Suns can compete with that.

Second thought: the whole "wow, he really would have helped us four years ago" vibe reminds me of Brian Grant before last season. Jackson is 32--old for a guard, very old for a short shooting guard--he was injured all of 2004, and his shooting percentage in 2005 was the lowest of his career. There's a good chance BJax will crap out next year, even if he doesn't get hurt, and if either of those things happen, the Suns' depth at guard is right back to where it was this year, or even worse.

The sad part is, he's probably better than what's available at the minimum.

The important thing about this article is that Coro says JR is likely to be traded, not for a player, but for cap space. Looks like the #27 money is going into Sarver's pocket, and that the Suns will be showing up with a depth disadvantage against the top teams for another year.
"We might catch the fever, win a couple titles and then nobody goes anywhere."
Translation--good luck with your new team in 2007, Leandro. :|

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TT is gonna be offered less than the mid-level and Bobby Jackson's going to be offered minimum - is that the 1.8 excpetion? Or are we planning on splitting the difference between the two of them? If the latter is the case, you can kiss TT goodbye IMO. And if we our best offer to Boris is 8 million, I'd laugh in his face if I was his agent and the rest of the league would be salivating at a JJ2 scenario.

Boris is our Manu, Prince, Rip - get the deal done at a fair price and don't let him hit RFA por favor.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
TT is gonna be offered less than the mid-level and Bobby Jackson's going to be offered minimum - is that the 1.8 excpetion?
No, just a minimum salary.

The TT thing sounds like he's getting the Raja Bell offer--just enough less than the MLE that the player says, "I guess I'm not guaranteed a full MLE offer anyway, so I might as well sign this". (The point is for the Suns to save a little money; the remainder of the exception isn't useful, as it won't be significantly more than the vet's minimum.) The Suns might give TT four years, but it wouldn't shock me if they offered three years or five.

cheesebeef said:
Boris is our Manu, Prince, Rip - get the deal done at a fair price and don't let him hit RFA por favor.

Co-signed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
We dont have the LLE, or 1.8 exception, this year. A team can only use it every 2 years, and we used it on Grant last summer.

we're not the Spurs or the Heat - ain't no way BJax signs for league minimum here.

If this team let's go of anyone sans JR, I'll be furious - especially after last night. It will prove bottom line dollar takes precedence over anything else IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a Bell offer should be a fair amount for TT.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what would you guys rather have happen? Get Matt Hapring and Bobby Jackson or just TT?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
And if we our best offer to Boris is 8 million, I'd laugh in his face if I was his agent and the rest of the league would be salivating at a JJ2 scenario.

Maybe the Hawks will offer Boris $70 mil/5 to return and we could take Marvin Williams and two first-round picks for the exchange.

Hey, it worked the first time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Maybe the Hawks will offer Boris $70 mil/5 to return and we could take Marvin Williams and two first-round picks for the exchange.

Hey, it worked the first time.

yeah - but that was when the owners were able to freeze out Belkin (the guy who didn't want to make the deal). Doesn't he control the team now? Fool me once... although they did just draft that stiff from Duke...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
what would you guys rather have happen? Get Matt Hapring and Bobby Jackson or just TT?

I'd probably take TT and see if I could find a hidden gem in the undrafted rookies for a guard. It's easier to find a guard who can do one or two things than to find a 6-10 forward who can do all that TT can do.

I just don't want to sign TT to five years. If that's what it takes, I'd tell Thomas to take a hike to NJ or Charlotte or wherever else he might draw interest. He'd have to agree to very reasonable salary if he even wants four years. I like the guy, but if I were D'Antoni, I wouldn't hitch my boat to his career on long-term guaranteed contracts.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
we're not the Spurs or the Heat - ain't no way BJax signs for league minimum here.
Apparently, Phx management thinks we are.

cheesebeef said:
If this team let's go of anyone sans JR, I'll be furious - especially after last night. It will prove bottom line dollar takes precedence over anything else IMO.
I'll go further than that--I'll be furious if the Suns get rid of JR and don't replace him a decent player.

I'm OK with the idea that the Suns have a strict budget with the upper limit at the luxury tax line. I'm not OK with the idea that the Suns are going to sell picks and put the money in the owner's pocket. That $3m should buy the Suns $1m worth of wiggle room over the luxury tax limit, so if they don't use that room to improve the team, I'll be even angrier than I am now. :mad:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I just don't want to sign TT to five years. If that's what it takes, I'd tell Thomas to take a hike to NJ or Charlotte or wherever else he might draw interest.
Robert Horry made more than $25m from 2000 to 2004, the five seasons after his 29th birthday. I'm sure the Lakers and San Antonio don't call up to ask for their money back from those years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd think a 5 year 25 million dollar deal would get TT back here.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Robert Horry made more than $25m from 2000 to 2004, the five seasons after his 29th birthday. I'm sure the Lakers and San Antonio don't call up to ask for their money back from those years.

If I thought I would get Horry type of performance from TT for five years, I'd be more confident. I just don't know what to think of him based the unusual circumstances we acquired him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

if players are complaining about a slow style of basketball elsewhere the Phoenix Suns are an appealing alternative. Players know it is possible to come here for a season or two and increase their value dramatically. They all so know that we are going to be a legitimate contender like those other teams.

Joe

sunsfn

Reaction score
Do we really want Bobby Jackson? The last time I saw him play he looked "DONE"! :shrug:

TT is a must after this draft savings.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
if players are complaining about a slow style of basketball elsewhere the Phoenix Suns are an appealing alternative. Players know it is possible to come here for a season or two and increase their value dramatically. They all so know that we are going to be a legitimate contender like those other teams.

Joe

1) sorry Joe - but guys like BJax aren't coming here for a seaosn or two at the age of 32 to increase his value dramatically. At 34, the guy's gonna be done.

2) They also know that we've never won a title and are hardly the sure thing that a title defender (Miami) or a contender (Spurs) are with our main guy who's coming back from not only micro-fracture, but also another knee surgery.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Apparently, Phx management thinks we are.

I'll go further than that--I'll be furious if the Suns get rid of JR and don't replace him a decent player.

I'm OK with the idea that the Suns have a strict budget with the upper limit at the luxury tax line. I'm not OK with the idea that the Suns are going to sell picks and put the money in the owner's pocket. That $3m should buy the Suns $1m worth of wiggle room over the luxury tax limit, so if they don't use that room to improve the team, I'll be even angrier than I am now. :mad:

I Agree 100%

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave