Suns hire NBA's Morgan Cato as Assistant General manager and VP of basketball operations

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morgan Cato will report to James Jones.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

The Phoenix Suns are hiring the NBA's Morgan Cato as assistant general manager and vice president of basketball operations, making her one of the NBA's highest-ranking women in a league front office, sources told ESPN.

Cato -- who'll also become the first woman of color to hold the title of assistant GM -- will report to GM James Jones and work with coach Monty Williams on several fronts, including the leadership and strategy related to coaching development, player engagement and front office personnel operations, sources said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It certainly would go a long ways to improving the Suns image as Morgan Cato worked for the NBA league office.

Might this signal some movement in the NBA investigation regarding the Suns?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's official. The Suns hire Morgan Cato.

Assistant GM Trevor Bukstein remains in the Suns front office.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's official. The Suns hire Morgan Cato.

Assistant GM Trevor Bukstein remains in the Suns front office.

Have we mistreated her yet? How 'bout now?

I really hope this is part of our plan to move forward and that Sarver's involvement in day to day affairs has been handcuffed by his ownership group. If it's just a last ditch effort to try and show the world how fair and forward thinking the Sarver and his cronies are, it's going to fail and it's not likely to be fair to Morgan Cato either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we mistreated her yet? How 'bout now?

I really hope this is part of our plan to move forward and that Sarver's involvement in day to day affairs has been handcuffed by his ownership group. If it's just a last ditch effort to try and show the world how fair and forward thinking the Sarver and his cronies are, it's going to fail and it's not likely to be fair to Morgan Cato either.

The hire could foretell that Sarver is staying in place or it could be the first domino to fall.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Is it possible that Sarver is selling some shares and will remain part of the board, but will be replaced as majority owner? I don't know if we ever considered that possibility as some sort of middle ground.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that Sarver is selling some shares and will remain part of the board, but will be replaced as majority owner? I don't know if we ever considered that possibility as some sort of middle ground.
He wouldn't need to actually sell any shares, it's my understanding they can just vote someone else in as managing partner even if he maintains his current level of ownership. And until recently I thought there was a good chance that something like that would happen.

IMO there's just been too many awful stories for Sarver to survive. Plus, if he isn't forced out, I don't believe the NBA would want to deal with the backlash they'll likely face unless they can effectively refute the accusations of racist language and inapproriate behavior by the owner.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He wouldn't need to actually sell any shares, it's my understaning they can just vote someone else in as managing partner even if he maintains his current level of ownership. And until recently I thought there was a good chance that something like that would happen.

IMO there's just been too many awful stories for Sarver to survive. Plus, if he isn't forced out, I don't believe the NBA would want to deal with the backlash they'll likely face unless they can effectively refute the accusations of racist language and inapproriate behavior by the owner.
Gotcha. What's your thoughts on the timing of this hire? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to announce it now or after the inevitable ousting of Sarver. Unless Sarver isn't going to get ousted and this is just damage control before anything comes out. Strange timing on this. Considering how that one exec left just last week.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. What's your thoughts on the timing of this hire? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to announce it now or after the inevitable ousting of Sarver. Unless Sarver isn't going to get ousted and this is just damage control before anything comes out. Strange timing on this. Considering how that one exec left just last week.
Yeah, I'm confused by it too. I'm hoping that they all know Robert is out (Robert included) and they are taking steps to improve their post-Sarver era reputation.

But even though I really believe Sarver is about to be history, nothing much will surprise me. Actually that's not quite accurate, the problems from this investigation might linger for a long time but I'd be surprised if the report isn't released shortly after the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Suns ownership is setting the table for whatever decision the NBA makes.

If the NBA gets the results they want, perhaps an official ruling may not be necessary and they wrap up the investigation without litigation.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Indeed. It's entirely possible the other part of Suns ownership forces him out without the league having to act in any "official" manner. Either remove him as managing partner or "encourage" him to sell some or all of his ownership share.

In any case, this is undoubtedly a PR move to try and stem some of the negative image that is pervading the franchise. Time will tell if it is legitimate or superficial.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You people never learn this is the SUNS. We want him gone so obv hes gonna be here forever.

Good for Morgan she's certainly qualified. For me jury is still out on JJ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Morgan Cato breaking ground with the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic for her. Although the timing of all this extremely suspect. Congratulations to Morgan Cato though!

Lots of positive steps forward for the Suns during the past several years in the hire of James Jones, Monty Williams and Morgan Cato.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA